Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

Given the Meto update, and slight upgrades on snow potential, I'm slightly more optimistic today.

• Like 2

Posted

METO for next Fri, how does this compare with the latest GFS do we think?

scandy high slightly lower but WAA in Atlantic coming in higher round the LP to our south.  Not sure if this is better or not!!

IMG_4201.PNG

IMG_4203.PNG

Could do with the LP moving East a little 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Plenty of cold / wintry weather on the GEFS 6z:cold:

Hoping we are looking at cold weather becoming entrenched for more or less the month ahead!:D

PPVO89.jpg

0_144_850tmp.png

5_126_2mtmpmax.png

13_126_850tmp.png

13_126_2mtmpmax.png

18_126_2mtmpmax.png

18_126_850tmp.png

18_174_850tmp.png

18_174_2mtmpmax.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

Hoping we are looking at cold weather becoming entrenched for more or less the month ahead!:D

Well I do hope you are right,but should remain cautious its only one run 06z which was great. Having said that I do believe we will see cold weather starting Wednesday and probably lasting until Monday or Tuesday the following week at least! During this period we likely to see temps range from about 3-6c and and as low as -3 overnight. That's just my opinion looking at the models. I really hope we can repeat it on the 12z

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

This is all hoping the GFS is right, it has so far this winter Been unreliable, where as the UKMO has the last laugh on all the models lets see what the UKMO has to say before we go predicting cold runs.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Luke Attwood said:

Well I do hope you are right,but should remain cautious its only one run 06z which was great. Having said that I do believe we will see cold weather starting Wednesday and probably lasting until Monday or Tuesday the following week at least! During this period we likely to see temps range from about 3-6c and and as low as -3 overnight. That's just my opinion looking at the models. I really hope we can repeat it on the 12z

Well I hope I'm right, it looks like the best spell of the winter so far nationwide according to most of the models, hopefully it can go from strength to strength..been waiting all winter for a spell like this:)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Well I hope I'm right, it looks like the best spell of the winter so far nationwide according to most of the models, hopefully it can go from strength to strength..been waiting all winter for a spell like this:)

Yes how long u think it will last then,your opinion?

Edited by Luke Attwood

Posted
2 minutes ago, Luke Attwood said:

Yes how long u think it will last then,your opinion?

Difficult to say but strong scandi blocking can be hard to shift once firmly established so we could stay predominantly on the cold side with a mix of deep cold / surface cold for 2 to 3 weeks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

This is looking really good, a classic pre 2000 scandi high setting up something of a rarity in our modern winters and something many on here have not experienced........however caution as ever because as we know easterlies can flip at short notice but what may help this one succeed is the pending SSW.

Great respect to Steve Murr on his knowledge on the subject of easterlies ,i'm right up there with you Mr and know exactly where you are coming from, happy days!  

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, BARRY said:

This is all hoping the GFS is right, it has so far this winter Been unreliable, where as the UKMO has the last laugh on all the models lets see what the UKMO has to say before we go predicting cold runs.

It's not just the Gfs / Gefs..it helps considerably to have the backing of the pros with their mogreps / GloSea5 seasonal models..it's looking very good I must say:)

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Frosty. said:

It's not just the Gfs / Gefs..it helps considerably to have the backing of the pros with their mogreps / GloSea5 seasonal models..it's looking very good I must say:)

Well here's to hoping we have across model agreement because it's along time coming :nonono:

Posted
1 minute ago, BARRY said:

Well here's to hoping we have across model agreement because it's along time coming :nonono:

I couldn't agree more, generally speaking the latest models look very encouraging for the majority on here who love cold weather with a chance of snow from the second half of the week ahead onwards..Bring It On! 

• Like 4

Posted

Noticed even at t66 the colder 850's a tad closer to East coast at same time frame to 6z

Posted
Surely that is unprecedented for the time of year? 

An abundance of  'warm' moist Tm air is going to fed up there due to our block in the coming days. It doesn't look good up there at all nonetheless we see our cold spell gain traction. 

IMG_1829.thumb.PNG.8a4a606d7ef43f3f1862ed41e4eedea9.PNGIMG_1830.thumb.PNG.21e59815a6288ca86c768ff0fa8e9518.PNG

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Noticed even at t66 the colder 850's a tad closer to East coast at same time frame to 6z

Yep, those small differences mentioned above by Steve are helping drag in colder 850s further west.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Here we go folks - another upgrade coming- @72 & we have another 6 runs down to 36

expect the -10 line into London by T90...

Well the -11 into Norfolk at T78.  Everything further west again, could be another stonker coming up?

78-7UK.gif

• Like 9

Posted

Looking better but what we need to prolong it and produce better convection related E flow, is to get the WAA that comes in around 144 from the West to cutting off the lump of LP to come in on a higher trajectory. At 144 on the last run it was into NW Scotland, the higher this is the better chance of holding back any NW feed and re-establishing a stronger high in a more favourable location

IMG_4204.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

How great to see this at T96! 

IMG_8385.PNG

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 7

Posted

GFS 12Z - at T102, are there signs that the cold pool in the north sea is going to fuse with the depression sliding to the SW? If it does, we could see the whole cold pool dragged back south over the country. Snow would be likely!!

Edit: just missed!!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 7

Posted

Looks like the 12z GFS wants to deepen that low to our West a tad. Net effect that should keep it further north. Interested to see where we go from here with this playing out. Possibly a stronger initial easterly