Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
On 1/26/2017 at 04:42, Rocheydub said:

Very well aware of its origins ad it's meaning. Thanks.

I'm afraid you'll be sadly disappointed!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php

not sure what u mean ukmo been rock solid and the latest gfs is much better across the country.

my nerves are really shredded the quicker it gets here the better i just want a easterly dont care about the details atm just get the beast or at least something wintry in.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

The difference between the 00z and 6z is remarkable. Note less energy coming out of Greenland! 

First chart is 210h on 6z and second is 216 on 00z. 

Wow.PNG

Wow2.PNG

Edited by MattTarrant
  • Like 2

Posted

Im expecting some epic +300 charts, maybe the holy grail of winter synoptics.

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, MR EXTREMES said:

not sure what u mean ukmo been rock solid and the latest gfs is much better across the country.

my nerves are really shredded the quicker it gets here the better i just want a easterly dont care about the details atm just get the beast or at least something wintry in.

This run upgrades us from poodle to slightly miffed Alsatian. We're a bit off beast yet. :)

Gefs will be interesting!

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well it's been a long time since I saw this, the whole of the UK blanketed in snow

gfs-2-252.png?6

shame it's well well welllll into FI territory, but it's a beauty to behold none the less

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

By T300, cold easterly, not the mild muck one that ECM showed.

gfs-0-300.png

gfs-2-300.png

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The beast is coming on the 06z

Agreed. We had to wait for the -AO to dissipate and allow the Trop PV to migrate away from E Canada/ Greenland 

IMG_3215.thumb.GIF.fa0339cd51df5b771ac65e1f1f6c4391.GIF

The Scandinavian HP holds throughout this process and emerges resilient.

IMG_3214.thumb.PNG.0446038ce545d43dd0ff2a6a9daf22e6.PNG

The Azores has another route option. Greenland. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png

Disrupting Atlantic versus decent continental cold pool.

Serious feedback action at work here from those slight adjustments in the 3-4 day range.

This is essentially the ECM 00z with the low closer to the S Thu-Fri (not so good) but not nearly as much flattening of the big block by the Atlantic jet (much better!).

npsh500.png  npsh500.png

The advance of the vortex on Siberia is much more advanced on the 06z and this helps us out by focusing the block over Scandi rather than C. Asia.

That's the thing about ECM - it's been showing a vortex shift that could really help us out, but whereas the 12z yesterday introduced upstream amplification fast enough to hold back the Atlantic again before the block is flattened much, the 00z was too slow to introduce that drop out of westerly momentum.

I must say though - I'm not sure how the block has become quite that strong and high in latitude on the 06z run. Perhaps the much more expansive and deep cold pool drives a regional feedback to sustain sinking motion there?

h850t850eu.png

See now this really is the ECM 00z at day 10 but with the block not remotely flattened; you have the low to our S and the stalling one by Iceland.

Okay - must cool it, I actually became a bit excited for a change :laugh: We really need to see ECM drop that idea of flattening the block. Essentially we have GFS dividing up low heights far better than ECM, when it's usually the other way around! Or at least it used to be; for the 3rd week easterly in Jan it was ECM at the longer range that was keeping the flow too smooth that allowed an elongated high so far east with such a good easterly flow on the S flank. In the end the flow buckled more and, unfortunately for us, the blocking became more focused in one region and not the best for us to benefit.

So yeah. More food for thought. Enjoy your Sunday everyone, I'm off out for some fine food :hi:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

6z is a cracker for coldies, like I said earlier, the general trend so far today is very good for cold from the east and its still taking shape..could be a prolonged cold / very cold outlook!

• Like 9

Posted

I hope the Op run has some GEFS support, they've been at odds lately and now would be a good time to change that - I don't mind the Op being on the warmer side obviously!! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The 6z is a much better run because of the handling of the secondary low which develops near day 10. On the 6z it is closer to the UK and a bit further east which lowers pressure a bit and brings more of a ENE component (this is backed by the Euro ensemble mean). The problem the 6z has until well into FI is that the low in question then sinks south instead of heading towards Italy so we have to wait for the Atlantic to undercut again (albeit that does raise snowy possibilities). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The gfs is nearly an epic run..You can see the more positive anomalies to our NW and NE  but there's a little hang back over Greenland and Iceland. It stops the high and the extent of the cold air reaching us from the East later on... Still a good run though.:)

gfsnh-12-240.thumb.png.dd42f2878e7ee85c0628363d839f3e15.png

Edited by D.V.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Crikey I would take the money right now and bank the 6z GFS. Snow chances for most from this Wednesday to the end of the run, absolutely no milder days there away from the extremities 

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting op GFS run in that it follows the theme of the extended GEFS anomolies from the 00zby dropping an upper trough between the scandi high and growing mid Atlantic feature .  So the question of how does it for with the GEFS should be OK judging by the previous suite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You all know what this chart means people don't you?

npst30.png

2013 revisited!!!

!!!!! I remember that well. In Warsaw on easter Sunday on 31 March there was a 15cm+ snowfall. And snowing here now... It is 6 degrees colder than was forecast mid last week.

• Like 3

Posted

At least the easterly isn't disappointing in terms of how much drama it can cause.

After a somewhat underwhelming ECM output good to see the GFS 06hrs run upgrade the cold and not follow the ECM with that bulging PV to the nw.

The differences are really in relation to how much flattening occurs of the high which is the result of how they handle the movement of the PV east/ne. The GFS 06hrs run has that sharper troughing to the nw which takes the jet further ne so less pressure on the high and that would be more in line with the MJO progression.

If we didn't have that MJO on side I'd be more inclined to back the ECM but in this case I think its piling too much energy over the high.

• Like 8