Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
2 minutes ago, booferking said:

Would it not be cloudy in some locations?

you could be right, plus it's quite a brisk SEly but it's hypothetical at this range..enjoy the deep cold first as that could last a while. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM Op has been among the mildest runs at day 10 of any output every run for the last 3 runs hasn't it?

It will be again tonight - broken. :wink:

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paceyboy said:

FI still at 144hrs. I feel we are coming out of that mist at day 7-8 where retrogression will now feature more on the models due to MJO etc.

I am still very encouraged. I reckon someone (South UK included) will see decent snow this weekend!

The way things are at the moment FI is at about 72 hours ...

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

ECM Op has been among the mildest runs at day 10 of any output every run for the last 3 runs hasn't it?

you would think so, but the eps were keen to bring the less cold upper way north into c Europe and the gefs mean lifts uppers above zero across the south uk by day 8 so I wouldn't be quite so dismissive. short term upgrades to snow potential and uncertain mid range continues to be the mantra

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

That's one seriously blocked outlook. 

With ample chance' N/E...OR N/W.

the zonal train has hit the buffers...big time..

ECH1-216-1.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

So which route do you want to take ECM??

Euro high or Greenland high...

Choice is yours

ECH1-240.GIF?06-0

And no, you can't choose both.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

you would think so, but the eps were keen to bring the less cold upper way north into c Europe and the gefs mean lifts uppers above zero across the south uk by day 8 so I wouldn't be quite so dismissive. short term upgrades to snow potential and uncertain mid range continues to be the mantra

It has been all over the place at 120/144, I give it 1% out at 240.

(probably the kiss of death)

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Choice is yours

ECH1-240.GIF?06-0

If there is an PV split ahead we see Greenland --- there are a few early signs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Choice is yours

ECH1-240.GIF?06-0

"Who needs choices, I'm just gonna do both"

Great ECM but like the last couple of days just seems to implode out in FI. Great GFS and UKMO though. Still not the widespread snow we're looking for but I feel like we've perhaps moved a step closer towards something a little more interesting.

Beyond the retrogression signal is still there but I think that'll take at least a few more days before the models get to grips with it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Damn the ECM. Sticks to its guns...more of a Euroslug than a Scandi high by day 10.:angry:

ECM1-240-1.GIF

ECM0-240-1.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

ECM finishes worse than Devon Loch, with a nascent Greenland High and African plume combination.

Really need to see it start showing some retrogression soon, otherwise this could be a cold snap rather than a spell. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Damn the ECM. Sticks to its guns...more of a Euroslug than a Scandi high by day 10.:angry:

ECM1-240-1.GIF

ECM0-240-1.GIF

From the hemispheric view it's a chart that would lead to people thinking spring had sprung...only to be plunged back into ice and snow a few days later. Trop vortex draining completely draining to Siberian side.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
8 minutes ago, snowray said:

ECM1-240-1.GIF

ECM0-240-1.GIF

It's that trough hanging back SE of Greenland otherwise the two highs would link up..

Edited by D.V.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

From the hemispheric view it's a chart that would lead to people thinking spring had sprung...only to be plunged back into ice and snow a few days later. Trop vortex draining completely draining to Siberian side.

Big question, can the Greenland high start to dominate events from D10 onwards?

Posted
Just now, snowray said:

Big question, can the Greenland high start to dominate events from D10 onwards?

To me it's a no brainer. It has been a fairly well mapped out progression for a while. My only doubts have been over timing, I initially thought back end of Feb into March...but as ever we'll see.

• Like 6

Posted
23 minutes ago, Long haul to mild said:

If it called this Easterly first then fair enough, but I am still not convinced. The reason I am rather anti GEM is that, following some people saying how good it was, I tried to use it for trends over the summer and found it very inaccurate. It seemed to succumb to the same Atlantic based bias that the GFS suffers from. ECM was generally better but to be honest I have learned not to trust any FI output and tend to just use the UKMO nowadays, winter or summer.

To be fair LHTM I had little time for it until about December - I found it offered very little of the false hope given by other models. But 2 in 3 of its runs this time last week were easterlies - another good call

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
19 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Absolutely correct and I'd bin it retrogression is a strong possibility and plenty of lower heights slipping under the Scandi super block it's not going nowhere fast 

Posted
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

A nice kink in the flow in the south East on UKMO for Sunday would provide some light snow I would have thought ? 

IMG_6129.thumb.JPG.bed02ae2e0736019b025000065499983.JPG

In any other past winter, yes 100% snow, but with recent winters being such a let down and GFS showing sleet for SE and E Anglia....well who can say. We have to get them cold uppers over the whole country not just the borders and Scotland!

Posted
13 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

To me it's a no brainer. It has been a fairly well mapped out progression for a while. My only doubts have been over timing, I initially thought back end of Feb into March...but as ever we'll see.

If retrogression is to materialise in the 12 to 15 day timeframe, there must surely be signs in the extended ecm ensembles later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

To be fair LHTM I had little time for it until about December - I found it offered very little of the false hope given by other models. But 2 in 3 of its runs this time last week were easterlies - another good call

Easterlies are usually hard to predict so maybe it's a bit better than I've credited it with. I see it keeps with the Easterly theme next week too with more cold pools lurking, interesting times!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM looks chaotic past day 7. A series of shortwave interactions unlikely to be replicated.The ECM goes into the SD category, synoptic drivel!

They need to take it offline for a bit as they seem to have a few algorithms to rewrite. I wonder if the programmers (mathematicians) have metrology experience ? or the people with metrology experience are doing the programming... Or do they have some of both as it seems there is a bit lost in translation maybe?

Posted

JMA also goes down the subsiding high route so it is some form of trend this evening. I think it's because rather than a tendency to split, the trop PV is shown to displace instead...at least initially. Upstream developments will become even more critical than usual in instances like these

JN192-21.GIF?06-12

Posted

I'm just wondering if something is missing at the minute, sometimes in decent easterlies the pattern retrogression is so that an Easterly turns to a Northerly as heights build in Greenland, but the Ops seem to show Easterly to Southerly then potential Northerly!! If someone could upload P4 on the GEFS that plays the whole sequence that would be great, and that's what would be good to see and it's a pretty quick transition - P4 does have a fair bit of similarities to other ENS too.