Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted

morning all, sleety stuff on and off for a cpl of hours today, but i am surprised that there is very little in the way of wind, its so still, grey and chilly so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Yes Laura (over dramatic) Tobin, on Good morning Britain was banging on about wind chill.

Not a breath of wind out there!!! 

Just feels chilly to me, not bitter - not freezing. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

Yes Laura (over dramatic) Tobin, on Good morning Britain was banging on about wind chill.

Not a breath of wind out there!!! 

Just feels chilly to me, not bitter - not freezing. 

temp here is 1.1c with a dew point of -0.5c but as you say its so still, no windchill at all, just grey, sleety at times and chilly

Posted

There is a slight windchill here on the coast but only when you head down to the seafront which is expected from something like this. Dew point -0.5c temp at 1.5c, I would say feels more like -1c, nothing compared to the windchill of -6c in my forecast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

My local Met Office station observations showing a snowflake symbol since 06.00 and 0.5C at 08.00. And it certainly has been very light snizzle on and off this morning - my back garden temp currently 1.3C.

This morning's high res model output is showing the current very light precipitation (which doesn't really cut the mustard), but more optimistically continue to show some slightly heavier snowfall for Friday evening into early Saturday. All output also showing favourable 850 uppers, dew point and 2m temps for this period. But from later Saturday morning the 2m and DP temps increase a couple of degrees and models show precip turning to sleet or rain, esp near coasts. Here's a few charts to compare different model forecasts. First for Friday 23.00 - Arpege, NMM and Hirlam:

589c398713dc8_Arpege0z09FebPrecipforFri10Feb23_00.thumb.png.8139547d49a4bbe4ccc4654169a77e82.png 589c39976dd24_NMM0z09FebPrecipforFri10Feb23_00.thumb.png.397b0d76f09a154f86ece2e0ec8f5425.png589c39bdf2fca_Hirlam0z09FebPrecipforFri10Feb23_00.thumb.png.a3fb3fe0623eff9e6be63924239ba9a3.png

Then Saturday morning at 10.00 - Arpege and NMM (no Hirlam as it doesn't go out far enough):

589c3af89c6e6_Arpege0z09FebPrecipforSat11Feb10_00.thumb.png.d3e9ee86aabc39b02e89bd1dff8f9da0.png589c3b07ea182_NMM0z09FebPrecipforSat11Feb10_00.thumb.png.dd492897e4e7a5a0591fd0214b9ff552.png

And finally, the graphic for Saturday shown on the Beeb by Carol this morning as she mentioned "some more organised snow" but didn't give any detail. You pays your money......

20170209_082130_resized.thumb.jpg.09abd1d21e9d1d44c696f183aab5837b.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

My local Met Office station observations showing a snowflake symbol since 06.00 and 0.5C at 08.00. And it certainly has been very light snizzle on and off this morning - my back garden temp currently 1.3C.

This morning's high res model output is showing the current very light precipitation (which doesn't really cut the mustard), but more optimistically continue to show some slightly heavier snowfall for Friday evening into early Saturday. All output also showing favourable 850 uppers, dew point and 2m temps for this period. But from later Saturday morning the 2m and DP temps increase a couple of degrees and models show precip turning to sleet or rain, esp near coasts. Here's a few charts to compare different model forecasts. First for Friday 23.00 - Arpege, NMM and Hirlam:

589c398713dc8_Arpege0z09FebPrecipforFri10Feb23_00.thumb.png.8139547d49a4bbe4ccc4654169a77e82.png 589c39976dd24_NMM0z09FebPrecipforFri10Feb23_00.thumb.png.397b0d76f09a154f86ece2e0ec8f5425.png589c39bdf2fca_Hirlam0z09FebPrecipforFri10Feb23_00.thumb.png.a3fb3fe0623eff9e6be63924239ba9a3.png

Then Saturday morning at 10.00 - Arpege and NMM (no Hirlam as it doesn't go out far enough):

589c3af89c6e6_Arpege0z09FebPrecipforSat11Feb10_00.thumb.png.d3e9ee86aabc39b02e89bd1dff8f9da0.png589c3b07ea182_NMM0z09FebPrecipforSat11Feb10_00.thumb.png.dd492897e4e7a5a0591fd0214b9ff552.png

And finally, the graphic for Saturday shown on the Beeb by Carol this morning as she mentioned "some more organised snow" but didn't give any detail. You pays your money......

