Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The UKMO is a stonker for Central and Southern England, a curve in the isobars and -9c uppers, snowfall I would imagine.

A 'bump' in the isobars is  just what I want to see: wind backs NE, snow showers merge into longer spells of loveliness, at least, and more cold air will follow...Unless it's the dreaded freezing-drizzle of course - as occurred following the 1979 and '87 snowfalls?

• Like 1

Posted

GEM looking interesting @ +150.

gemnh-0-150.thumb.png.a496afcd6e97792f7ee695aeec639ea1.png

Azores High played its part early on sending a bout of WAA to help reinforce our blocking high. This is one scenario where increased energy in the Northern arm (initially at least) could well help us here

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

High pressure is just too close by no matter what we seem to do! IMO a slightly disappointing 12z after this mornings effort.

Really?

The theme is STILL very much the same

Just how high some peoples expectations are

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

A 'bump' in the isobars is  just what I want to see: wind backs NE, snow showers merge into longer spells of loveliness, at least, and more cold air will follow...Unless it's the dreaded freezing-drizzle of course - as occurred following the 1979 and '87 snowfalls?

How the hell did you only get freezing rain in 1987???   -    The uppers were -15c in your neck of the woods.

Posted

GEM and UKMO illustrate why the MO added this line to their long range update :

'some snow showers are likely to affect the east and northeast. There is just a small chance of these becoming heavy and spreading to central and some western areas this weekend. "

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
3 minutes ago, Buzz said:

How many times must we repeat the following: get the cold in first then wait for snow in favourable locations ..... remember also that various "features" often pop up at extremely short notice, expecting those to appear on model about 5 days hence is utterly futile. So to summarise: COLD first then maybe SNOW. Okay?

The most annoying phrase and cliché out of all the annoying phrases and clichés on this forum..countless times we have had the cold in and countless times the snow hasn't come.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, chicken soup said:

The most annoying phrase and cliché out of all the annoying phrases and clichés on this forum..countless times we have had the cold in and countless times the snow hasn't come.

But how many times has it not been cold & the snow has come?

Posted
1 minute ago, Luke Attwood said:

I kind of agree with him, ii have bad feeling about this the uppers are not cold over next weekend. Would it still be cold at the surface?

Weathizard is commenting on the 12z's , clearly ignoring the UKMO 144 which is a peach if you want snow.

I think you must be commenting on GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 minute ago, chicken soup said:

This time looks different, first proper Easterly flow with snow flurries / snow showers potential feeding in off the north sea..momentum is with the coldies for a change:D

• Like 8

Posted

GFS isn't even bad look at how stubborn it is in keeping the easterly going even when there is energy going over the top good trend!

gfs-0-234.png?12

gfs-1-234.png?12

gfs-14-234.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, chicken soup said:

But, as frustrating as it may be to you, unless you live at altitude, 9 out of 10 times, the snow isn't going to arrive without the cold in. That's just how it works. That doesn't mean that the snow necessarily always follows the cold of course...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Meanwhile back on the GFS we're under attack from the north east.  Very cold uppers once again over us.

gfsnh-1-240.thumb.png.dcce804941e6dd968321278bb94f8456.png

Most of England and Wales under -9's

240-7UK.thumb.gif.43a15d21c85f8029e1e3c77b035953cd.gif

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted

A great set of 12z, lets hope an upshift in the amount of cold ENS members then a great ECM.  The METO are nearly off the fence now so that should give confidence - this could turn out extremely well for Feb - especially as the further we go the more chance of some bigger forces helping us out and I don't mean Yoda!!

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Luke Attwood said:

I kind of agree with him, ii have bad feeling about this the uppers are not cold over next weekend. Would it still be cold at the surface?

Patience. Unlikely some Northerlies, the onset of Easterlies NEVER EVER follow a straightforward non-nerve-shredding evolution. We are at the end of the line, it has and will ALWAYS be this way.

In answer to your question, yes it will very likely be cold at the surface by then.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
6 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

It may be a cliche but is a good rule to follow.

the point people make when they say this is snow events are difficult to forecast more than a couple of days in advance, so most people on here look for a synoptically  cold set up to develop that increases the chances of snow. Once you have this set up in place, such as an easterly or a northerly, the more likely it is that snow events will crop up - be that connective snow showers or battleground snow events.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

How the hell did you only get freezing rain in 1987???   -    The uppers were -15c in your neck of the woods.

Must have been a layer of warmer air? I was sledging in Olney, the day after the blizzard, and there was a mixture of drizzle & snow grains, at a temp of c. -5C; I have witnessed similar things following snow/blizzards, before: Feb 1976 and Feb 1979, for instance...Something relating to the North Sea, perhaps?

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Seriously...  Is this just to get a reaction? Well, it's worked I guess.

What? High pressure is far too close for the majority of the UK on the 12z when the uppers are at the coldest, like I said comparably to the 6z high pressure is having far more of an influence. Very strange reaction by yourself? I didn't say it was a bad run.

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Patience. Unlikely some Northerlies, the onset of Easterlies NEVER EVER follow a straightforward non-nerve-shredding evolution. We are at the end of the line, it has and will ALWAYS be this way.

In answer to your question, yes it will very likely be cold at the surface by then.

Very cold even with not cold uppers?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

What? High pressure is far too close for the majority of the UK on the 12z when the uppers are at the coldest, like I said comparably to the 6z high pressure is having far more of an influence. Very strange reaction by yourself? I didn't say it was a bad run.

So are you saying the UKMO 144 12z is dry and no snow potential or are you commenting on the GFS

• Like 1