Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, supernova said:

GFS Para follows similar evolution to it's outdated brother with it all going pear shaped at about 100hrs. We simply don't get enough energy running SE under the block, as shown by the ECM and UKMO. TBH I'm just thankful we've got the chance to latch onto another shot at cold so early in Feb....when I caught up on the model thread over the weekend it was all doom and gloom with about as much action as you'd expect in a subtitled documentary about the moisture content of paint. That said, much as I love an Easterly (Lincolnshire rarely benefits memorably from anything coming from the North West), we've been down this path so many times before, it's important to remain optimistically cautious for at least another three to four days and hope that in the meantime we can find cross model agreement. At least the UKMO is on board with the ECM this time, that's a massive positive, I don't prefer any model over the other but this winter in particular the UKMO has been excellent. Remember also, however, that it was barely a fortnight ago when the GFS led us back from another ECM goose chase at about the same time frame we are currently watching with great interest. Get your sledges out the loft by all means, but for goodness sake don't polish the runners and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TELL ANYBODY! Fingers crossed. BTW, If this one goes Pete Tong I volunteer to organise next year's Netweather outing to Lapland. Northern Lights anyone?

gfsnh-0-102.png

Is that not yesterdays run?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, jvenge said:

I'm not sure what is there to be taken as gospel? Outliner compared to the ENS? Check. Majority milder? (has to be, if the Op is a very cold outlander) Check. Therefore unlikely to verify? Check (Unlikely is not a "will not" or "no chance", so no mention of gospel.

Ok let's rephrase for clarity in what I said,don't take low probability as gospel then

Its been thus all winter 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
14 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Is that not yesterdays run?

Apologies Frosty Ground, post amended accordingly.

Edited by supernova
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Can anyone tell me why my bbc weather app is showing temperatures of 8c  in 10 days time when the 3 main mods are all showing a cold easterly by then..??

There must be a lot of uncertainty or bbc have other info that doesn't agree why what we are seeing..

Don't normally post in mods but am confused by the Ramping & what's being forcast..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
14 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Some strange posts especially from MVH. Im not going to explain why again but the way some use the ensembles is wrong in my opinion especially when we have blocking to the NE and a possible E,ly.

Lets start by addressing some of the comments that the ECM Op is likely to be wrong.

Recm1441.gifRukm1441.gif

The ECM/UKMO have been extremely consistent at this timeframe. So why we you prefer to go with the ensembles which have the starting data altered, ran at lower resolution?

Anyone who has anything negative to say about the models this morning clearly were not around in the 1980s. Im not saying a big freeze is on its way but at the moment these charts have me drooling.

What a great post as usual from one of my favourite members in net weather. Always loved your post. You are so right about when you say the part about the models and what they are showing and if you were around in the 80s. We had these setups and in February before, and 91. Days and days of snow and daytime temperatures of -8 or lower not to mention the wind chill. The models might change, upgrades or downgrades we just don't know yet but based on the models and what they are showing might happen then we would get plenty of the white stuff and it would stick around during Feb.

image.png

image.png

• Like 5

Posted

Only at T96 but the block looks a fair bit further west to me, this could be a good thing - also the the Jet is digging further South.  

This looks a good run, although still early.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

06 GFS better alignment of Scandi high and slightly more progressive with increased energy undercutting at 96hrs. Small steps but encouraging.

gfsnh-0-90.png

Edited by supernova

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Met still going for a colder period later this month

If the ECM was correct it would be cold next week, is this classed as mid/late Feb I wonder.  Looking good for a colder Feb though, that sounds good to me - better than mild with rain like today thats for sure.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So here we are, then...A new month and unsurprisingly:

The building-blocks are all in place, for a real beast-from-the-east, the models are all singing from the same hymn-sheet and, as is always the case: the trend is our friend...

That said, I'll believe it when I see it!:friends:

• Like 8

Posted

High much better located on the 6z, and like the ECM the cold pool looks like its heading in mid-late next week, the cold pool a big upgrade too from the 00z.

All very good so far

Edit - at 180 the cold pool hits the East coast, and it looks like the Jet is about to dig south in the Atlantic, can't post the chart but it looks fantastic and we just need a Siberian reload now.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

If on the Atlantic would relent, madenning to watch. Some very deep areas of LP holding everything up.

gfs-0-156.png

gfs-1-162.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

At last getting there, like watching paint dry! Colder run coming up.

gfs-0-192.png

gfs-1-192.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Another cold outlier on its way.:yahoo:

Rtavn2042.gif

A stunning chart.

Looks like the GFS listened when I asked for a Siberian reload....I kind of expected a downgrade. not a fantastic upgrade.

Infact another BOOOOOOOM, what a great run....snow and bitter beast by next weekend.

Steve Murr special looking at this - is it classed as a sausage

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Met still going for a colder period later this month

I always wonder when Ian summarises,Is he referring mainly to his own forecast area though when interpreting what the U.K. Met office think

West/SW England would not be getting convective sea streamers from an easterly 

Ergo mainly dry and cold 

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Another cold outlier on its way.:yahoo:

Rtavn2042.gif

A stunning chart.

just need to get it to t+72 now....just five days to wait.

Posted

-13C upper temps hitting kent coast.

Rmgfs2192.gif

Snow showers pushing well inland, probably as far as Wales.

• Like 8

Posted

:bomb: Lovely run, boom boom... Nationwide snow by D8/9:yahoo:

gfs-0-216.png

gfs-1-216.png

gfs-2-222.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

A cold run for the UK this morning. Anyone who moans about this evolution needs to change their expectations. Looking snowy too.

gfseu-1-228 (1).png

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 8