20170209_082130_resized.thumb.jpg.09abd1d21e9d1d44c696f183aab5837b.jpg

Any snow here is going to be marginal with the dp's expected, I don't think anyone should expect to wake up to a covering, just hope to be pleasantly surprised

For me I think my biggest chance is any flurries anytime from now onwards to Friday afternoon for a dusting. At the moment the car and grass have slush left on them

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Top of the morning to you all., Chilly here in Seaford temp 2C. Thats 36F. in old money, jolly overcast and grey with a very light Northerly wind.

Time to throw another log or two on the fire, and reach for the brandy. Have a super day folks, hopefully we will see some sunshine by the weekend.

Sunset today 5.19. Only 13 Days till the met office Spring. The very best of health to you all.

• Like 1

Posted

In Woking holding at 1c - extremely chilly though not as bad as a couple of weeks ago.

Heard from a couple of colleagues reports of snow in Hampshire from a shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
28 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

We have very fine & light snow here, which is only visible when wearing my glasses. No need to wax the sledge just yet, unfortunately! 

This post made me chuckle :D

"only visible when wearing glasses" 

lol... proof right their how ridiculous this easterly is! Only in the UK 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

What utterly dreadful soul destroying weather...so this is what we have been following for the last week on the model forum, dullness and some snizzle (amounting to nothing) and going by the models it looks like surface cold will reign for the next week!

This winter has been in general one big let down, largely non-Atlantic based - January a briefing glimpse of the white stuff and some frosts and there have certainly been worse ones but is this all we can muster?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

What a wonderful Easterly this is. Dull as anything with some snizzle. Lovely!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

What does it take to get some snow in a winter month in the SE these days I wonder, it can snow in March, or April, or November on an easterly, but here we are in early February with snizzle, drizzle, or nothing at all, just grey, its pathetic.:angry:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The High Res models show scattered light (mostly snizzle) continuing throughout today, something more of interest comes tomorrow night though with the model picking up a more organsied spell of snow.

viewimage.thumb.png.e2b4177ec92262771f5ba18210a7ce87.png

Again still mostly light but could give a dusting to some lucky areas?

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The High Res models show scattered light (mostly snizzle) continuing throughout today, something more of interest comes tomorrow night though with the model picking up a more organsied spell of snow.

viewimage.thumb.png.e2b4177ec92262771f5ba18210a7ce87.png

Again still mostly light but could give a dusting to some lucky areas?

I woke up to a dusting already this morning :) Feel like so far I've had just about the best out of this in the region.. occasional flake keeps appearing outside, but nothing special to be honest. Hoping maybe tomorrow will produce more for everyone and laugh at everyone complaining about just snizzle!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mishy said:

Just had some sleety stuff falling here in Dunstable. All but stopped now though.

that means the radar isn't showing it all like i thought, i was wondering why i could see flakes with nothing on the radar! :nonono:

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

The BBC are going for milder weather next week.

I'm not sure what to expect at this point, some people are telling me its going to stay with maxima of 2-5c and some are saying 10-14c! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

What utterly dreadful soul destroying weather...so this is what we have been following for the last week on the model forum, dullness and some snizzle (amounting to nothing) and going by the models it looks like surface cold will reign for the next week!

This winter has been in general one big let down, largely non-Atlantic based - January a briefing glimpse of the white stuff and some frosts and there have certainly been worse ones but is this all we can muster?

I agree, this winter has had some many failed opportunities and I was hoping this easterly would finally bring the goods, but it is materialising into nothing but grey and cold, hardly the snow laden easterlies in past decades.  I think our winters now are more or less non starters when it comes to snow.  Give it a few more years and snow will be such a rarity in the British Isles....even more so than now.  Very sad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Delka said:

I'm not sure what to expect at this point, some people are telling me its going to stay with maxima of 2-5c and some are saying 10-14c! 

I'm not sure what to believe either, maybe half way between the two, 8c

• Like 2