Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted

Is it just me, or does anyone else think something special is brewing? After reading some of the more experienced member posts, and now the massively upgraded Met Office outlook, I think we could be on the cusp of something we've been starved of for many years. I'm pretty sure the models will upgrade for coldies very soon!

• Like 2

Posted

Well this is interesting. It seemed like a pretty dry month to me but 25-50% above average rainfall in January for much of London including my location when it did rain, it did come down and it was persistent on a couple of days.

One of the wettest regions in the UK -  that's not a normal occurrence much drier in Norfolk although that's typical being quite sheltered from Atlantic fronts. 

IMG_1813.thumb.JPG.d1a907b5b482e3497110dc8cee6526b4.JPG

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
29 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think something special is brewing? After reading some of the more experienced member posts, and now the massively upgraded Met Office outlook, I think we could be on the cusp of something we've been starved of for many years. I'm pretty sure the models will upgrade for coldies very soon!

I continue to feel that we will see some decent cold and some snow before winter is over, maybe in early spring too. But am not expecting anything special, maybe a week at most? Will probably be mild and windy lol.

After the cloud cleared earlier it has been a lovely sunny day, looking forward to spring and planting season. A way to go though.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

I continue to feel that we will see some decent cold and some snow before winter is over, maybe in early spring too. But am not expecting anything special, maybe a week at most? Will probably be mild and windy lol

Time will tell, but I agree, I'm sure we will see some snow soon!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Time will tell, but I agree, I'm sure we will see some snow soon!

Well I had a feeling this winter would be somewhat different to previous ones, just a gut feeling mind you, nothing scientific! Would be nice to see a few days of snowy cold, but not too long. Still a good month to go where anything decent is possible in that respect.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Well I had a feeling this winter would be somewhat different to previous ones, just a gut feeling mind you, nothing scientific! Would be nice to see a few days of snowy cold, but not too long. Still a good month to go where anything decent is possible in that respect.

The models are rolling out now and I predict an upgrade. The Met Office see what we don't and they seem confident, so it'll be interesting to see how this evolves!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
55 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Well this is interesting. It seemed like a pretty dry month to me but 25-50% above average rainfall in January for much of London including my location when it did rain, it did come down and it was persistent on a couple of days.

One of the wettest regions in the UK -  that's not a normal occurrence much drier in Norfolk although that's typical being quite sheltered from Atlantic fronts. 

IMG_1813.thumb.JPG.d1a907b5b482e3497110dc8cee6526b4.JPG

I only measured 19mm way below normal, most of that was New year day. Dec 12mm Nov 18mm feb to date 4mm and possibly after Wednesday that's it maybe for the month. You just know we will make up for it in spring and Summer 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

was pretty grim to have to go out yesterday evening for swimming, horrible dark, wet and a bit blowy, certainly  wanted to stay indoors. been sunny here all day.

Got another party tomorrow afternoon, it's gonna rain it always does.

Slow cooked beef stew and mash tonight for yum. yum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
15 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evening All

This thread will get busy from next Tues this week...

Flurries kicking about from Weds.... 

Hi Steve what about us in the midlands? ;)

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evening All

Thanks for keeping us informed Steve. Much appreciated.

Edited by Sharpedge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
47 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evening All

Nice one Steve.

Think they'll be a good few of us around!

Posted

Quiet in here. Not like the old days but maybe I don't drop enough any more.  

For me: weather as fun, part of life not life itself. We're very lucky in this country to have a mostly kind climate and actually that makes winter snow and summer storms, cold spells and heatwaves, more engaging, and makes it very hard to deal with for those that have suffered so much in recent years with terrible flooding.   Can't believe that the model thread is still going in the same way it has for at least a decade or probably more since I first signed up; it's surprising how many people follow every output and then the casual reader has has to  witness the rage or euphoria that follows, posters storming off and then coming back within a day, arguing about a bleedin' weather chart in a gulf-stream influenced mild climate.   Who really cares about this?  I love snow and ice, my ice axe and crampons are still in the attic, but for goodness sake this is the UK.  I have climbed and walked in the Highlands in winter, where there is a proper sub-Arctic plateau (Cairngorms) but whinging about no snow across most of the country, particularly in London and the south east, is bonkers. 

Anyway, hello to any of the folk that posted here way back when.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Extreme fog here! Most dense I've seen for a long long time. Surprised there no weather warning for this!