Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted

Morning All. Wet and grey here, but less about my hair and more about the weather... :)

Observations

Observed at 07:00, Wednesday 1 February

Thick Cloud

11°C 52°F

Wind Speed 16 km/h 10 mph South South Easterly

Humidity: 97%

Visibility: Moderate

Pressure: 1008mb, Falling

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A joyously grey morning here, pishing it down, yawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Montreal work trip cut short by 8 days, so landed yesterday after a week out there. 

Slight jet lag but nothing major, thank god I had my snow fix, fantastic snow day last week and deep snow cover away from downtown, it snowed pretty much everyday bar 2. I'll post pics when on laptop

-12c by day to +7c this morning ... feels tropical! 

The usual UK dross this morning, I hear it's been raining non stop for nearly 2 days from neighbour - to think people used the word 'drought' before I went away! 

I see London had an ice day last week? Fantastic and wish I was hear to witness it, although try having -12c with a windchill of -18c blasting your cheeks at midday = that's proper cold.

So more boring wet weather to come over the next few days with winds picking up... Yawn Zzzzzz

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Top of the morning to you all, a damp start here in Seaford Overcast with a steady light rain. Temps 9C. Thats 48F In old money. Its still very calm here, looking forward to the Atlantic Storm forecast for Friday. Only 28 Days to go to the Met office Spring, thats a nice feeling. Sunset today 4.53. Nudging very near to that magic 5.00. Have a nice day everyone. The very best of health to you all.

Posted
On 1/29/2017 at 23:19, Norfolk_N_chance said:

I heard these good ol' Norfolk sayings mentioned today, winter will arrive soon! 

1. There's always cold and snow when the mart arrives (travelling fair at King's Lynn normally around valentines)

2. As the days get longer the cold gets stronger.

Here's hoping that Feb delivers for this region! 

Love these. I bought book on weather lore recently, haven't had time to read it yet but it looks interesting.

Possible cold mid to late Feb has been mentioned for some time - it does give us notice allotment holders a headache though. No idea what happens if the ground freezes after your parsnips are planted! 

I see a yellow warning is extended to all of the S/E for wind on Friday.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Love these. I bought book on weather lore recently, haven't had time to read it yet but it looks interesting.

Possible cold mid to late Feb has been mentioned for some time - it does give us notice allotment holders a headache though. No idea what happens if the ground freezes after your parsnips are planted! 

I see a yellow warning is extended to all of the S/E for wind on Friday.

I prefer my frozen parsnips from Aunt Bessie's :)

image_Aunt_Bessies_Honey_Glazed_Roast_Parsnips_600g.png

Edited by MAF

Posted
9 minutes ago, MAF said:

I prefer my frozen parsnips from Aunt Bessie's :)

image_Aunt_Bessies_Honey_Glazed_Roast_Parsnips_600g.png

Problem solved, if they freeze, I'll just pass them off as Auntie Bessies!:D

And February hope and fears, allotmenteers? I've ordered loads of stuff - but I'm wondering if the ground will be too cold to plant my potatoes (which are happily chitting in my office!!) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Anyone writing off this winter might want to have a look at the GFS 6z. Stonking run for us, though usual caveats apply, all for fun etc.etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
43 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

And February hope and fears, allotmenteers? I've ordered loads of stuff - but I'm wondering if the ground will be too cold to plant my potatoes (which are happily chitting in my office!!) 

It's always so tempting to attempt early plantings but more often than not, they don't come to much. Potatoes shouldn't go in before mid March unless under cover. The only things I'll be sowing before then are peppers in a propagator. Wouldn't mind a few weeks of cold and snow, would kill off some pests, especially slugs. What spuds are you growing this year? My allotment shed is full of them, they arrived last week...

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
58 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

There is a model run that has -16 uppers over the south east, that should freeze them lol

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

Montreal work trip cut short by 8 days, so landed yesterday after a week out there. 

Slight jet lag but nothing major, thank god I had my snow fix, fantastic snow day last week and deep snow cover away from downtown, it snowed pretty much everyday bar 2. I'll post pics when on laptop

-12c by day to +7c this morning ... feels tropical! 

The usual UK dross this morning, I hear it's been raining non stop for nearly 2 days from neighbour - to think people used the word 'drought' before I went away! 

I see London had an ice day last week? Fantastic and wish I was hear to witness it, although try having -12c with a windchill of -18c blasting your cheeks at midday = that's proper cold.

So more boring wet weather to come over the next few days with winds picking up... Yawn Zzzzzz

My partner flew back from a week long business trip to Montreal on Friday of last week.  He was delayed slightly because of the snow but said it was quite incredible how the snow got so deep so fast!  He was super impressed with how the airport handled it though :)  Look forward to seeing your pictures later :)

Posted

Very strange weather currently outside, I don't believe I have ever seen this before.

Looks foggy but isn't, its because of the things in the air which aren't snow, aren't hail, aren't rain but are white and are dusting the roof.Not sleet or freezing rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Yet another depressing day.

Total pits weather, it must change soon, hopefully back to cold and sunny.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Yet another depressing day.

Total pits weather, it must change soon, hopefully back to cold and sunny.

Clearance coming over here now with a few chinks of blue sky visible. Thoroughly miserable up until now though, hopefully some cold sunny high pressure soon or some snow 

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

It looks certain that we might for sure get a beast from the east maybe with plenty of snow maybe

It'll be absolutely nailed, when it happens, if it happens, after being confirmed.:)

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

It looks certain that we might for sure get a beast from the east maybe with plenty of snow maybe

Haha you know we're going to get 5C and drizzle when 'it's nailed on', 'certain' and ''buried' appear in the mod thread...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
32 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Haha you know we're going to get 5C and drizzle when 'it's nailed on', 'certain' and ''buried' appear in the mod thread...

lol i'm thinking that too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

We had a few bright intervals here in Seaford just an hour or so before sunset, lovely and mild. Should be a frost free night. Would love to see some sunshine tomorrow Have not left the house for two days, do not like the grey skies, have to keep topping up the brandy. Have a nice evening everyone.The very best of health to you all.

Posted

Beautiful mild afternoon with some blue sky. And they tell me SW winds mean grey and rain all the time. Wasn't Dec 2014 both very Atlantic and sunny?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
18 minutes ago, March said:

Beautiful mild afternoon with some blue sky. And they tell me SW winds mean grey and rain all the time. Wasn't Dec 2014 both very Atlantic and sunny?

December 2014 was predominately westerly with alternating mild/cooler slots but it was fairly sunny as was the entire winter overall given we had frequent polar maritime airmasses.

Today was better I guess, though sunshine will remain a rarity for the next few days as fronts struggle to move east across the UK. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Been foggy looking all day, but it's that wet mist, with a few heavier bit's mixed in now and then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

So glad I escaped the damp grey murk of the Uk yesterday, and now enjoying the warm sunshine ( 19c ) here in Alcudia, Mallorca.:D