Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted

Models have been woeful this winter. Met Office updates have also been woeful.

However, this Easterly was never modelled to show deep cold in the reliable. The high always looked like the wring shape.

• Like 3

Posted

Well this spell is getting shorter and all models agree (as they did last night) on a warm up of sorts early next week. True an easterly flow for 3-4 days but a far cry from a properly potent one. Those who have lived through the 80's know what I mean.

As for which model is best my view is none but I'm getting more and more convinced that a blend of all three is a decent bet.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Greenland High day 10 - on ECM I would say -...

IMG_2396.thumb.PNG.ea33f2afc9edb3f3a1a5c6c71ed66ba2.PNG

Jet profile indicated upward motion around Greenland digging south & the scandi/euro high nudging west...

S

I think the nuisance Atlantic low will prevent any retrogression meaning we'd be on the wrong side of any Greenland heights? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Yes Steve I was thinking ECM looked different, heres the D9 chart. 

Greenland high anyone?

ECM1-216.GIF

• Like 3

Posted

There were lots of comments such as "that block will take some shifting." Yes it seems to be sunk very easily, if the models are to be believed. Am still not buying it yet though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Need to lose that pesky Low would be nice if it didn't develop the way shown and ended up further east. At the end of the ECM run it's still there.  In theory warm air flowing up the far side of Greenland should allow a northerly or north easterly outbreak down the other side. Okay I'm dreaming but it's faint hope if it gets modeled that in the next five runs or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
10 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

According to the beeb, no 'beast from the east' and a covering of snow for hills at best.

Ohhh nooooo. Really? Thats terrible news there lassie. I saw sleet symbols on the Met Office site earlier but still think it should be ok for snow, if the PPN makes it inland that is.

Anyway, nice D10 charts there from ECM.

ECM1-240-1.GIF

ECM0-240.GIF

Posted

I bet everyone will be saying what a wonderful model the ECM is now!:D

• Like 6

Posted

V good ending to the ECM, I won't take much notice of it but nice all the same. This could well happen of course!!!

Posted
Just now, Djdazzle said:

There were lots of comments such as "that block will take some shifting." Yes it seems to be sunk very easily, if the models are to be believed. Am still not buying it yet though.

The block is still there, its just shifted orientation which if the models are to be believed then its going to pump up Southerlies next week so a cold snap with a small chance of some snow for some then turning slightly milder going into the new week.

Certainly no atlantic weather coming in so its a blocked outlook but as with the theme of the winter, there is no real joy in the outlook for coldies. If you can enjoy the upcoming easterly then good luck to you because stratuscumlus cloud with the slim chance of some snowfall really does not fill me with much joy at all!

Give me a proper convective NW'ly blast with cold uppers and then you got some exciting weather with a better chance of some snowfall.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes Steve I was thinking ECM looked different, heres the D9 chart. 

Greenland high anyone?

ECM1-216.GIF

The old day 9/10 chestnut though, forever on the chase. Cynicism aside, genuine opportunities for something reasonably interesting in the 5 day period. Good agreement, micro features to be resolved in-situ. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream
4 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I think that there is a difference between shifting the blocking and sinking it. The block is still very much there and hasn't been shifted further east all winter really (unfortunately), but it does look to sink south as lower heights are slightly too far west to prop it up. 

ECM at least gives us a crumb of comfort and one way in which the block could still deliver cold later on this month.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
8 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Probably going to be sunk from an Artic torpedo .......win win

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_ECH1-240.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heat

The gfs had a premature triggering of its Mjo forcing hence its Operationals overdoing things, now it's settled down.....Id go for the ECM evolution very feasible right up to day 10......Nice cold snap with possible snow showers, brief change as operationals get their act together before retrogression and a lovely Neaster as the CONUS call it...ECM right in a slower MJO forcing......Feb is becoming very interesting...

image.png

Edited by Scandyhigh
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, blizzard81 said:

Ecm will probably throw out a stonker of a run now lol. Wouldn't surprise me :)

Thank you ecm. I love you again :)

Posted
24 minutes ago, igloo said:

im not sure matt mid febuary sun getting stronger +4 uppers daffs ready to push open first signs of spring is in the air still if its clear skies we will still get hard frosts during the night unless the models change again of course 

Plenty of hard frosts and fog keeping surface temperatures down 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

The old day 9/10 chestnut though, forever on the chase. Cynicism aside, genuine opportunities for something reasonably interesting in the 5 day period. Good agreement, micro features to be resolved in-situ. 

Yes but the Greenland high has been on the cards for some time now, in fact the ECM a cold run right out to the end, we get a couple of less cold days middle of next week, but by D8/9 the colder air is already moving south into northern Scotland.

None of the milder uppers make it on this run so definitely not spring like I would think.

ECE0-216.png

ECE0-240.png

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Instead I now have to read one liners with no charts posted to verify posters claims that the met are wrong and daffodils are pushing up.:cc_confused:

Well the Met Office updates were going for the likelihood of colder than average conditions in their extended outlooks, The opposite has been getting progressively more likely with every run, as can be seen in one go from the Aberdeen 850hpa Temp ensembles. A quick flick through the GFS 12z is a horror show  for Scottish Ski Areas not least because after a prolonged spell of settled conditions we could see the peak period of half term holidays being wild and wet! 

MT8_Aberdeen_850hpa_2017_02_07_12z.thumb.png.f3f4b839f35badabe0dd8e6cfe2c357e.png

• Like 1