Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted

If this isn't a huge cold outlier I'd be surprised.  This beats the ECM run of yesterday.

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Just a note to some of you chasing the deepest cold pool - if you want a -11/-15 chunk of uppers to get here then you don't want to see a segment of vortex around -16/-20c hurtling west towards the North Sea - it won't get here as a shortwave will develop ahead of it as it reaches the sea and it will deflect north west 

to advert that pool which would bring decent snowfall (-10/-15c) you need a cold pool to bleed off that really cold segment and advert west preferably across the land mass rather than the baltic and North Sea  as that will also moderate those uppers.

it really is a tightrope walk to get that cold enough cold pool this far 

Good point, are you still comfy on your fence though?  If the ENS back this up then it is a significant swing, I'm still not confident they will.  The METO long range may read better today though, now they are mentioning the possibilities.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Just a note to some of you chasing the deepest cold pool - if you want a -11/-15 chunk of uppers to get here then you don't want to see a segment of vortex around -16/-20c hurtling west towards the North Sea - it won't get here as a shortwave will develop ahead of it as it reaches the sea and it will deflect north west 

to advert that pool which would bring decent snowfall (-10/-15c) you need a cold pool to bleed off that really cold segment and advert west preferably across the land mass rather than the baltic and North Sea  as that will also moderate those uppers.

So how did the historical events happen then? Surely the same reasoning should apply then as it does now.

Shortwaves can be our friend, Feb 2005 dropped a foot of snow in oldham from a developing system from the east

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

If this isn't a huge cold outlier I'd be surprised.  This beats the ECM run of yesterday.

Look at the bigger picture, cold actually isn't as extreme for Europe as some output yesterday. Might not be a massive outlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Absolutely stunning. 

IMG_1758.PNGIMG_1759.PNG

Well that's what I call top chart you just never no What's around the corner but I'm liking what we are seeing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Much eye candy by D10!:cold:

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-1-240.png

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Look at the bigger picture, cold actually isn't as extreme for Europe as some output yesterday. Might not be a massive outlier.

It's the longevity and possibility of a Block afterwards to our NW that is interesting, not quite as cold uppers though correct.

Spoke too early, however next week is still unknown really so beyond that is deep FI. Lets see where the ENS go.

Edited by Ali1977

53 minutes ago, craigore said:

Can anyone tell me why my bbc weather app is showing temperatures of 8c  in 10 days time when the 3 main mods are all showing a cold easterly by then..??

There must be a lot of uncertainty or bbc have other info that doesn't agree why what we are seeing..

Don't normally post in mods but am confused by the Ramping & what's being forcast..

This morning, it said 13°C with sunny spells for my location at that time. A few people have mentioned it to me and looking forward to an early start to Spring. They may be in for a bit of a shock though lol

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

So how did the historical events happen then? Surely the same reasoning should apply then as it does now.

Shortwaves can be our friend, Feb 2005 dropped a foot of snow in oldham from a developing system from the east

Check out how those low uppers got here -  how they arrived at the North Sea, what were the SST's at that time,what were the uppers when they got here 

beware if the modelling begins to hone in on a solution like ecm op whereby a vortex segment heads west and towards us.

gfs op will not pick up a spoiler shortwave, neither will gem and ecm will probably take until T144 

Would be an interesting experiment to see if gfsp performed better on it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

And, we end the run with a Greenland High!:girl_devil:

EDIT...hehe, going mad model overload, changed it, indeed Greenland high.

gfs-0-384.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, snowray said:

And, we end the run with a Scandi High!:girl_devil:

gfs-0-384.png

Think you mean Greenland.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

And, we end the run with a Scandi High!:girl_devil:

gfs-0-384.png

Greeny you mean?  Can't complain.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Check out how those low uppers got here -  how they arrived at the North Sea, what were the SST's at that time,what were the uppers when they got here 

beware if the modelling begins to hone in on a solution like ecm op whereby a vortex segment heads west and towards us.

gfs op will not pick up a spoiler shortwave, neither will gem and ecm will probably take until T144 

Thats a bit of a cop out..... Clearly i don't know the SST's of any given date, thou i am sure a little bit of research will be able to find this information.

Your original statement stated that it can't happen as Shortwaves will appear. 

gfs-5-216.png?6

Shows the jet pushing east, any shortwave that may develop will get pushed with it

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

to avoid confusion re cold pools - whilst we are also thinking about uppers, best to view them on the heights charts as those cut off blue/purple areas rotating clockwise around the blocking. 

the ecm op run this morning a great example of how the cold pool can't get west beyond Norway as it hits the North Sea and the 06z gfs a great example of the safest way to get the cold pool this far as it heads west across Germany and the Low Countries with a short sea track to get here 

Yes agree completely - Feb 1991 came through Ukraine and then across the continent. Maybe Jan 87 would be an exception as it looks like it came across the Baltic/N Sea more - but I just think we got amazingly lucky there with the trigger low interacting at the exact time frame to send it our way; any slight deviation and the cold would probably never have arrived in the UK on the scale that it did.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

So cross model agreement for a roaring Beasterly back end of next week. What could possibly go wrong!

Lots actually but let's enjoy the moment...if it's good enough for TEITS it's good enough for me. Now where's that runner polish....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Certainly exciting times, though with the caution still being exerted. If the charts being churned out the last couple of days verify, we could be talking about 2017 in the same conversations as memorable spells of yesteryear. Alternatively, the mild outcome could win, and this will become a distant memory as the winter that promised so much, but delivered so little. :D

• Like 8

Posted

Look at the trends we've been seeing - low pressures not as quite as deep and swinging up towards Greenland. It was only a couple of days ago that we were looking at storm after storm slamming across us.

I can only see the trend continuing. Watch that 955 low at 180h filling more and more over the next few runs and the block to the east strengthening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
39 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I much prefer to pick out the positives from this mornings runs,without getting too carried away.

• Like 2

Posted

Only 4/5 ens with decent support of the Op at day 8.  Why are the Ops run after run churning better outputs for cold than the ENS I wonder.

Edit - What is notable is that 17 out of 20 have a continental flow at T240 , although only 4/5 have us in the freezer.

Edited by Ali1977