SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

I spoke too soon temps and dps rising 

2.5 and 0.7 

:closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Still flaky here...snowing too:ninja:

I got the odd flake now:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

It's actually quite heavy pointless snow here

Been snowing quite heavily here too for a few hours now, some big flakes. Nice to see but pointless really as not settling.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

It's actually quite heavy pointless snow here

Not sticking?..

We've only got patchy cover now.

• Like 1

Posted

Woke up to a covering this morning, 1 cm max. Since then there has been constant snow, mainly very light, but with periods of higher intensity during the last couple of hours.

This has maintained the snow level on cars, roofs and grass with limited signs of any melt there. The roads and most of the pavement are pretty much clear. 

Looks as if there is more to come if DPs remain favourable. Obviously the elevation here helps!

MM

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Been snowing quite heavily here too for a few hours now, some big flakes. Nice to see but pointless really as not settling.

It's a shame.. Could have been a decent cover if everything else required was conducive.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mr Maunder said:

Woke up to a covering this morning, 1 cm max. Since then there has been constant snow, mainly very light, but with periods of higher intensity during the last couple of hours.

This has maintained the snow level on cars, roofs and grass with limited signs of any melt there. The roads and most of the pavement are pretty much clear. 

Looks as if there is more to come if DPs remain favourable. Obviously the elevation here helps!

MM

I'm close to you and would describe a very similar situation. I'm a bit perplexed as to why it's struggling so much to settle though. 850s at a solid -7/-8, still first half of February, not such a long sea track...

Is this perhaps to do with some rather less cold surface air from the continent mixed in and making things more marginal (from a settling point of view)?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

Been snowing heavy at Glynde at sussex for a couple of hours now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

Is there likely to be any chance of settling snow/sleet overnight this evening for us snow starved here in North Norfolk?

It was horrible watching the showers divert to my east and mainly West last night

Just our luck that when conditions are perfect we have no precipitation and when precipitation is good we are the wrong side of marginal.

All I want is enough to snow for my toddler to experience for the first time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Snowing heavily on the South coast.Not sticking

Posted
7 minutes ago, timboy666 said:

just looked at the radar more coming off north sea next wave!!

trouble is that coming in off the north sea according to meteoradar is turning to rain (but I could be wrong):hi:

also just noticed on the tweet forum that ian f has said that blocking could remain.

Edited by PLANET THANET

Posted

I think the mass approaching from the North Sea will turn to snow (especially inland) through the evening. It could be our last shot!

Posted
17 minutes ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

Is there likely to be any chance of settling snow/sleet overnight this evening for us snow starved here in North Norfolk?

It was horrible watching the showers divert to my east and mainly West last night

Just our luck that when conditions are perfect we have no precipitation and when precipitation is good we are the wrong side of marginal.

All I want is enough to snow for my toddler to experience for the first time.

I hope so, any dustings from the showers yesterday melted within seconds.. but if nothing comes off like further South i guess I can say i saw flakes unlike further east into Norfolk

edit: if the GFS is anything to go by..

589f167e757fe_ScreenShot2017-02-11at13_49_13.thumb.png.51f6e27bd39703f4cfcdf17a3d55cfee.png

7 day forecast has me for sleet or light snow showers until tomorrow afternoon when it turns to rain

Edited by Delka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow

Is that big wall of precip moving in off the north sea what will be supplying this evenings precip? Are conditions more conuducive to snow settling this evening do we think? :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

It's been snowing non stop all day here but not sticking .Nice to see snow falling never the less .

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Ben Blizzard said:

Is that big wall of precip moving in off the north sea what will be supplying this evenings precip? Are conditions more conuducive to snow settling this evening do we think? :)

Dew points touch and go in places.

image.thumb.png.8186756b6ebe6c8ac58a703cec4782f1.pngimage.thumb.png.2712b628c3693ea9cad3595027968eaa.png

• Like 3

Posted

Elevation making a huge difference today. Around 400ft asl and higher around Medway there's a good covering of about an inch or so. Get below 300ft and nothing really  

Edited by Daryl Dixon
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Reminds me of the very late Feb/early March easterly from about 10 years ago, snowed everywhere but although the hill tops were full of snow there was absolutely nothing lower down.

The North sea second wave blob seems to be taking a similar route to wave one, some of the models show this PPN as being somewhat heavier though.

Edited by snowray