Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
On 10/02/2017 at 01:13, Daniel* said:

.... but all the same if it reaches 5C on Saturday I would be absolutely lost for words, time to find a new hobby! 

(snipped)

Just to quickly return to yesterday's debate - I'm glad to say you won't be needing to give up your weather hobby Daniel. :) The official Met Office observations for Northolt in London show a maximum up to this evening of 2.3C. Here in Suffolk the official max for Wattisham, near me, was 1.8C. Where on earth did the Met Office get the 5C that they were still showing on their graphics during this morning's forecasts on the BBC?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

They are always playing down any cold these days, very strange indeed.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Just to quickly return to yesterday's debate - I'm glad to say you won't be needing to give up your weather hobby Daniel. :) The official Met Office observations for Northolt in London show a maximum up to this evening of 2.3C. Here in Suffolk the official max for Wattisham, near me, was 1.8C. Where on earth did the Met Office get the 5Cthat they were still showing on their graphics during this morning's forecasts on the BBC?

That's fantastic M, or perhaps not for my mental health :D  

Sometimes I feel they're on a different planet to my own. It is very common during cold spells often we see them knock down the projected temps before the day itself. On January 26 we had an ice day rather convincingly they were going for 2/3C maximum T's for London. Similarly their precipitation graphics are really quite poor in portraying the 'real time', while areas of precip have been as clear as day on the radar - on the forecast it's nowhere to be seen, someone needs to do a better job. One big slog chasing after a snow event we have been teased countless times this winter. Pretty despicable really, what these computer models do to you. I've never known a winter like it, as a keen model follower. I have interests in heat and storms to keep me engaged, I do not really go into hibernation as some on here do. This winter has been quite "boring", we have struggled greatly all winter to see HLB on the other hand MLB has dominated. Resulting in harsh frosts an abundance of them but zilch snow, and when we have seen HLB the placement/orientation as we're seeing is disappointing. I quite like the power of Atlantic depressions, long periods of anticyclonic conditions do not do much for me. I'm hopeful for one more cold spell, I do not think I can keep going on for much longer. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
15 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

That's fantastic M, or perhaps not for my mental health :D  

Sometimes I feel they're on a different planet to my own. It is very common during cold spells often we see them knock down the projected temps before the day itself. On January 26 we had an ice day rather convincingly they were going for 2/3C maximum T's for London. Similarly their precipitation graphics are really quite poor in portraying the 'real time', while areas of precip have been as clear as day on the radar - on the forecast it's nowhere to be seen, someone needs to do a better job. One big slog chasing after a snow event we have been teased countless times this winter. Pretty despicable really, what these computer models do to you. I've never known a winter like it, as a keen model follower. I have interests in heat and storms to keep me engaged, I do not really go into hibernation as some on here do. This winter has been quite "boring", we have struggled greatly all winter to see HLB on the other hand MLB has dominated. Resulting in harsh frosts an abundance of them but zilch snow, and when we have seen HLB the placement/orientation as we're seeing is disappointing. I quite like the power of Atlantic depressions, long periods of anticyclonic conditions do not do much for me. I'm hopeful for one more cold spell, I do not think I can keep going on for much longer. 

Great post I agree also. It's been a Winter that's "what could of been" we we're close to full blown cold but wasn't to be.

i know people like snow me also, but we have so gone over the top yesterday and today about a few flakes, I know it doesn't really take much in this country to get excited but really just for flakes\dusting, as I've said in my last few post sun and warmth please now!

Edited by slater
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
42 minutes ago, slater said:

Great post I agree also. It's been a Winter that's "what could of been" we we're close to full blown cold but wasn't to be.

i know people like snow me also, but we have so gone over the top yesterday and today about a few flakes, I know it doesn't really take much in this country to get excited but really just for flakes\dusting, as I've said in my last few post sun and warmth please now!

And just as you feel like chucking the towel in, looks like a band of pretty heavy snow could turn up in Norfolk tomorrow morning.:)

arpege-1-12-0.png

Edited by snowray

Posted

7 minutes ago, m1chaels said:

Waited for the blob N of London to cross over from East Anglia and it has arrived as more rain than snow sleet :(

:doh:

Arome 18z

aromehd-1-12-0.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Heavy rain here now. Typical, the heaviest PPN to pass over in this cold spell would naturally be falling as rain.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Dutch radar is very interesting :o

Temperatures have dropped back to 1C as a moderate snow shower just passed through.

Edited by essexweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
6 minutes ago, essexweather said:

Dutch radar is very interesting :o

Temperatures have dropped back to 1C as a moderate snow shower just passed through.

I've been watching that radar and also the French one, looks like it breaks up though.

Posted

Annoying so close to being a memorable event today, small margins make all the difference

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Sleet here let's hope it turns to snow

Posted

That big band just about to cross Lowestoft looks exciting, places like Cambridge down and across to Luton might be fun.

Posted
1 hour ago, Kent Blizzard said:

That big band just about to cross Lowestoft looks exciting, places like Cambridge down and across to Luton might be fun.

Sadly it's sleet in Cambridge with the disappointing drip drip drip sound..

Such a let down as a if it was a tad colder  it could of been a decent snow event for many.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Snow covered here in Hertfordshire this morning away from pavements.

The last hoorah from this dire cold spell. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

Snow covered here in Hertfordshire this morning away from pavements.

The last hoorah from this dire cold spell. 

How much cover Ben - at 310 feet in the south of St Albans we have a bit of sugar coating on the grass but I realise some of the city is closer to 400

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

How much cover Ben - at 310 feet in the south of St Albans we have a bit of sugar coating on the grass but I realise some of the city is closer to 400

I'm in North Harpenden this morning, at least a 1cm on cars and grass but the drip drip sound is in full swing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Cold morning but dry here. Off to Los Angeles with work shortly where highs of 25C are forecast, I'll take that gladly! Back on Wednesday when it'll be much milder here hopefully.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Nothing here but just saturated snowing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Thin covering of wet snow over roofs and lawns this morning - more than yesterday. Down to 0.1C overnight and now 0.5C (08.30).

As others have said, this has been a very frustrating spell of weather. We've been very close to a decent few days of snowy weather but as is often the case in the UK, were a fraction the wrong side of requirements. I suspect the North Sea surface temp being +1C above the long-term average for this time of year didn't help.

And to rub salt in, Matt Taylor on the beeb has just put up photos of the blizzard in Boston, USA, yesterday, and said they're due another half metre today.

• Like 2