Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted

Another good GFS with the continental feed starting around day 8, looks like a reload of colder air over West Russia that could link in with the weaker Easterly and bring something colder out way.  The heights in Scandy look very strong again, and potentially lie at a better angle and are definately halting and pushing the Atlantic back.

By next Wed the 12z has us with snow flurries off the North Sea.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png UW120-21.GIF?31-17

Well, that low sure is keen to get away from the steering flow of the main Atlantic jet stream that's for sure!

UW144-21.GIF?31-17

UKMO produces a mighty low to stand-off against the mighty block. It's actually helpful if the low swinging in at +120 as shown above phases nicely with the broader trough, as that keeps it further west. Initially it's not the best for advecting warm air up the west flank of the block, but as the storm winds down the upstream forcing from the MJO should start to kick in, hence there's good scope for that trough to possess little eastward momentum against the block. Getting it to disrupt with another secondary low sliding SE to advect the deep cold west in the 7-10 day range, well that's another matter...!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h500slp.png h850t850eu.png

The Euro low has a better shape to it but the block is not as well focused over Scandi. Could see the south maintain a cold feed from here on but the north could see westerlies for a little longer.

I'd stay to watch the rest of the run roll out but I'm too busy for such casual activities :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

That's a solid brick wall..!

Good trends again on the 12z :good:

gfsnh-12-192.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
10 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

You are indeed missing something. TEITS was very clearly referring to mild westerlies being predicted to be blasted well into Europe by the 6th of Feb but that outcome is not forecast in current output. He correctly pointed out that further out low pressure systems are being predicted to blast much further east yet the European block tends to be holding strong. At no point did he deny it is currently wet or that low pressure is stalling over the UK. Re-read his post.

I was just pointing out the UK perspective, and of course your location the Europe picture is more interesting, as it really does not have much interest if Poland is snowed in and the UK is in a westerly flow; the same for the US going into the freezer when  the forecast was much milder! For my location the block being more persuasive has made little difference as to surface conditions, that being my point. I have no interest in that block bringing a continental flow for the last remnants of the winter as I want snow rather than cold.

The GEM moving from one cluster to another:

0zgem-0-162.png  12zgem-0-156.png

Which is my point re the models clueless at the moment. Expect changes run to run, cross and inter model.

Edited by IDO
  • Like 3

Posted

Try your best Atlantic , but you ain't winning this battle. This isn't deep FI and with UKMO support this is quite an interesting period. If ECM follows suite surely it has a good chance of verifying in some shape or form (the block), getting a big freeze is trickier. We just need Ian F to have some more positive tweet.

IMG_4111.PNG

Day 10 = very pleasant viewing :-)

IMG_4112.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Some really fascinating output from the ops at the moment, this Arctic/Scandi high is causing some inter run fluctuations. The differences between the 00-06-12z GFS are quite big even in the mid term.

At 120 we are getting some nice southerly lows, but losing the prospect of the early arrival of the cold pool

GFSOPEU12_120_1.png

However by 213 the UK is freezing and that cold pool to the east is just monumental!!

GFSOPEU12_213_2.png

UKMO ramps up the Atlantic low at 144, but still loaded with potential going forward with the high holding its latitude and a nice Italy low in place

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

This Scandi/Arctic high really has appeared out of nowhere!!! I cant remember any means or anomalies picking it up a few days back!! Just shows how things can quickly evolve when it comes to the NWP.

• Like 2

Posted

What a sight.. Big block to our east and another in the Atlantic :blink2:

gfsnh-12-228.png

gfsnh-6-234.png

• Like 6

Posted

Classic stuff from gfs, really hoping it has the correct handle on this now.

Ukmo, not sure its as good as gfs at 144, looks kind of similar..need that huge low to disrupt

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

That's a solid brick wall..!

Good trends again on the 12z :good:

gfsnh-12-192.png

I do like a black hole anomaly!! And that a nice place to have the centre!!! Solid high lat block there!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, IDO said:

I was just pointing out the UK perspective, and of course your location the Europe picture is more interesting, as it really does not have much interest if Poland is snowed in and the UK is in a westerly flow; the same for the US going into the freezer when  the forecast was much milder! For my location the block being more persuasive has made little difference as to surface conditions, that being my point. I have no interest in that block bringing a continental flow for the last remnants of the winter as I want snow rather than cold.

Which is my point re the models clueless at the moment. Expect changes run to run, cross and inter model.

That run is different for the whole of europe, never mind the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

That is an utter monster of a cold pool slowly enveloping Europe on this run. Compare with the 06z. A real beast from the east if ever there was one. Upgrade!

gfseu-1-252.png

gfseu-1-240 (1).png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

C'MON cold that's it, keep marching west and bring the powder snow with you :D

gfsnh-1-204.pnggfsnh-1-216.pnggfsnh-1-228.pnggfsnh-1-252.png

• Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, IDO said:

Thats a serious swing from the GEM op, just highlights the volatility of such a pattern.

Posted
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

I do like a black hole anomaly!! And that a nice place to have the centre!!! Solid high lat block there!

Me too..  I'm trying not to get too exited though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ukmo, not sure its as good as gfs at 144, looks kind of similar..

gfs-0-144.png?12GFS

UW144-21.GIF?31-17UKMO Colder in Europe

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ukmo, not sure its as good as gfs at 144, looks kind of similar..need that huge low to disrupt

The block looks well aligned and if anything a tad further West than GFS but the bowling ball low in the Atlantic could be better. Still, it would not be shifting that block in a hurry and would be sure to disrupt.

The good news is they are fairly similar with the well aligned impenetrable block forming. :good:

UN144-21.GIF?31-17gfsnh-0-144.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

Thats a serious swing from the GEM op, just highlights the volatility of such a pattern.

Yeah that's a shame, I know it's the GEM but still goes to show that FI isn't much further than this weekend - it'll be v dissapointing if the ECM follows the GEM - -and without the METO onboard for any type of Easterly it could well go that way.  

Tonights BBC long range may mention the possibility I guess.

• Like 1