Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted

Control is very similar to the Op to 174, always a good sign to have those 2 singing off the same song sheet 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS op and control on the cold side of the mean lots of spread amongst the runs though

gefsens850London0.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Thought you didn't trust the 06, Steve..?! I jest. 

Lol -

I dont generally - depends if it follows the trending

if I have time later I will post up how 2009 easterly developed- it started like todays models are showing...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Banbury said:

I wouldn't say that , had support and on occasions some runs were colder

Ok thanks,how long would u say this cold spell will last? If starting from Wednesday,it looks cold throughout next weekend to me.and it could get even colder during the following week,that's my view on it

Edited by Luke Attwood

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, Luke Attwood said:

Ok thanks,how long would u say this cold spell will last? If starting from Wednesday.

That's the million-dollar question at the moment no one knows for certain

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

GFS op and control on the cold side of the mean lots of spread amongst the runs though

gefsens850London0.png

Lets hope the ENS trend with the Op and Ctl on the 12z - if they do stay cold that is.

A fair few go and stay cold thoughout but still some mild runs in there. 

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
3 minutes ago, Luke Attwood said:

So the op was a cold outlier?

Not an outlier but on the colder side for sure. I'm more interested in seeing the 12Z ECM.

06Z and 18Z are slightly worse in terms of accuracy than 0Z and 12Z for the Northern Hemisphere so we have to remember that regardless if they are showing what we want to see or what we don't want to see.

Posted

And just to add to Tamara's excellent post,  there are some very cold 06z ensembles in the 8 to 12 day time frame. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Luke Attwood said:

Ok thanks,how long would u say this cold spell will last? If starting from Wednesday,it looks cold throughout next weekend to me.and it could get even colder during the following week,that's my view on it

If we all had our way GFS 6z would be banked . The GFS 6z changed very early on which shows the uncertainty not only in this situation but out weather in general.

If you just keep looking at a maximum of 5 days ahead you wont be far off

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Banbury said:

If we all had our way GFS 6z would be banked . The GFS 6z changed very early on which shows the uncertainty not only in this situation but out weather in general.

If you just keep looking at a maximum of 5 days ahead you wont be far off

I think most on here are very wary of the 06z runs and it's poor reputation. Whether that is justified or not I am not too sure. However,  because these positive changes are happening in the 2 to 3 day range, I am feeling very excited about the prospects now. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
1 hour ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Great 6z run. Much better than the ECM 0z for very cold and snow from next weekend:good:

Looks like its only for Scotland and the far North. Theres nothing in there for Midlands or SE

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, 40*C said:

Looks like its only for Scotland and the far North. Theres nothing in there for Midlands or SE

The general trend is towards -10 uppers on the 6z and more showery possibilities on the whole. Bit hard to pick out locations at this point but i think its positive nationwide imo

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, 40*C said:

That's not what the 6z GFS suggested , snow was a plenty across many areas

Posted
13 minutes ago, 40*C said:

All conjecture but the gfs showed quite abit of snow across a swath of the country  from wales across the north and the midlands  

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

All conjecture but the gfs showed quite abit of snow across a swath of the country  from wales across the north and the midlands  

The snow isn't showing up for many southerners yet, but isn't this type of set up better in the south as LP swing past or lift out of France. I don't think this will just be a cold dry week or so , plenty of chances for many - even if it is a light flurry 

• Like 3

Posted

A fasinating change in the 06Z GEFS ensembles.

At times for the 9th Feb the mean was as high as -3C on most runs hence my earlier post. A switch has occurred with the mean now at -6C with some runs at -10C and below.

t850Cambridgeshire.png

The next chart could be my eyesight but to me the Euro4 at +48 has colder uppers temps further S&W than the GFS suggests.

17020706_0506.gif

• Like 2