Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, OfficialKevWX said:

The last storm wasn't officially named by the metoffice...

Was it not worthy of a name?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The forecast development and track of storm Doris has the strongest winds impacting East Anglia this Thursday afternoon. Arpege going for gusts peaking at up to 130 kmh (80 mph). Not often we get winds of that strength effecting this part of the UK. And as @Daniel* has already mentioned above, from a look at the Fax Charts for Thursday there does seem to be the possibility for a Sting Jet to form on the southern flank of the Low.

Hopefully the suggested storm intensity will ease back over the next 36 hours, but at the moment forecasts are showing the potential for Doris to blow over trees and fence panels and dislodge roof tiles.

Thurs pm: GFS SLP 58ac942a9fb6b_GFS12z21FebSLPforThur23Feb16_00.thumb.GIF.ea5f222a109b6ab5c2c6fe1eeee04d63.GIF  Arpege Wind Gusts 58ac94424e458_Arpege12z21FebGustsforThur23Feb15_00.thumb.png.dee475dd6cc1e0d70ed40bbb87cf8da5.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
13 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

The forecast development and track of storm Doris has the strongest winds impacting East Anglia this Thursday afternoon. Arpege going for gusts peaking at up to 130 kmh (80 mph). Not often we get winds of that strength effecting this part of the UK. And as @Daniel* has already mentioned above, from a look at the Fax Charts for Thursday there does seem to be the possibility for a Sting Jet to form on the southern flank of the Low.

Hopefully the suggested storm intensity will ease back over the next 36 hours, but at the moment forecasts are showing the potential for Doris to blow over trees and fence panels and dislodge roof tiles.

Thurs pm: GFS SLP 58ac942a9fb6b_GFS12z21FebSLPforThur23Feb16_00.thumb.GIF.ea5f222a109b6ab5c2c6fe1eeee04d63.GIF  Arpege Wind Gusts 58ac94424e458_Arpege12z21FebGustsforThur23Feb15_00.thumb.png.dee475dd6cc1e0d70ed40bbb87cf8da5.png

Thursday is shaping up to be one of those days when you want to avoid going very far unless you have to.  It's hardly surprising that it's been named and good to see that the Met Office has posted an amber warning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I think the Daily Express might have named that one, peeps!:D

Storm NathanRaopoopamouth

• Like 1

Posted

Morning All. a grey cool morning with slight breeze and fine drizzle

Observations

Observed at 08:00, Wednesday 22 February

Thick Cloud

11°C 52°F

Wind Speed 27 km/h 17 mph West South Westerly

Humidity: 93%

Visibility: Moderate

Pressure: 1009mb, Falling

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

Looking like the journey to work tomorrow may be wet and windy though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Don't like wind storms. #willstayinbed all day.:help:

Edited by Dami

Posted

Or storm Dorothy as the weather presenter called it on Look East said this morning at 07.00.

Think she has seen the Wizard Of Oz too many times

• Like 3

Posted

Looking a bit tasty now  for  us seems Doris is more south winds 80 mph now   could be a few problems on  the  roads

Posted

Already a bit windier here in St James. 50 mph winds in London may cause a few problems mainly, i am guessing, due to the dry conditions we have had for so long.

Reckon a few branches may be downed and even a few trees. The eastern areas in the firing line may come off a lot worser than us in the SE though.

Posted

Last night, not sure if it was before or after midnight, I was just lying awake in bed and listening to some pretty heavy gusts of wind outside which went on for a while, but since then its been calm, I went out for a walk this afternoon and it even seemed warm.

I must admit I am a bit worried by these wind maps for tomorrow, it looks like we get it right on the coast here although maybe further round in places like Cromer will get it slightly worse.

• Like 1

Posted

local radio     saying  our  main bridge  over the  a14  at ipswich  could  be  shut  from 6 oclock   in the  morning  all day  due to the 80  mph   winds expected  if  that   happens   stay  out  of  town it will  be  mayhem!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms and Blizzards.
2 hours ago, tinybill said:

stay  out  of  town it will  be  mayhem!!!!

Or more importantly, stay of The Orwell Bridge. This does include container drivers to and from Felixtow.

Looking forward to some serious mayhem here in Bedford.

Posted
2 hours ago, tinybill said:

local radio     saying  our  main bridge  over the  a14  at ipswich  could  be  shut  from 6 oclock   in the  morning  all day  due to the 80  mph   winds expected  if  that   happens   stay  out  of  town it will  be  mayhem!!!!

I have driven over the orwell bridge in fairly light winds before and felt the car veer to the side, it is not very safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Mild and Breezy here in Seaford with grey skies, Why do we name low pressure systems? Is it a bit like copying the hurricane names? Chuckle.

Hopefully we will see some sunshine later. Sunset today 5.32. Have a nice day, good health to you all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

It's already windy here with trees swaying and a gust of 35 mph recorded in the last hour. Can't say I'm looking forward to widespread gusts of twice that this afternoon! Whilst I love extreme weather, the storm of 1987 dented my enthusiasm for extreme winds as I ended up with a roof with lots of tiles missing!

I've been out this morning and propped a few spare fence posts against my fence to provide extra support. And I've moved my car away from the trees at the bottom of my garden.

So here's this morning's forecasts. Carol's graphics showing 60-70 mph widely inland, but she says 80-90 mph possible for exposed hills and coasts. Arpege consistent with a forecast of gusts up to 130 kph (80 mph). Looks like the peak time for our Region is between 14.00 and 16.00.

58ae93f076f8c_BBCCarolThur23Feb.thumb.jpg.d6205964a95eaa0579be962b97bb442f.jpg58ae9400a0866_ArpegeWindGustsThur23Feb15_00.thumb.png.ea16e72c93df793a15f34f810fb7a699.png

Posted

The forecasted winds even for the London area have increased to gusts of almost 60MPH! I love winds, however when sleeping at night, not when you actually have to do stuff in them.

• Like 1

Posted

The forecasted winds even for the London area have increased to gusts of almost 60MPH! I love winds, however when sleeping at night, not when you actually have to do stuff in them.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

It's already windy here with trees swaying and a gust of 35 mph recorded in the last hour. Can't say I'm looking forward to widespread gusts of twice that this afternoon! Whilst I love extreme weather, the storm of 1987 dented my enthusiasm for extreme winds as I ended up with a roof with lots of tiles missing!

I've been out this morning and propped a few spare fence posts against my fence to provide extra support. And I've moved my car away from the trees at the bottom of my garden.

So here's this morning's forecasts. Carol's graphics showing 60-70 mph widely inland, but she says 80-90 mph possible for exposed hills and coasts. Arpege consistent with a forecast of gusts up to 130 kph (80 mph). Looks like the peak time for our Region is between 14.00 and 16.00.

58ae93f076f8c_BBCCarolThur23Feb.thumb.jpg.d6205964a95eaa0579be962b97bb442f.jpg58ae9400a0866_ArpegeWindGustsThur23Feb15_00.thumb.png.ea16e72c93df793a15f34f810fb7a699.png

Here on the North Kent coast we're the tiniest fraction out of the dark red zone on the Arpege at 3pm today, however, this is being almost ignored on the weather bulletins. Obviously it's going to be a lot worse further north, but what's the chances of Doris moving slightly South?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Amber warning updated to include parts of London.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1487808000

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It's no wonder the amber warning is closer to London!

If my memory is correct that is Euston road with Judd street on the left

• Like 1