Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Incessant drizzle atm and car thermometer says 1c.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Been looking at weather outlook snow map, I'm confused about where all their snow is coming from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Several CM of snow possible quite widely I sense more than what the Arome is currently portraying in places e.g. Kent a couple of inches for the hills potentially. 

IMG_1856.thumb.JPG.3d351f8f2032d0ff1ec6be8dd60b67b1.JPGIMG_1857.thumb.JPG.e3066f0445f1a4411f84954533bdc97f.JPG

BBC weather 'Yorkshire' did a Facebook live cast for the upcoming event on Saturday. Very underwhelming. Basically, although cold, there just isn't enough flow to either ''pep-up'' the showers or drive them enough inland to get any noticeable accumulations. The occlusion on Saturday is complex as there is ''less cold'' air behind it which will spread across England through the day. Low levels right across the country will have little chance of snow come lunchtime onwards on Saturday as temps could rise to 3-5C. Main focus of the Met office's attention is the *potential* for modest falls at elevation (200+m) over the Pennines, York and Staff Moors and hills to the NE and possibly the Lincs wolds. He stated there could be 2-5cm over 250m dusting below that. Not concerned for SE or Midlands. Wintry mix here with some wet snow to higher ground, but unlikely to settle. 

Edited by shetland islands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
25 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Been looking at weather outlook snow map, I'm confused about where all their snow is coming from.

There isn't any snow lol,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
12 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

There isn't any snow lol,

I know but I'm soooooo curious to know where their snow has come from

Posted
1 minute ago, DonnaThw said:

I know but I'm soooooo curious to know where their snow has come from

Snow making machine from Argos:unknw:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
56 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Not even cold here, misty with drizzle, can we knock calling this a cold spell on the head?

Pull your head out the oven, you might feel the cold then ;)

Feels cold to me tbh!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Pull your head out the oven, you might feel the cold then ;)

Feels cold to me tbh!

Felt much colder weather than this damp squib, really isn't that cold:oops:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, shetland islands said:

BBC weather 'Yorkshire' did a Facebook live cast for the upcoming event on Saturday. Very underwhelming. Basically, although cold, there just isn't enough flow to either ''pep-up'' the showers or drive them enough inland to get any noticeable accumulations. The occlusion on Saturday is complex as there is ''less cold'' air behind it which will spread across England through the day. Low levels right across the country will have little chance of snow come lunchtime onwards on Saturday as temps could rise to 3-5C. Main focus of the Met office's attention is the *potential* for modest falls at elevation (200+m) over the Pennines, York and Staff Moors and hills to the NE and possibly the Lincs wolds. He stated there could be 2-5cm over 250m dusting below that. Not concerned for SE or Midlands. Wintry mix here with some wet snow to higher ground, but unlikely to settle. 

That Paul Hudson chap presumably? I disagree with their assessment.

Tonight Leeds has seen a light covering in far less better circumstances. He is known to downplay anything with snow. What's highlighted is definitely not true, it looks optimum for snowfall later on Friday through most of Saturday well that takes us to 1200 at least. Certainly not powder snow but all the same if it reaches 5C on Saturday I would be absolutely lost for words, time to find a new hobby! The fax shows no such occlusion. The less cold air is certainly still cold between -7C to -8C at 850hpa from -10C which briefly makes an appearance in the early hours - with a NE flow veering east through the day - the dew points are good throughout. I'm quite dumbfounded, why marginality is even a thing for Saturday.

In 'yesteryear' this wasn't a thing

I still feel some folk in here will be surprised. Ian F tweeted about the SE...

Welcome Donna to the SE thread/forum :) 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters
11 hours ago, Rob Deacon said:

Ha yeah it is a bit mad isn't it :)

Haywards Heath to Nordkapp and back, crossing Dover to Calais is only part i'm not driving. Last time I did this route it worked out 5000 miles round trip (done in 10 nights!)

but as i'm taking my Mrs and 3 kids this time I thought I would make it a bit more relaxing and do it in 20 nights, plus the kids will be flying back with the Mrs from Norway so not to miss out on as much school time. One things for sure we will see some snow! and have some cool memories hopefully. 

