Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

there is a things that tick you off thread:pardon:

And while we're at it, people who don't put their shopping trolleys back in the bays and leave them in the car park :D

Edited by shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
12 minutes ago, shotski said:

And while we're at it, people who don't put their shopping trolleys back in the bays and leave them in the car park :D

and  family members who go shopping and come back with nothing you actually told them to buy,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

You're the expert on this one Surrey and I'm sure you're right that they are a wonderful hedge.....  but maybe only in the hands of an expert! :laugh:

It's just us amateur gardeners seem to have disasters with them. Over-trim and you end up with brown patches.  Cut them back and no new growth appears to cover the ugly gap.

58c81efe8d625_LeylandiiDisasters.thumb.jpg.fe48862b7c740065ff7cbc6b9de756ea.jpg58c81f068a6a3_LeylandiiDisasters3.thumb.jpg.133ff93e19a37e4c77fd9a5d49abc503.jpg

But in fairness to leylandii hedges, they can be rather good fun too :)

58c81f38db039_LeylandiiFun1.thumb.jpeg.5c35ca17e2513b653717b8f77dcaa79a.jpeg58c81f438cad8_LeylandiiFun2.thumb.jpeg.a1eb28a181c19b9d27abb1c8dd1b86c6.jpeg

^^ Well said @Dami. Me too. And it'll stop me droning on about hedges because I'm bored.

They are very very hardy but also fussy at the same time. Countless times I've seen an over cut laylandii hedge or dead patches. The problem is it almost kills itself off as it grows because it blocks the light out to other parts. If you trim it to hard you risk cutting it back to the dead and it only shooting upwards and you are left with dead patches. Or you trim it and do it with a blunt hedge cutter and disease gets in and creates dead patches. 

It also requires an immense water source, these things drink for England. If it's in poor soil with little access to any water then it will start to form dead patches. Remember the tap root on some of these bad boys are down if not more as high as the tree is. With a spread of well over 40-70feet 

Looking at first picture it looks like there use to be one on the end that was removed? Looking at the concrete around and what looks like a drive way it's a good job you took them out although they don't look very happy. 

Why not put a hawthorn hedge in? Will be filled with birds, security, hardy and has an amazing colour in summer with the berries. But remember it's deciduous. 

• Like 2

Posted

Morning All, well the foggy start to the day was unexpected. Quite thick when i left home, but clearing up as i crossed Westminster Bridge. Now sunny and bright but there is a distinct chill in the breeze.

Observations

Observed at 07:00, Wednesday 15 March

8°C 46°F

Wind Speed 2 km/h 1 mph West North Westerly

Humidity: 99%

Visibility: Poor

Pressure: 1034mb, Rising

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

^ Cheers @Surrey.

A beautiful start here. Some earlier high, thin cloud is melting away and it's lots of blue sky now. Temps rising rapidly, from 6.4C at 07.00 to 9.3C at 09.00.

@MAF When I looked at the cloud satellite earlier, whilst the clouds were drifting NW to SE, there was a patch not moving covering central southern England. Your post confirms it was an area of fog and Carol has just said this could be even more widespread tomorrow morning.

Cloud (and fog) 08.20: 58c906700f500_CloudWed15Mar08_20.thumb.jpg.60591a77aa2f3e21cd0aaccf7829ae00.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A glorious start to the day, despite forecasts suggesting a cloudy day, I suspect many will end up with a sunny one and quite warm too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Foggy and chilly this morning. A bit brr when i took out the re-cycling bin out for the bin men today. 

Cloudy and sunny again.

:lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful day now after the fog/low cloud cleared. Hurrah :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

@MAF When I looked at the cloud satellite earlier, whilst the clouds were drifting NW to SE, there was a patch not moving covering central southern England. Your post confirms it was an area of fog and Carol has just said this could be even more widespread tomorrow morning.

Carol was in St James's Park this morning. i should have made a detour into work :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

What another spiffing day we seem to have skipped Spring on gone straight to Summer. Blue skies in Seaford East Sussex.  The temp a lovely 13C. The garden is going mad in this sun. Sunset today 6.06. Good Health to you all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
28 minutes ago, Surrey said:

What a day long may it continue absolutely glorious 

That snowstorm in the US is going to waken the jet stream and put an end to this summery spell. Saturday is not looking good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Great day here too, 16c and sunny all day :D

We've had a 17c at Gatwick, by the time today is out it could end up as the warmest of the year.

Posted

Why can't this country get warmer instead of warmer, hotter, colder, mild again Horrible not quite cold enough for a coat, but too warm for a thick cardie. warm sun and cold wind. awful.

Edited by Dami

Posted
15 minutes ago, Dami said:

Why can't this country get warmer instead of warmer, hotter, colder, mild again Horrible not quite cold enough for a coat, but too warm for a thick cardie. warm sun and cold wind. awful.

Where the hell are you? No wind here.

• Like 1

Posted

by a hill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Wow, what a stunning day. Just perfect! 

IMG_4194.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Wow 15C. thats 59F in old money,here in Sunny Seaford, not a cloud in the sky. im sure this was not forecast. Good Health to you all.

Posted

When i said yesterday it might hit 16c i thought it'd hit that then drop again but its at a very respectable 16.6c and holding steady! Hottest day of the year so far, just wish it was set to continue

Posted

the whole region is enjoying lovely spring weather for a change! I've been enjoying it by popping to the beach and my neighbours even have a BBQ planned for this evening!

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 15.45.58.png

• Like 1

Posted

Stunning day. Reached 17C, Had to dress proper summery as was digging and sweating buckets!

Posted

I think you're coming down with something if you think it's cold..  Another decent spring day 17C with uninterrupted rather warm sunshine, what more could you want? 

• Like 1