Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted

Can't help but get a sense of deja vu here, I'm pretty sure the ECM was the first to suggest a warm up/the strat not really playing ball back February 2012 and it was proven correct.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You're welcome. Although I think sanity might be pushing it with me! lol Everyone knows I'm not slow in throwing my toys out of the pram if I think the situation warrants it however I see nothing to be worried about. No sign at all of the Atlantic winning this battle and with the MJO on side  the models are trying to work out how to retrogress the pattern.

Nail on the head as usual Nick. I think the rattler throwing may come from a bit of 'my back garden' weather, and the vagaries of each 6 or 12 hourly run... The posting of GFS precip charts from T-96 or 120 is one of my favourite chuckle moments..."Look, it's dry now, 6 hours ago it was showing a dump of snow"!

It will come with time and experience to all, meanwhile encouragement and explanation will help the less experienced!

• Like 5

Posted

A nice kink in the flow in the south East on UKMO for Sunday would provide some light snow I would have thought ? 

IMG_6129.thumb.JPG.bed02ae2e0736019b025000065499983.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
5 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Indeed, but as Fergie tweeted that it's looking less likely for a blizzard in Plymouth, it's apparently all one massive downgrade!

Yeah but we are all a bit NIMBY :)

I'm more concerned about people seeing the big picture as bad and talking about sinking highs. 

Out to day 10 there is 1 solitary member out of 21 that sinks the high enough for a breakdown.

P15

gensnh-15-1-228.png

I'm sure peeps will feel better after tonight's ECM (I hope!)

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

GFS 12z and UKM are both decent in the short term for delivery snow showers to eastern areas, poss light covering. 

Saturday and Sunday becoming very hard to forecast I bet for the professionals. It could deliver either a dry weekend, with snow grains for some, however, we could see a snow event, or, a mix of rain and hill snow.

I await ECM with huge interest, unfortunately I feel it will stick to its guns. Time will tell. ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Agree with mucka regarding no issue. 

I can see the easterly now just firming up short term, it's not a long fetched easterly but it doesn't need to be because we have already the cold air in place and in central Europe so it just sits there only slowly migrating West, and while I actually think we may well have a milder spell of uppers from the east as it takes on much more southeast type flow this doesn't really happen till t160ish and that's most definitely fi  then, think about it when was the last time a t144 chart for the UK ever really came true? Yes it's the best this year by far but it's still rare to get accurate charts that far out so it's just trying to find patterns at that range. We need to keep our eyes peeled for:

A surge of cold air to drop into Russia

A reshaping of the scandi high to bring the cold air West again after the initial surge 

Signs of retrogression northwest as the vortex migrates east 

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 7

Posted

Anyway - on different note we have a great set of ENS!!! A snap shot of 6 at day 10 show signs of a Greeny high. 

IMG_4211.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Anyway - on different note we have a great set of ENS!!!

Mean pressure anomaly day 11ish

gensnh-21-5-276.png

Nice Greenland anomaly there

Arguably even better by 300 hours, with slight whiff of Scandi trough

gensnh-21-5-300.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Agree with mucka regarding no issue. 

I can see the easterly now just firming up short term, it's not a long fetched easterly but it doesn't need to be because we have already the cold air in place and in central Europe so it just sits there only slowly migrating West, and while I actually think we may well have a murders spell of uppers from the east as it takes on much more southeast type flow this doesn't really happen till t160ish and that's most definitely fi  then, think about it when was the last time a t144 chart for the UK ever really came true? Yes it's the best this year by far but it's still rare to get accurate charts that far out so it's just trying to find patterns at that range. We need to keep our eyes peeled for:

A surge of cold air to drop into Russia

A reshaping of the scandi high to bring the cold air West again after the initial surge 

Signs of retrogression northwest as the vortex migrates east 

Retrogression signs is what i want to see for it looks very dry but cold over here very little shower activity what so ever from the projected Easterly.

gensnh-21-5-276.png

Edited by booferking
  • Like 1

Posted

All roads lead to colder weather IMO and even signs of the Scandi HP retrogressing towards Greenland mid/later in Feb.

Maybe a slight relaxing of the colder weather at times, but certainly no action from the atlantic in the foreseeable. Still remaining cold at the surface regardless.

Snow opportunities for most over the next couple of weeks I feel. But details only firming up 48-72hrs out in that regard.

The best nationwide cold spell of the season, will shortly begin....

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Pert 18 is probably one of the best structured Greenland highs you'll ever see

gensnh-18-1-312.png

EDIT: just seen Mucka has already picked up on this pert!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Fairly sure these are coldest set of short ensembles to date (Central England)

graphe3_1000_258_92___.gifgraphe6_1000_258_92___.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Come on folks lets turn a page on some of the earlier gloom. Theres more things in our favour in terms of cold and snow than at anytime for the whole winter.

I can understand people might get a bit worried seeing the Scandi high flatten for a time but its important to think of that as the next chance to get some deeper cold into the circulation.

The outputs are likely to get a bit messy for a time as they  try to pull a lobe of high pressure to the nw. As this happens you want to see lower heights develop to the east that will mean some colder air is getting injected into the circulation.

Normally I'm not that optimistic about things and it takes a lot for me to chill out and not moan so my lack of moaning I hope gives cause for some optimism!

No shortwaves :rofl:lol! great model watching ahead lets hope ECM is on the same page:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Pert 18 is probably one of the best structured Greenland highs you'll ever see

gensnh-18-1-312.png

That's a Greenland high from the old days great to see..............

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Fairly sure these are coldest set of short ensembles to date (Central England)

graphe3_1000_258_92___.gifgraphe6_1000_258_92___.gif

Not to be sniffed at. 850's around -5c for about a week. Before a relaxing of the colder upper air towards the end. I would bet that will be temporary and still cold at the surface as well, before wave 2 kicks in either from the North or the East as we head into week 2/3 of Feb....

It could be cold, cloudy and dry yes. But, at least the cold is coming and with that at least we are in the bloody game with regards to snow chances. How many times do people have to say it....get the cold in first and lets see what crops up with regards to the white stuff we all crave.

Edited by Southender
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I would also like to put a positive slant on things. When we were looking at the SSW all the comments were based on even if it does have an effect on the trop it could be the last 3rd of February that sees any cold response.......well it's only the 6th today and look at what we are facing.

Im not even saying this is to do with the SSW it may be just a bit of luck for a change but this is out of the blue and with the MJO plus a forecasted negative AO and the warming as well as very low sunspot activity (to name a few) this could just be the start of a long and at times very cold spell.

Even if it is a slow burner in terms of snow at least the ground will be nice and cold ready for any decent snow that may fall over the next few weeks :-)

All of this plus the Meto on side that this cold spell could last most of February is all very positive in my eyes.

• Like 5