Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted

Morning All. Another frosty start in SE London when i left home at 0630. St James' Park had slight frost when i walked through to work.

i considered wtching the News24 weather reports this morning, but saw it was Jay "nothing ever overwhelms me" Wynne presenting, so didnt dother :)

Observations

Observed at 07:00, Thursday 19 January

-1°C 30°F

Wind Speed 5 km/h 3 mph Northerly

Humidity: 89%

Visibility: Moderate

Pressure: 1038mb, Falling

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
9 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I wish I had kept a record of the number of frosts here this winter. At a guess it must be one of the highest totals for many years.

So yet another very frosty morning here after an overnight min of -4.4C. Carol's leader board has Farnborough at the top this morning with -5C.

The dry, frosty weather sees the continuation of the drought for most in our Region though, despite the wet day last week. This from the Met Office yesterday:

Rainfall Anom 1st to 15th Jan 2017 tweet.jpg

Malcolm, looks like you lot in the Southeast and Southern England are having a very different winter to those north of Birmingham, regarding the number of frosts so far. Looking at the temp profile for parts of northern England , stayed at around 7c day and night for about 4 /5 days now. Some welcome chill up north would be appreciated. Maybe you southerner will send some up north. Still cold here Austria, -6c in village , that's 22 days with temps staying below freezing day and night. Could do with some more snow though as its been dry month really in our part of the Alps.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

The talk of Drought just seems bizarre. I'm not doubting those statistics but have any of you been out walking in the fields/nature trails the past couple of weeks

Its soaked, muddy and boggy - A million miles from what I would call a drought.. But hey ho.. If that's what the stats say I cant argue. Its just I see no visual evidence of it.

Luckily the dog walk has been dry over the past couple days as the frost has frozen the wet and mud solid.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

The talk of Drought just seems bizarre. I'm not doubting those statistics but have any of you been out walking in the fields/nature trails the past couple of weeks

Its soaked, muddy and boggy - A million miles from what I would call a drought.. But hey ho.. If that's what the stats say I cant argue. Its just I see no visual evidence of it.

Luckily the dog walk has been dry over the past couple days as the frost has frozen the wet and mud solid.

From the Met Office web site http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/drought

Drought

The basic cause of all droughts is insufficient rainfall. Often this is prolonged over a period of several months or even years.

Short-term droughts, such as those experienced in the UK, can also be caused when high pressure systems persist over, or close to, the UK for a prolonged period.

This weather pattern blocks the usual passage of low pressure systems that bring bands of rain and showers, especially to western parts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

I wish I had kept a record of the number of frosts here this winter. At a guess it must be one of the highest totals for many years.

So yet another very frosty morning here after an overnight min of -4.4C. Carol's leader board has Farnborough at the top this morning with -5C.

The dry, frosty weather sees the continuation of the drought for most in our Region though, despite the wet day last week. This from the Met Office yesterday:

Rainfall Anom 1st to 15th Jan 2017 tweet.jpg

I can see west London is at normal levels of rainfall, the weekend just gone where it rained for 48 hours constantly will have ensured that :closedeyes:

I suppose that the word drought is all relative; a drought in California or Australia would have different meanings/effects to one here. 

Another beautiful chilly winters day after another frost. Great stuff! This winter really has been so different to recent years, a very pleasant change.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

I can see west London is at normal levels of rainfall, the weekend just gone where it rained for 48 hours constantly will have ensured that :closedeyes:

I suppose that the word drought is all relative; a drought in California or Australia would have different meanings/effects to one here. 

Another beautiful chilly winters day after another frost. Great stuff! This winter really has been so different to recent years, a very pleasant change.

Yes, that wet spell basically put London and the SE corner of Kent at "normal" levels of rainfall for the first 15 days of January. But with the models suggesting our Region won't see any rainfall over the coming 7 days, it points to the final figure for January 2017 likely coming in below normal levels right across the Region.

