Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It is blimin' cold i tell ya. Cloudy and dull and even had a few spots of rain. Garden finished as far as mens with vans are concerned, now awaiting on the ordered stuffs, new wendy house, garden furniture and lighs etc.

I am hiding under a fleece blanket in my jim jams till further notice. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Lovely sunshine here but feeling very cold, more cold weather to come it would seem for late April with both GFS and ECM in agreement. Surely not the S word down here though at this time of the year....no, no, no.:doh::cold:

Posted

Morning All, and a chilly one to start the working week.

Observations

Observed at 07:00, Tuesday 18 April

6°C 43°F

Wind Speed 18 km/h 11 mph North North Easterly

Humidity: 66%

Visibility: Excellent

Pressure: 1030mb, Rising

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The feature between us and the coast of the Low Countries on the Fax Chart also showing up nicely on the satellite image this morning as a swirl of shower clouds being pushed towards us.

58f5d23f23344_FaxChart18April06_00.thumb.jpg.0ba94686a16fb8ec6cdbad62bca3a315.jpg58f5d24793b42_Cloud18April09_30.thumb.jpg.69059d147dc3331e6d481a73b0a50675.jpg

I suspect the brisk wind (gust of 21 mph recently) meant we avoided a ground frost here, although it got down to a chilly 3.8C. West is best in our patch today.

With lighter winds expected tonight, more chance of a frost.

• Like 2

Posted

Mmm. wonder what the weather will be like on June 8th? Hoping it will be a lovely sunny day and will bring all the voters out :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Another clear sky morning. No sign what so ever of any frost here in rural Hertfordshire. 

Once that sun rises it will again, continue to be another pleasant day in any sunshine 

Quite the opposite as is always the case when you read the MAD thread, if feels like an eternity reading their snow day posts at Day10. Laughable really. 

Temps possibly up to 17/18c on Friday in our part of the world. 

Love the fact there's been no rain either - what a change it makes having to tackle bogged fields on dogs walks and soaking rain on the commute to and from work... long may it continue! 

• Like 1

No frost here either and I'm semi rural here. 

Why for the love of weather would you want cold and snow now? Absoultey bonkers. It will have such a negative effect on our farmers and even people like myself who have fruit trees in blossom in the garden. 

While it does happen, it don't happen very often. Although from today I do expect next weeks cold to begin the climb down just like over winter and this last "cold" weather we are having now. 

Plus the strength of the sun now and it getting stronger each day. A waste of cold weather and people's time and money if you ask me. 

Another breath taking morning with Crystal clear skies and warm sunshine already. 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

Posted

Well i'm saying, like it or not we need the rain.

tough.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dami said:

Well i'm saying, like it or not we need the rain.

tough.

But there is not any rain guaranteed yet. In fact it looks dry until next week at least, even then we would probably enter a showery regime where by some get loads others miss out. 

We want an Atlantic break through to dump a load of rain. 

Posted

We had new lawn laid surrey please feel my pain!:closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted

Said it last summer during a dry period and the few weeks dry period the year before. 

Plug a hose on a tap or fill a watering can, problem solved. 

My friends parents and family, have run a farm for over 70 years, cattle, crops and harvest are doing really well so stop wishing for rain in a country where it's wet & miserable a considerable amount of time. 

It will soon enough be pi*ssing down for weeks on end & you'll be complaining that it's raining to much! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
38 minutes ago, Dami said:

We had new lawn laid surrey please feel my pain!:closedeyes:

I laid some new lawn about a months back and am having to water it, looks pitiful.

No frost again last night, in fact outside of the SE towards the West Mids where -2/-3c had been forecast it stayed above freezing, lowest temps 1-4c. Benson was the coldest temp at 0c towards the west of London and a couple of places only in Norfolk managed to got down to -1c. Temps should rise quite nicely now at we go towards the weekend, still think that next weeks northerly will get watered down, for the SE anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Said it last summer during a dry period and the few weeks dry period the year before. 

Plug a hose on a tap or fill a watering can, problem solved. 

My friends parents and family, have run a farm for over 70 years, cattle, crops and harvest are doing really well so stop wishing for rain in a country where it's wet & miserable a considerable amount of time. 

It will soon enough be pi*ssing down for weeks on end & you'll be complaining that it's raining to much! 

Where is the farm though Ben, where are you? You don't have a location there I noticed.

Posted

62838002.jpg

bite me.:D

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dami said:

62838002.jpg

bite me.:D

Well Dami, at least you live in the right country. UK top of list if it's rain you want. 

Maybe another couple of weeks dry weather (poor you) then I'm sure your beloved rain will return and return for a while 

Posted
8 minutes ago, snowray said:

Where is the farm though Ben, where are you? You don't have a location there I noticed.

Hi Snowray,

I'm in St Albans, Herts. 

The farm is based in Kensworth, close to whipsnade zoo. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Here in the Hadleigh 'hole' in the river valley we managed a very chilly -1.9C last night. But I note that Wattisham Air Base just up the road, which is on fairly high ground (for Suffolk) and is also a Met Office station, only managed a minimum of +0.7C. Clearly the 'frost hollow' effect.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Hi Snowray,

I'm in St Albans, Herts. 

The farm is based in Kensworth, close to whipsnade zoo. 

Hi Ben, why don't you put your location up? 

Posted

'Noon All.

Not to add to any sort of argument, but the fact of the matter is, is that there has been very little rain for quite some time in the SE London/Kent area. And although it may not loook like a desert out there, i can confirm it is very dry underfoot. I cannot remember such a long dry period for ages now (and i am and old git!)

I put a few Met O links up the other day, and in those links it specifically states that the London/SE are very dry

South East Region, Kent and South London Area

Summary – March 2017 March was a dry month, with the Kent and South London Area receiving only 41% of the Long Term Average rainfall for the period. Despite two preceding months of near normal rainfall, the 9 month period since last July was still the fifth driest recorded for the area as a whole, and the driest ever in parts of North Kent. Monthly mean river flows were mostly below normal or notably low, soil moisture deficits rose above the Long Term Average everywhere, and the recharge season began to close. Groundwater levels were generally below normal and by the end of the month were levelling out or even starting to fall

So, I personally think this dry spell will have some kind of knock on effect come summer/autumn when crops are getting harvested, fruit picked, etc. in the drier areas. As for other counties, i cannot speak as i dont live there. :)

Edited by MAF
I cant spell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely sunny day here with light winds. Bit of ice on the car this morning. This colder spell could bring some interesting convection our way with any luck, thundery showers but with lots of sunny spells too, sounds good :)

• Like 1