Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sunlight issue's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Hi

I've got an Oregon WMR88 weather station and I'm having problems with sunlight dramatically raising temperatures and showing false readings.

I'm after some advice that will stop this. I am aware I probably won't get it perfect, but if I can get it fairly close without spending loads of ££ then I will be happy.

i am going to try putting a mini leantoo over it today, however I'm wondering if that will cause problems with night time temps?

any advice will be much appreciated.

thanks

karlos 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Here's my quick fix! 

Will see how it does today. 

IMG_5425.PNG

Posted

You'll get higher temperatures during the night during radiative cooling events (calm, clear nights), but that's probably a good thing as in my experience, the shield of the Oregon units actually tend to under-read on occasion as the casing cools quicker than the atmosphere similarly to how a car windscreen ices over on a night not quite down to freezing.

The shield will be an improvement but I found a better design on my Oregon backup station was a slightly larger shield with small holes in to allow airflow. That way you don't end up trapping heat inside during warm and sunny days. Despite all this though, it still over-reads on average by around 3C on hot summer days. That's compared to a 24/7 aspirated Davis VP2 with custom 12v fan though, so for a cheap station its not too bad.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1