With x3 kids I would suggest iPads or DVD machines, last thing you will want is the age old 'are we there yet' continuously sounding off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter. Hot hot summers

Two showers in the early hours one at 2.30 am and one at 6.00am both was rain !! Temp 1.2c dp 1.1c. Dp's too high for for snow :diablo:

0.5 mm of rain so if it was snow would of been a nice dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

On the radar it's been snowing all along the east until it gets to Norfolk where it suddenly stops. Typical.

Is this due to shift southwards for tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Rain/drizzle here. Feels raw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Boring weather, cold, misty, drizzle...still 2C here. Yawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
6 hours ago, Daniel* said:

That Paul Hudson chap presumably? I disagree with their assessment.

Tonight Leeds has seen a light covering in far less better circumstances. He is known to downplay anything with snow. What's highlighted is definitely not true, it looks optimum for snowfall later on Friday through most of Saturday well that takes us to 1200 at least. Certainly not powder snow but all the same if it reaches 5C on Saturday I would be absolutely lost for words, time to find a new hobby! The fax shows no such occlusion. The less cold air is certainly still cold between -7C to -8C at 850hpa from -10C which briefly makes an appearance in the early hours - with a NE flow veering east through the day - the dew points are good throughout. I'm quite dumbfounded, why marginality is even a thing for Saturday.

In 'yesteryear' this wasn't a thing

I still feel some folk in here will be surprised. Ian F tweeted about the SE...

Welcome Donna to the SE thread/forum :) 

I agree with you Daniel. The models have been consistently showing for a couple of days that our best chance of seeing some snow falling and settling would be Friday evening through to Saturday morning. And this morning the Beeb/Met Office finally are showing some graphics that agree with the model output I'm looking at - a band of snow moves in late Friday evening and progresses west across the Region. It's not going to be anything like the amount of snow many of us would like, but if I wake up to a dusting of 1 to 3 cms tomorrow it will put a smile on my face! :)

With regard temps for Saturday afternoon/evening, Arpege doesn't see the milder air moving in until late evening, raising temps to 4C right on the east coast, whilst the Beeb/Met Office show 5C widely for the afternoon. We'll wait with interest to see which is correct on this one!

So here's a comparison between what Arpege says for Fri evening 22.00, Sat 00.00 and Sat 04.00 and the Beeb/Met Office graphics - near enough identical?

589d71b9dccaa_ArpegePrecipFri10Feb22_00.thumb.png.9195546df983c24014a62ea4b2a1a7f6.png589d71ca84794_ArpegePrecipSat11Feb00_00.thumb.png.8c77eb2b64750c1c72e7f2cdfdd640e7.png589d71ddcf862_ArpegePrecipSat11Feb04_00.thumb.png.e7ef9e37f040d194b7cb97a138323ed1.png

589d71f3d75c0_BeebFri22_00.thumb.jpg.1741a727c265e504c5cc582c7a322d2f.jpg589d71ff39f9b_BeebSat00_00.thumb.jpg.37413ce17c055adc81bc422083f24b2b.jpg589d720ab291c_BeebSat04_00.thumb.jpg.debd322d40579930f64b3e9999d60ee7.jpg

Dew Points are marginal Friday evening, but the whole Region is below 0C by midnight - so favourable conditions overnight. Happy snow hunting!

589d732a696aa_ArpegeDPFri10Feb22_00.thumb.png.27914f25ef384f380eda78526a1b636f.png589d733e5ec5a_ArpegeDPSat11Feb00_00.thumb.png.0bcc05b68956a4c4bbb8e71995bfc8f1.png589d734ae41e3_ArpegeDPSat11Feb04_00.thumb.png.ef29ef44375aad37c63a146b7b54d1fc.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

The great beast from the east feb 2017 that never was deary me!!!!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

Just had a very light shower, but it was definitely snow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Raining in Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill :(

Posted

The precip above Norfolk right now is going west/southwest and building on the bottom. Could bring some people quite a nice dusting of snow across North and Western regions at the least. More to come that people weren't expecting until this evening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Been raining here in Harpenden, Herts and this town has good height. 

Dull grey and damp... You would never think this is an easterly in Feb. 

• Like 1