Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Still very cold here. Temp hasn't gone above freezing the entire day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Agreed fs, am really fed up with looking at charts now and seeing this ever omnipotent Euro slug and the PV going over the top, its actually quite nauseating. Anyway after mid February I personally start to lose interest in looking for snow events, the sun is much stronger by the third week of what is a short month, and it is a short month don't care what anyone has to say. Yes it can snow in March and April, blah, blah...But Winter proper is coming to an end when you see them crocuses and daffs coming up.

If a freeze like we have now was say followed by some snow before mid February and some sort of Northern blocking turned up, this could create a memorable spell of Winters weather right through into early March as if it was still mid Winter. Although I think that we would have to go back to the 60's to find the last time we had one of these long lasting February cold and snowy spells of weather. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, snowray said:

Agreed fs, am really fed up with looking at charts now and seeing this ever omnipotent Euro slug and the PV going over the top, its actually quite nauseating. Anyway after mid February I personally start to lose interest in looking for snow events, the sun is much stronger by the third week of what is a short month, and it is a short month don't care what anyone has to say. Yes it can snow in March and April, blah, blah...But Winter proper is coming to an end when you see them crocuses and daffs coming up.

If a freeze like we have now was say followed by some snow before mid February and some sort of Northern blocking turned up, this could create a memorable spell of Winters weather right through into early March as if it was still mid Winter. Although I think that we would have to go back to the 60's to find the last time we had one of these long lasting February cold and snowy spells of weather. 

Agreed.I love snow but don't like the cold if that makes sense.Had enough of chasing lost causes over the past couple of months.

Won't go near the Model forum again this year as had enough of being let down far to often.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Been around -2 all day here... The Sun has just come out and currently -1.7c    

First ice day for 4 years....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

Agreed.I love snow but don't like the cold if that makes sense.Had enough of chasing lost causes over the past couple of months.

Won't go near the Model forum again this year as had enough of being let down far to often.

Yes I have had as much as I can take with letdowns this Winter thanks very much, and cold with no snow just means one thing to me, high heating bills. 

Anyway, all of the models now show the last of the very cold upper air that has been just to the East and South of our shores virtually all Winter, in fact since approximately mid Autumn to be finally moving way, way out East so even if some nice charts do get to the reliable there simply won't be any cold air around to latch onto. Greece though seems to want to stay cold as we go into Feb! 

March could in fact turn out to be a nice start to spring this year if hp hangs around long enough bringing up mild air from the South, but I bet that start to see Northern blocking in March and April this year.

ECM0-240.GIF

gfs-1-312.png

• Like 2

Very close to being an ice day here, temps just holding above zero.

I see the gfs was over egging the wind on Sunday, now just a windy day. I hope this next spell of weather has some interest or possible warnings from met office, but if

not we need some rain anyway.

Posted

Not quite an ice day here. Peaked at 0.8C at 14:42 but on the way down again - currently 0.4C

Posted

Warmest today was a rather chilly -0.3c, thats the first ice day i can remember in god knows how many years! This cold spell has definitely been noteworthy to me, and i'll probably remember it and hope for more January's similar to this one in the future!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Delka said:

Warmest today was a rather chilly -0.3c, thats the first ice day i can remember in god knows how many years! This cold spell has definitely been noteworthy to me, and i'll probably remember it and hope for more January's similar to this one in the future!

It will be forgotten in a flash due to no snow,that is all people rember,not just a cold day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Jolly cold again today maximum only -0.5C. In Seaford. Hopefully things will start to warm up this weekend. Only 33 days to the Met Office Spring.

Lets have some sunshine. Good Health to you all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

0.7c  here today. I hope everyone in the SE enjoyed winter 2016/2017, it's  over from the weekend, even an SSW can't save this one.  Looking forward to spring snow though.:good:

• Like 4

Posted

it's -2c out there at the moment. Hasn't been above freezing all day. 

A yellow warning for ice is in place from 4am tomorrow with a 'trivial' amount of rain or snow falling on ice cold surfaces. 

Temp -1.2c here now.

Just counted 17 frosts for this month, 18 tomorrow.

Next period of weather maybe quite boring unless we get some proper downpours or decent wind gusts. Shame about the Nacreous clouds last couple of days, too much cloud cover...

Edited by mickeyb44
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Hightest today was -1.5c   , currently -2c  

Have got frost on cars this evening so must be more moisture around than yesterday evening..

Have a feeling that's it for a while for us southeasterners..shame really as its been bitter this week but without the powder..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Very, very bitter out there:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
17 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Very, very bitter out there:cold:

It certainly is, first ice day of winter for me and I enjoyed working out in it. Strange that we get the coldest day of winter from a south easterly. 

Posted

Really horrible ECM this evening. 2nd Feb chart there, much milder air covering the whole of Europe from Iberia to Russia, even Greece has warmed up on this run!:lazy:

ECM0-168.GIF

Posted

A truly raw day out there today, the coldest by far for many a year. It's days like today which make me wish I didn't work outside! 

Even though spring is still a fair way off i'm ready for it now and am ready to say goodbye to winter 16/17. Cold & Grey just doesn't float my boat and it's snow that we are all really after in the end, and as with the last few years that has been lacking bar a little bit of slush the other week.

Roll on the the spring warmth and long summer days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

wow what a cold day, saw a snow grain on the school run this morning, temp maxed at 0.1 18:00 so not quite an ice day, although I don't think that would melt anything.