Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted

We must remember this is the 18z though. We have been here so many times before, only to be let down in the morning. At least it is Friday though lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

latest fax charts looking good to me. Notice the occlusion, D5 snow moving in as per GFS 18z.

fax96s.gif

fax120s.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

A pretty decent run from GFS operational for cold and snow up to day 10, my only criticism is that it doesn't push low heights/pressure far enough east across the Mediterranean in later part of medium range to stop the Scandi ridge  from extending south across eastern Europe  - which cuts off the deep cold advecting west from Russia. But that will quite possibly change.

Yep, ideally would like to see that addressed. Stop that high from sagging and the mind boggles at the depth of cold we could see. A big hurdle to clear though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

The overall evolution is still looking very positive for a cold and snowy setup but don't get too hung up on details as there will be surprises aplenty!

Trough disruption is inherently very difficult to pin down when continental cold airmasses are involved; typically the trough stretches on a NW-SE axis and then the secondary circulation developing at the base of this breaks away from the parent low and heads SE or ESE.

High model resolution is a great help for resolving these things but even then, the full splitting away of a secondary low seems to be something the models struggle to resolve until relatively short notice - sometimes just a day or two before the time.

The pattern is looking fine and the old adage of get the cold in first and wait for snowy surprises applies in spades at the moment.

Enjoy...:cold::cold::D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

FIM looking even better than GFS, looks like a better undercut coming, could be a deep cold run this one.

fimnh-0-108_vxm3.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Ok, I'm now beginning to have confidence in seeing some of the white stuff! Given the fact that we could be seeing it as early as 3 days time on some runs.

Some very interesting things to keep an eye on though in the meantime regarding the positioning, direction and intensity of these low pressures, which could have implications on how early/late we will see the cold arriving.

The fact that we are about to be seeing -10 uppers knocking on our door for the first time since 2013 is delightful in itself! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Can't post charts on this device but from what I've seen tonight I'm not going to dust the sleigh off yet. IMO we'll end up with a slack continental drift into principally Eastern and NE areas with nothing more than a flurry of snow from low stratus type cloud while the South and West remain on the periphery of milder Atlantic air encroachment. I will add that I don't see that encroachment as a major battleground scenario as I feel pressure will be too high to the SW forcing the Jet Stream to be pushed NE to the NW of Britain and not allowing enough energy under the ridge or undercutting as is the term used here. So rather cold and principally dry is the overall message. Not saying I'm right but taking all models and output as a whole on tonight's 12zs I think that's where this will end up by the end of next week.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Can't post charts on this device but from what I've seen tonight I'm not going to dust the sleigh off yet. IMO we'll end up with a slack continental drift into principally Eastern and NE areas with nothing more than a flurry of snow from low stratus type cloud while the South and West remain on the periphery of milder Atlantic air encroachment. I will add that I don't see that encroachment as a major battleground scenario as I feel pressure will be too high to the SW forcing the Jet Stream to be pushed NE to the NW of Britain and not allowing enough energy under the ridge or undercutting as is the term used here. So rather cold and principally dry is the overall message. Not saying I'm right but taking all models and output as a whole on tonight's 12zs I think that's where this will end up by the end of next week.

The models may look even better tomorrow etc..right now it's very good to be a coldie looking at these wonderful charts from various models..hopefully much more to come!:cold-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Did you knock up that chart yourself Steve?

:rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Nouska said:

I hope you guys realise I'm sacrificing my roof in order to set up your easterly. :p

tempresult_msn8.gif

31 minutes ago, Nouska said:

I hope you guys realise I'm sacrificing my roof in order to set up your easterly. :p

tempresult_msn8.gif

Looks like France will take a right battering!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles are stunning.

Lots of undercut and retrogression within hi res so easily the best set yet.

Await tomorrow mornings output with interest :)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
26 minutes ago, Nouska said:

tempresult_msn8.gif

Ouch, I heard rumours there may be a sting jet on the back of Saturday's low that could bring gusts to 100mph along coast of western France. But hopefully you, Nick Sussex and any other expats in France on here will be spared such violent winds!

Back to the 18z, pretty reasonable GEFS support that we will be in a deep cold and perhaps snowy easterly flow come next Thursday

gens_panel_ikv3.thumb.png.1e682dd4e18954cd6b7179234e6fb569.pnggens_panel_klh2.thumb.png.e99c7a080d5221ef04b4f48a23d7ab07.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
12 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Naughty Steve...

Isn't that the rerun of the 47 synoptics?

Clever way to get in a ramp!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

As reflected in the 850s mean....a solid improvement from recent suites. Remember though, it can just easily slip the other way again!

gensnh-21-0-174.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Yes Mucka they are magnificent, hoping for more of the same! can't get enough of these superb charts! :- )

Sweet dreams coldies:D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS short (SE England)

graphe3_1000_296_128___.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Staggering GEFS FI coming up.

FIM firmly on board as well with -8c isotherm with -12c about to follow it swiftly in with power to add even lower.

fimnh-0-144_ftz9.png

• Like 1

Posted

ECM 12z London

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

ECM mean was probably better than the Op

ECH1-168.GIF?02-0EDH1-168.GIF?02-0

Edited by Mucka

Posted
11 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes Mucka they are magnificent, hoping for more of the same! can't get enough of these superb charts! :- )

Sweet dreams coldies:D

:ninja:

Im on nights but i certainly am NOT looking at the 00z runs til i get home im sure im some kind of hex..

Massive 00z runs coming up!

• Like 3