Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
6 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

The only reason why some think we're in for a run of cold winters is because it coincides with Solar Minimum. However, the reality is that any affect this has on our climate has been negated by climate change. 

Take what you can folks, because even a few grains of snow will be a thing of the past before long.

While global warming and climate change are real, this is a bit of simplistic view of things. You have to take into account the effect that the temp of the overall globe has on weather patterns. It's totally possible while the globe can be warmer on average, some areas can be cooler than they used to. This is just one example, I'm not saying it will happen as I have no info on any research. Often you here people talking of winters of the past and how bad they used to be, then using this personal experience as evidence for global warming, which is as much evidence for global warming as "it's cold here so global warming is a fraud" is against it. 

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting to see those near the Thames estuary with drizzle, yet move inland and we have snizzle. I'm guessing the North Sea is modifying the dew points in that area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy
43 minutes ago, snowray said:

Saturday's ppn.

I seem to be in that hole in the PPN, looks to be pretty sleety to me anyway in the afternoon, so best of any snow will be in the morning.

45-574UK.GIF

48-574UK.GIF

54-574UK.GIF

57-574UK.GIF

Well the cold air is here. Some light snow flurries around today, tonight and through Friday. These light in nature and pretty isolated. Lincs northwards may get some slightly heavier ones tomorrow. Saturday is looking messy. Very grey, cold and occasional wintery showers. Unlikely to be any *significant* snow away from say the Eastern Pennies and NE. Low land likely to see a wintry mix through Saturday daytime. Temps 3-5C. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Anyone notice this little trough moving in from the east coast on the latest fax chart, could pep up shower activity tomorrow morning.

fax24s.gif

• Like 3

Posted

Went out for a long walk this morning around the local RSPB reserve and I was surprised just how benign the weather was. Hardly a breath of wind and no hint of the wind chill both national and local forecasts mentioned this morning.

River Gt Ouse running high and very coloured, fair bit of standing water about, but no precipitation of any kind, temp is currently 2.3c and wind from the S at 2.5 kph

Edited by huntso

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Anyone notice this little trough moving in from the east coast on the latest fax chart, could pep up shower activity tomorrow morning.

fax24s.gif

This would tie in with why Heathrow have gone for a prob 40 rather than 30. Note it snow showers too rather than light snow showers etc. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Interesting to see those near the Thames estuary with drizzle, yet move inland and we have snizzle. I'm guessing the North Sea is modifying the dew points in that area.

im on the coast of the north sea and we've had actual snow this morning not even just snizzle

Posted
6 minutes ago, Delka said:

im on the coast of the north sea and we've had actual snow this morning not even just snizzle

Heavier you can get the precip the more likely it will be snow I guess. Once again our snow is being very marginal. One day we will see a proper easterly again. 

Posted
1 minute ago, John Hodgson said:

Heavier you can get the precip the more likely it will be snow I guess. Once again our snow is being very marginal. One day we will see a proper easterly again. 

its not heavy i can assure you, most of the morning it was just a few odd flakes floating around in the breeze.

From the radar though, its all of a sudden not picking up the precipitation in the sea around me so im just watching out the window.. they do look like from further north that they are pepping up a bit though..

• Like 1

Got the 62cc 20" bar chainsaw fired up yesterday mum wants me to chop all the wood up and dry it out for next winter. 

Going on my CS30 soon (first course of about 20 in using a chainsaw and becoming a tree surgeon) 

Brutal bit of kit is used incorrectly, my gear alone has set me back £400 the first course is £300!! 

Ive probably set myself up in one of the most expensive careers there is in terms of being fully qualified! 

Anyone need a tree surgeon in a year or so? Lol!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Been snowing extremely lightly all day here in Herts.

Although pretty pathetic, moans and jokes aside at least it is snow. 

I mean if it isn't this, then it's Atlantic wet dross. Least it feels like winter. 

Posted

The further North you go the less clag and drizzle to supress any convection, if you look on sat24 the dull clag has ever so slowly cleared very slightly down as far as the wash, so showers up there are more convective in nature they can even be seen forming shower trains across the North sea, whereas this low down its more the thick clag causing frozen drizzle.

Hoping over the next 24 hours it clears a bit further south so the region can take any advantage possible of any convective trains that can develop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Drizzle here in SE 13. 1.5c. This despite NW extra radar showing it as snow?

Posted

Colder air seems to be moving in now, temp down from 2 to 1.6 in the last 30 minutes. Maybe this drizzle may turn a little whiter later.

Edited by warrenb

Posted
1 hour ago, snowray said:

fax24s.gif

Now that is a nice little short range development!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

some very light whitey sleety nonsense as I waited at school, some mum said 'omg it's getting snowy now too' 

right.:cc_confused:

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Same here, nothing on radar but in fact its been raining for about half an hour, all rain though no sleet in it. If it had been snow there would have been a covering by now since everything is wet.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Got the 62cc 20" bar chainsaw fired up yesterday mum wants me to chop all the wood up and dry it out for next winter. 

Going on my CS30 soon (first course of about 20 in using a chainsaw and becoming a tree surgeon) 

Brutal bit of kit is used incorrectly, my gear alone has set me back £400 the first course is £300!! 

Ive probably set myself up in one of the most expensive careers there is in terms of being fully qualified! 

Anyone need a tree surgeon in a year or so? Lol!! 

Good money though once your qualified, I had 2 medium trees cut down last year cost few hundred and he was cheap apparently, could have cost nearer a thousand. Is it very dangerous to use the chain saw? My dad had some but I have never used them. 

11 minutes ago, snowray said:

Good money though once your qualified, I had 2 medium trees cut down last year cost few hundred and he was cheap apparently, could have cost nearer a thousand. Is it very dangerous to use the chain saw? My dad had some but I have never used them. 

Will be one of the most rewarding things with me personal and will be looking to set up my own company when fully qualified. 

Using a chainsaw is probably up there with the top 3 most dangerous engine powered hand tools. My chain saw is 62cc which is quite large you wouldn't use this when climbing. That means if I touched my arm with it in full motion it would be like putting a hot knife through butter you wouldn't need any force and would be off in under a second. 

The 2 things that will kill a tree surgeon is falling upside down while roped in the tree. Not to mention if you fall upside down with your chainsaw in motion. (your chain break may kick in) so you can't legally cut down a tree or do any work unless you both have aerial rescue training which I think is around CS30-40ish. 

The top one though is kickback. Which occurs when the tip or just above/below is pinched by either a log you are cutting or a knot etc. This is a change in momentum. So if you are cutting down the chain is being pulled towards you so the momentum of the saw goes directly up and away (through you). 

If you are cutting up the chain is being pushed away from you. So the kickbsck goes down and through you. 

Most commonly a tree surgeon on a standard fell and remove of a medium tree will experience kickback all day most are minor jerks or pulling forward of the chainsaw. But each day you expect 2 major kickbacks where the saw is basically thrown at you. 

All chainsaws now have break bars which is meant to automatically kick down and stop the chain from moving. 

I'm still learning so i think I got that all right lol! 

Anyway back on the weather and it's well, grey... 

Edited by Surrey