Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->


Recommended Posts

Forecast  today states that for Kent areas with elevation will have snow so Wrotham and Baffin Hill should get something. Can anyone near these locations confirm or otherwise as my Grandson wants to see his first snow  as I promised I would show him some! I'm in big trouble if I don't find some......keep the reports coming in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's settling now 

I think snow chances this evening for most of us that live at low-levels will depend very much on how quickly the colder and drier arctic air undercuts the rain from the NW - which will relate to how

I've only just realised what a bunch of nutters we all are lol. All this drama for a 'bit' of snow .... I've spent hours if not days n days watching all this unfold .....Now all I'm left with is about

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Been raining here in Harpenden, Herts and this town has good height. 

Dull grey and damp... You would never think this is an easterly in Feb. 

 

Its very much an easterly, maybe not a freezing bitterly cold one but it is still an easterly. For here, I've woken up a second morning to falling flakes and a dusting on roofs and a few cars! Looks like it could steadily snow for at least half hour more to come here as more comes off of the north sea.

It's freezing here aswell! 0.3c and rising

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if this doesn't convince you of AGW then nothing will.  I can almost guarantee if this was the 80s this would be snow and frozen ground. 

Going from experience,  I would say even in cold outbreaks now we are around 2c warmer than 30 years ago 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Delka said:

Its very much an easterly, maybe not a freezing bitterly cold one but it is still an easterly. For here, I've woken up a second morning to falling flakes and a dusting on roofs and a few cars! Looks like it could steadily snow for at least half hour more to come here as more comes off of the north sea.

It's freezing here aswell! 0.3c and rising

 

It may be an easterly source but it's the worst of all easterlys. 

I think you are the only member in region to have a dusting, so good for you. Better than nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick scan of the models for next week, tells me that I can move the sledge from the front of the shed to the back, and replace it with the barbecue. Wednesday is 13 degrees and sunny.

Fingers tightly crossed for a late Feb / early March freeze. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay guys, yes it's a disappointing easterly we established this before it even arrived, but there is still a chance for something to come off that could chance your minds so how about waiting for that before complaining about how terrible it has been, as it hasn't even ended yet.

Just ignore the greyness outside and think about how it could be a snow shower soon enough. Don't complain yet and bring down the atmosphere lower then it already is in here.

Edited by Delka
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, terryall said:

Forecast  today states that for Kent areas with elevation will have snow so Wrotham and Baffin Hill should get something. Can anyone near these locations confirm or otherwise as my Grandson wants to see his first snow  as I promised I would show him some! I'm in big trouble if I don't find some......keep the reports coming in.

Did you miss out a few weeks ago then Terry?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, terryall said:

Forecast  today states that for Kent areas with elevation will have snow so Wrotham and Baffin Hill should get something. Can anyone near these locations confirm or otherwise as my Grandson wants to see his first snow  as I promised I would show him some! I'm in big trouble if I don't find some......keep the reports coming in.

Raining at top of blue bell hill about an hour ago at 600ft asl

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Delka said:

Okay guys, yes it's a disappointing easterly we established this before it even arrived, but there is still a chance for something to come off that could chance your minds so how about waiting for that before complaining about how terrible it has been, as it hasn't even ended yet.

Just ignore the greyness outside and think about how it could be a snow shower soon enough. Don't complain yet and bring down the atmosphere lower then it already is in here.

Yeah there might be a flake or two possible tonight. But things gradually turning milder from Saturday  onwards. 

I think we have every right to complain - we are snow starved for the 4th year, I and many others are waiting for Snow. 

'Meanwhile, it's raining lightly outside here in Hertfordshire at 150m asl half way through an easterly in February'

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Chance in our area will be overnight.

I have a feeling it'll be less than the snow last month and a very light dusting at best. We will see. I'll be walking back from the pub at around midnight so fingers crossed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning All, Feels pretty raw here this morning, still very grey with some bits of frozen drizzle about.

I know the mood is downbeat in here guys but rest assured that in reality the UK will have experienced the same weak Easterlies made up of a small cold pool that breaks away from a larger pool 50,60,100 years ago, not every Easterly can be the beast, but it will come again in the future.

As Delka says you could be looking at snow in 12 hours time, take what we can from it, then onto the next:)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

4c here :wallbash: its very grey and the clouds have got that strange color in them when its snowy. Two separate people said to me It looks snowy this morning (maybe I'm being overly hopeful) The odd thing is its just so still, no wind, no clouds moving, nothing. :sorry:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Daryl Dixon said:

I have a feeling it'll be less than the snow last month and a very light dusting at best. We will see. I'll be walking back from the pub at around midnight so fingers crossed

What pub is that Spyglass?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those in the SE need to realise a few aspects of this cold spell.

Firstly the cold pool is coming from the NE not the continent. As a result you won't experience the cold pool until later on today.

Current upper temps.

Rmgfs092.gif

9pm tonight.

Rmgfs212.gif

Problem is its a very narrow window for the SE. I did say in the model thread how the SE could miss out but the problem is you are ignored when members don't like what you are saying!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well im off to gatwick soon,so be nice to see some white stuff falling,but as I said in an earlier statement,this is a very poor winter in my eyes,the beast from the east has been tamed,when will proper winters return

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky news weather big lot of snow over the North Sea just dissipates the nearer it gets to land .What is the point of having weather models even at a short range they never get it right all the millions spent on computers be better off going back to the old ways of doing it and putting the money into the NHS.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sweetdream said:

Hi, TEITS .

  Am I right in that this  heavy rain moving inland was not shown . And also that with temp and Dp to rise we are in for a rather wet day. 

Chears. 

The models indicated the showers would move further inland today although not as heavy or widespread as the radar suggests. By the way DPs are set to drop during the day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Well im off to gatwick soon,so be nice to see some white stuff falling,but as I said in an earlier statement,this is a very poor winter in my eyes,the beast from the east has been tamed,when will proper winters return

Nice to find someone else from Rye.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...