Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Will be one of the most rewarding things with me personal and will be looking to set up my own company when fully qualified. 

Using a chainsaw is probably up there with the top 3 most dangerous engine powered hand tools. My chain saw is 62cc which is quite large you wouldn't use this when climbing. 

The 2 things that will kill a tree surgeon is falling upside down while roped in the tree. Not to mention if you fall upside down with your chainsaw in motion. (your chain break may kick in) so you can't legally cut down a tree or do any work unless you both have aerial rescue training which I think is around CS30-40ish. 

The top one though is kickback. Which occurs when the tip or just above/below is pinched by either a log you are cutting or a knot etc. This is a change in momentum. So if you are cutting down the chain is being pulled towards you so the momentum of the saw goes directly up and away (through you). 

If you are cutting up the chain is being pushed away from you. So the kickbsck goes down and through you. 

Most commonly a tree surgeon on a standard fell and remove of a medium tree will experience kickback all day most are minor jerks or pulling forward of the chainsaw. But each day you expect 2 major kickbacks where the saw is basically thrown at you. 

All chainsaws now have break bars which is meant to automatically kick down and stop the chain from moving. 

I'm still learning so i think I got that all right lol! 

Anyway back on the weather and it's well, grey... 

I find it really interesting, think its a great outdoors job that would keep you very fit too. Got a cousin who's a lumberjack, he said to me not to bother trying to use my dads chain saws  since I most likely will end up chopping a leg off. He could have offered to show me how to use one safely though, bit ignorant. I have to admit that my dad agreed with him though.

Posted

Don't give up on this cold spell yet, we might just see a few wintery surprises are in store for us in the next couple days..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

12z out. Unfortunately that hole in Saturdays PPN just wants to get bigger over the SE.:( Was thinking best place might be up towards Buxton, might go for a drive up that way.

39-574UK.GIF

45-574UK.GIF

51-574UK.GIF

57-574UK.GIF

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Light snow on and off all day, nothing of any note but I guess it is nicer than cloudy and dry, well just about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
10 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

Dull,Dull,Dull.What a horrible day.Just seen a shower on the radar in the North sea,who will get it,maybe the start of a streamer or maybe not.

what a waste of an easterly.  we wait all winter to finally get one and when we do, it gives us nothing but cold and grey.  I'm sure easterlies always used to be a certain guarantee of intense cold and snowy weather or it seemed to be.  Our weather is falling apart these days.  We can't even get decent summers either, just constant Autumn.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
1 hour ago, John Hodgson said:

Heavier you can get the precip the more likely it will be snow I guess. Once again our snow is being very marginal. One day we will see a proper easterly again. 

I sincerely hope so.  The easterlies we have got, albeit rare, these past few years have been awful with hardly any snow attached to them.  Wish we could see another February 1991. now that was an easterly blizzard to remember.  We get absolute dross these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

My weather app gone of on one 12hrs of snow Friday night sat morning. Believe it when see it lol.

Screenshot_20170209-161109.png

Screenshot_20170209-161119.png

Posted
9 minutes ago, titchjuicy said:

You may want to edit your typo

Cheers just noticed that.

Posted

Guys don't get annoyed yet, it's Day 1 and as we've seen it has been pretty hard to pinpoint what's going to happen and where, so the forecast will constantly change and get tweaked until last minute. Like i said earlier, be prepared for disappointment but at the same time don't get sad yet because anything could happen(within reason)! I will only allow ya'll to get annoyed at this easterly at the end of Saturday when everyones main risk of snow is over with

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, snow freak said:

what a waste of an easterly.  we wait all winter to finally get one and when we do, it gives us nothing but cold and grey.  I'm sure easterlies always used to be a certain guarantee of intense cold and snowy weather or it seemed to be.  Our weather is falling apart these days.  We can't even get decent summers either, just constant Autumn.

Frustrating, but in my 30+ years of keen weather watching we have had quite a few easterly flows with nothing more than a few spits of snizzle in the wind. My main issue is the endless gloom, at least with the earlier cold spells there was a lot of crisp sunshine which was lovely!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters
2 hours ago, Rob Deacon said:

It's a shame we don't seem to be able to get any snow anymore in the south, especially while parts of Europe seem to have done well this year.

I've just booked up my ferry crossing and will be setting off to drive to Norway next week with my caravan, first time i'm taking the kids with me so we can all get our snow fix :) 

Now thats one hell of a drive, no more ferries to Norway or Denmark, furthest North is Hull to Rotterdam. A couple of years ago I drove up to Esbjerg, Denmark and had to do it in 2 goes - Eurotunnel then stoped in Nijmagen over night and then up to Denmark - was in my R32 so had fun on some of the roads.......but pulling a caravan - thats extreme.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Drizzle/Light Rain all afternoon. Temp 1.4c falling slowly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Drizzle here in central London 

Posted

temperatures dropping back down to 1.2c, windchill also getting slightly worse feeling pretty bitter out there, dewpoint -1.8c.. with the temp and dewpoint any precipitation to come through now is definitely not going to be just a spot of drizzle like further south 

edit: just got the back edge of one of the heavier of the showers heading through and theres some 0.5cm small flakes amongst the nearly invisible bits.. hopefully this is just a taster of whats forecast from 8pm later

Edited by Delka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..
34 minutes ago, Hanny said:

Now thats one hell of a drive, no more ferries to Norway or Denmark, furthest North is Hull to Rotterdam. A couple of years ago I drove up to Esbjerg, Denmark and had to do it in 2 goes - Eurotunnel then stoped in Nijmagen over night and then up to Denmark - was in my R32 so had fun on some of the roads.......but pulling a caravan - thats extreme.

Ha yeah it is a bit mad isn't it :)

Haywards Heath to Nordkapp and back, crossing Dover to Calais is only part i'm not driving. Last time I did this route it worked out 5000 miles round trip (done in 10 nights!)

but as i'm taking my Mrs and 3 kids this time I thought I would make it a bit more relaxing and do it in 20 nights, plus the kids will be flying back with the Mrs from Norway so not to miss out on as much school time. One things for sure we will see some snow! and have some cool memories hopefully. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

Haven't even got drizzle here.

I know its just been terrible, Its just spitting here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Wow,what a fantastic cold spell,reading people's comments about snizzle,awful winter yet again,worse than previous in my eyes,as with previous,we knew it was gonna be crap,this 1 has promised,and failed many times,what is happening to our winters,even parts,of the med have had a good snowfall,absolute joke

• Like 1

Posted

Nice trough feature for Saturday hmmm spanning England. Should pep up the showers & increase the chance of more general precipitation...

image.thumb.gif.474c4b34c4562d82638b997aa04a6b12.gif