Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Community chat room - your views

Paul

Posted

In May of this year, Invision (the creators of the forum software) will be discontinuing the built in chat room. We do have the option to use one of a few 3rd party chat systems to replace it, but I wanted to get views from the community before taking a decision. 

The chatroom currently isn't very widely used, but does have a group of members frequently using it, so I'd be interested in hearing from both those who  do use it frequently, and those who aren't regular users or perhaps who have never used it before. 

For those using or interested in using it, what would you like to see in terms of features in the chat room? Is there anything the existing one does well, or not so well? 

For those not currently using it, accepting chat isn't for everyone, is there anything you'd like to see on there which would make it something you'd use a bit more often? 

Whether it be features, or ideas for ways to better utilise chat, please shout - your views will definitely be taken on board as we plan ahead.

Thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

I often visit the chat room, always been in favour in having one as its a good place to go to chat with like minded weather fanatics.

Although its been mainly quiet in there I would imagine during a proper wintry spell it would get some good action, something we've not seen since the chat room has been up and running.

With regards to the actual chat room itself, it doesn't need any features for me, other than being able to go in a chat, the current one is great in my opinion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I've only been using the chat room for a short time but I think it works quite well as it is other then being on the quiet side a lot of the time. I still go in there even if it's quiet so i'd definitely continue using it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I think it is a good place to get to know other members of net weather, other than on threads . It does have its regular users and isn't for everyone. The room can be quiet when the weather is uneventful, simply because those who use the chatroom don't use net weather either, when the weather is stuck in a rut. The chatroom is good because you don't have to talk weather, which again is useful with our pretty bland climate. I think the best way to advertise the chat room is to get notifications when your followers are in there, as you do when they post status updates etc, that way people will stop missing each other in there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I don't think there is nothing wrong with the chat room and it's format paul and it doesn't have to be weather related either,we can chat all we want that takes our fancy,what i whould say though and just a suggestion is that we may need a bigger heading for it so people can notice it more,some on here that has been here for a while know where the chat room is but for some new folk may not know where it is.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Would miss it! Not used it due to school/brownies/parties lately but it's nice to have an option of real live chat.  It's a shame not many fancy having a bit of banter with other members mind, it's nice to be able to relax and basically have a laugh. Be interesting to know why people don't want to use it. It would also be a shame to lose it for ever, why would they want to stop running it?

In an idea world  of course there would be a room for banter talk and one room for just weather , but I appreciate that probably wouldn't be possible.

Please keep it going! 

would be nice to see whos in the room , we had that and then it went.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2

Posted

I wonder why only a few of us have posted here when i know a few more use this service. C'mon peeps!

Edited by Dami

Posted

I enjoy using the chat room, there have been some interesting discussions, and not just about weather. Its a way of interacting with people who you wouldnt meet in the 'real' world owing to distance. It would be a shame if it was lost or became difficult to access.

Posted
54 minutes ago, Paul said:

We're running a beta-test of a new chat solution now, so the original chat room is currently closed. Please let us know how you find the new version, and if you find any bugs.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/babble/

That one looks good to me, nice simple layout.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I agree with Lassie, nice and clean and simple...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
1 hour ago, Paul said:

We're running a beta-test of a new chat solution now, so the original chat room is currently closed. Please let us know how you find the new version, and if you find any bugs.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/babble/

Just joined in there but can't see myself in any visitor list, also can't see any emoticons, but like the additional features showing such as font colour etc and notification count.

Unable to post in there also, or click on anything, but can see your 2 test messages

Posted

If you refresh the page a couple of times, the user list should show. Seems to be a bit of a bug in there currently which causes a misfire!

Posted

Not sure what i'm doing wrong, entered, tried to sent a message and when i pressed 'send' nothing happened. It didn't show me in the room although I refreshed it a few times and the emoticons didn't work either :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just gone in there and nothing seems to work. Can't do anything. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Me too! I tried again and nothing works...

Bring back the old chat system! I could have done with a Sunday evening natter...

Posted

Seems to be working properly at the moment.

Posted

Is there any way for it to make a sound when a new message is posted in there? 

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Is there any way for it to make a sound when a new message is posted in there? 

If you click the settings button (cogs) on the top right of the chat box, you can tick the actions you want sounds to play for. 

2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

People can't see who is in on the visitor list at the moment.

Not seeing that myself right now, is it still happening? It'll not show people who are logged in anonymously to the forum. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul said:

If you click the settings button (cogs) on the top right of the chat box, you can tick the actions you want sounds to play for. 

Not seeing that myself right now, is it still happening? It'll not show people who are logged in anonymously to the forum. 

Thanks paul