Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Upgrades from this morning. The times are slightly out on UKMO/ECM but the block slightly better positioned on all 3. I'm only looking out to 120 as it's an evolving situation.

GFS

gfsnh-0-114.thumb.png.624b3ed6cd66a9bdecaf60879349a221.pnggfsnh-0-108.thumb.png.7318d26baff362e45ff88fa86ca7ae12.png

UKMO

UN120-21.thumb.GIF.e0ccbd16e585f163104cb9151d8728fd.GIFUN120-21a.thumb.GIF.cfcc6d0122c95c53f96fa24bf34e5ef4.GIF

ECM

ECH1-120.GIF.thumb.png.5e1a0af7d1ec384f722097f6ed6c0d85.pngECH1-120.GIFa.thumb.png.f8b410667917729c7795e29599b0ec4d.png

• Like 4

Posted

That highs going nowhere and now  the upstream troughing is sharpening up, probably in response to the MJO. Just need some lower heights to develop again in the northern Med.

• Like 5

Posted

I'm usually as optimistic as they come, but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this.

There seems to be pretty good agreement on the pattern and yes, it's cold with flurries for a few days, but once again the deep cold stays on the continent and the high is too saggy.

Someone give me cause for optimism!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, Johnp said:

I'm usually as optimistic as they come, but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this.

There seems to be pretty good agreement on the pattern and yes, it's cold with flurries for a few days, but once again the deep cold stays on the continent and the high is too saggy.

The main thing as you said is the agreement is in place. Once we get the cold here, it will be down to sudden disturbances and shortwaves that could deliver sudden snow events. The devil will always be in the short term detail! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Cold largely mixed out by day 8, but possible re-enforcements coming in for day 10. 

Iberian low looks like it's drifting north towards UK, big snow event potentially if it makes it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

ECM=:cold::cold::cold::D

I see plenty to be optimistic about with this evolving situation..could be a cracker of a cold spell coming up.:cold-emoji: 

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

On it goes to day 9-

allignment not quite perfect however the atlantic has gone to lunch-

IMG_2311.thumb.PNG.372100e615ec5de337fad0d8e8c3b471.PNG

Indeed, and further upgrades to come, everything is edging West run by run, classic scandi  high, fantastic to see.

• Like 2

Posted

I still think the ecm is sending too much energy over the high after t120 and pushing the energy to Far East. 

Imagine the ec with the continuing scandy but with better positioning maybe an under cut and colder air. 

Thats what the models are hinting at currently. Still 24-48 hrs until they get there imho.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
7 minutes ago, Johnp said:

It could be showing a bartlet and no hope of cold in sight. Good step forward for me tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Keep the faith, the ECM is a big improvement on the 00hrs run and as long as we keep the high centred sufficiently north then the MJO progression will give us another chance at the deeper cold.

I agree  - a Lazurus recovery at 240 hrs 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

What a finish..roll on day 10:yahoo:

Another step closer..going to get very nippy:cold:

240_mslp850uk.png

240_thickuk.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I see plenty to be optimistic about with this evolving situation..could be a cracker of a cold spell coming up.:cold-emoji: 

Totally agree and tbh the closer we get to the reliable I can see further upgrades in this and more and more white stuff potential as we get closer. Roll on Wednesday when we should be on the cusp of something special..... I/we hope

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Not a bad end to the run with falling pressure and the flow even managing to become ENE in the south east. 

Posted

The longer the Scandi High stays in situ, the more chance colder air will get advected West. Good models tonight for those of a cold, snowy persuasion.

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Looks like my rare pessimistic post did the trick :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Nice ECM run ending with an upper trough crossing the SE.

Some different perspectives from WZ & Meteociel

ECMOPME12_240_1.png

ECU1-240.GIF?04-0

850's

ECMOPME12_240_2.png

ECU0-240.GIF?04-0

could cause some snowy disruption to the Capital if that verified!

A way off of course but nice to see / contemplate.

:cold::D

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Johnp said:

I agree  - a Lazurus recovery at 240 hrs

Yes it got there in the end! No chance of the Atlantic getting in past T240hrs if that chart verified. We're trying to hold the high in place as the PV moves east/ne. That way we avoid any mild muck before the Greenie high appears later, hopefully. It might be more of a Greenland towards Scandi combo so an eastern based negative NAO.

• Like 3

Posted

As teits mentioned earlier classic easterly spells in the past always delivered cold and dry before the snow eventually arrived. Of course we hadn't the anguish of models back then just the 5 day ceefax!

Improvement today across all 3. It could go either way but we have a lottery ticket that this could become the big one

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

tempresult_iri1.gif

And so our Scandi high wheel of fortune spins to deliver at day 10 - Agree with what NS is saying, a little help from the MJO with an increasingly better upstream picture may eventually land us a bullseye...

• Like 1

Posted

Pendulum swinging back to an old school easterly where models (GFS worst offender) will suggest atlantic breakdowns only to back track in the 0-96 hr range.

Whether or not it's quite right for a snowy cold spell remains to be seen but it does look like we will have plenty of cold at the surface and as others have stated, get the cold entrenched and its likely that snow events will pop up, sometimes at very short notice.

• Like 7