Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Booking Flights - Direct with Airline or via Comparison Site?

Stu Short

Hi All

I'm interested to know what people's experiences are of booking their flight. As the title says, did you book direct through the airline or via a 3rd party agent and, if so, was it a smooth ride or should I steer clear? This is my 4th trip out now but the last was in 2012 and I can't for the life of me remember how or who I booked through.

Cheers in advance.

Posted

Hi Stu

Numerous others have used 3rd party operators and had no problems so think it should be ok, I always book with BA so cant vouch for that route although others am sure will be along in this thread to talk through their findings and I know lots have booked via Skyscanner etc for this years trip so will advice I would imagine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

Hi there, my brother recently went through a nightmare after paying to a 3rd party agent found using comparison website. They got £1600 for 3 passengers and never sent him any reservation number. The case is with police now, guy who got the money operates from Thailand :diablo: and has a business address in London. My brother got his money back only through his bank. I would never pay anyone like this. If this makes sense, please stay clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just be very careful with some 3rd party sellers. Check reviews on Trust Pilot beforehand. I have booked with Travel Trolley for my flights to the states in August, they have good reviews and have had no problems so far, and they offered a bargain. Sky Scanner bring up a lot of dodgy sellers.

If in doubt, stick to the airline or Expedia.

I've not had a problem with Skyscanner and have booked a few flights through them in the past couple of years, although, as with everything online, you just have to be very cautious before sending money anywhere or paying for anything. If it's too good to be true it probably is! The other sites I've used without problem are Opodo, Kayak and Expedia.

Posted
6 hours ago, Jezza said:

I've not had a problem with Skyscanner and have booked a few flights through them in the past couple of years, although, as with everything online, you just have to be very cautious before sending money anywhere or paying for anything. If it's too good to be true it probably is! The other sites I've used without problem are Opodo, Kayak and Expedia.

Well it's not Sky Scanner you book with, it's one of the various 3rd party sellers they trawl through. Some of them have dreadful reviews and you shouldn't touch them with a barge pole. 

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Well it's not Sky Scanner you book with, it's one of the various 3rd party sellers they trawl through. Some of them have dreadful reviews and you shouldn't touch them with a barge pole. 

Yep, very true. The same thing applies though.. If it's too good to be true it probably is!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Tornadoes, Interesting Cloud Formation

Stick with airline sites or a travel agent. Something as important as this shouldn't be left to chance. 

Of course Skyscanner and other such  sites are a good tool but use under caution.

I'm keeping an eye on airline sites, checking everyday.

MCA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

I've booked for this year with a group called FlySharp. How it fairs remains to be determined because I've just seen the reviews online! I didn't check them before I booked! :nonono:

Hope it works out as it was only £500 return to DFW from MAN, via LHR.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

I've booked for this year with a group called FlySharp. How it fairs remains to be determined because I've just seen the reviews online! I didn't check them before I booked! :nonono:

Posted
7 hours ago, mikeofmacc said:

Have they sent you a reservation number to view your booking on the airline's website? If they have then you should be good.

It has less than desirable reviews on Trustpilot...

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/flysharp.com

Edited by Nick L

Posted

Have always booked direct with the flight company and have found to get very good deals. Its the seat options that kills all the deals though. Why you have to pay to sit next to your partner is pathetic. Robbing swines.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Given there's currently very little difference between 3rd Party prices and Airline prices (well, not enough to take the risk anyway), I think I'll just go with the airline. I'm looking to book a direct flight whilst avoiding the likes of United and Delta airlines. 

Get this though... a direct flight from Heathrow to Fort Worth is about £700 currently. However, an indirect 1 stop flight from Newcastle to Fort Worth - bearing in mind that the stop off is Heathrow, is £550. THAT is messed up and is apparently all down to airport taxes. Pretty scandalous I reckon.

Posted
50 minutes ago, on the coast said:

Have always booked direct with the flight company and have found to get very good deals. Its the seat options that kills all the deals though. Why you have to pay to sit next to your partner is pathetic. Robbing swines.

Depends on your airline though. United and Delta in my experience they don't charge for selecting seats. BA are the worst for this, they charge a ridiculous amount to pick a seat.

13 minutes ago, Stu Short said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Given there's currently very little difference between 3rd Party prices and Airline prices (well, not enough to take the risk anyway), I think I'll just go with the airline. I'm looking to book a direct flight whilst avoiding the likes of United and Delta airlines. 

Get this though... a direct flight from Heathrow to Fort Worth is about £700 currently. However, an indirect 1 stop flight from Newcastle to Fort Worth - bearing in mind that the stop off is Heathrow, is £550. THAT is messed up and is apparently all down to airport taxes. Pretty scandalous I reckon.

I've always had decent flights with United and Delta. Had one experience with American Airlines, never again.

Well, I've just booked my flights through Omega Flight Store - direct flight at a 'too good to be true' price. Got my itinerary, no email confirmation as of yet though, but have been onto the BA website to check the booking and I'm all logged and confirmed. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 17:36, Stu Short said:

So pleased you mentioned that about Newcastle. I hadn't even considered Newcastle and was looking at going from Manchester via Chicago. Just got to decide whether to fly out a day early or not now for tour 1.