This dry winter may cause problems later in the summer - especially if it's a dry summer - as the water tables in our Region currently aren't getting the top-up that a normal winter provides. The water companies in our Region are very reliant on drawing water from groundwater supplies - as shown in the chart below. For example, you'll see that of the total supply from Southern Water, 72% comes from such sources. In comparison, the equivalent figures for Wales and Scotland are 4% and 3%.

Groundwater usage (Source: UK Groundwater Forum) Groundwater Usage.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Yes, that wet spell basically put London and the SE corner of Kent at "normal" levels of rainfall for the first 15 days of January. But with the models suggesting our Region won't see any rainfall over the coming 7 days, it points to the final figure for January 2017 likely coming in below normal levels right across the Region.

This dry winter may cause problems later in the summer - especially if it's a dry summer - as the water tables in our Region currently aren't getting the top-up that a normal winter provides. The water companies in our Region are very reliant on drawing water from groundwater supplies - as shown in the chart below. For example, you'll see that of the total supply from Southern Water, 72% comes from such sources. In comparison, the equivalent figures for Wales and Scotland are 4% and 3%.

Groundwater usage (Source: UK Groundwater Forum) Groundwater Usage.jpg

Would be interesting to see how high (or low) groundwater levels are for our part of the world. Like you say, they must be low after this dry winter so far, not forgetting the dry late summer and autumn. Maybe it's time the UK starting building a water network piping fresh water from wetter areas to drier areas? Though with this Brexit madness, doubt there'll be any money for anything like that for decades. Salination plants would work too but again, expensive.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Would be interesting to see how high (or low) groundwater levels are for our part of the world. Like you say, they must be low after this dry winter so far, not forgetting the dry late summer and autumn. Maybe it's time the UK starting building a water network piping fresh water from wetter areas to drier areas? Though with this Brexit madness, doubt there'll be any money for anything like that for decades. Salination plants would work too but again, expensive.

This might help > https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/groundwater-current-status-and-flood-risk :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
3 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

On the local news here just last week was an article saying the levels in our local reservoir at Bewl Water are 50% below normal for the time of year. The last few months have been very dry down here.

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/bewl-water

• Like 3

We need rainfall in late autumn / winter, spring and summer rain does not do much for reservoirs and aquifers, it gets absorbed by plants and evaporates.

If the rest of winter is very dry then there could well be problems, when was the last regional hosepipe bans, I cant remember ?

Edited by mickeyb44

Posted
42 minutes ago, mickeyb44 said:

We need rainfall in late autumn / winter, spring and summer rain does not do much for reservoirs and aquifers, it gets absorbed by plants and evaporates.

If the rest of winter is very dry then there could well be problems, when was the last regional hosepipe bans, I cant remember ?

last hosepipe ban i can remember was 2012 or 2013? correct me if im wrong as i didn't live in this region at the time I was in Nottingham where it wasnt as bad

edit: April 2012 if google is correct

Edited by Delka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, MAF said:

Great site. Thanks MAF. It's worth copying the December summary for the SE of England for info:

December was a dry month, with only 24% of the long term average (LTA) rainfall being recorded across the south-east of England. The wettest day was the 10th when approximately 66% of the monthly total rainfall was recorded. It was the driest December on record for more than half of the areal units in Kent and South London, and the 2nd driest December after 1926 for other areas in Thames and Solent and South Downs areas. The soil moisture deficit ended higher than the long term average for the month and there was limited recharge across the south-east of England. Some rivers draining Clay catchments were in the exceptionally low category in response to the dry conditions and the majority of groundwater indicator sites fell during the month.

• Like 1

Posted

Didn't get an air frost last night here. Was about 1.5C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Great site. Thanks MAF. It's worth copying the December summary for the SE of England for info:

December was a dry month, with only 24% of the long term average (LTA) rainfall being recorded across the south-east of England. The wettest day was the 10th when approximately 66% of the monthly total rainfall was recorded. It was the driest December on record for more than half of the areal units in Kent and South London, and the 2nd driest December after 1926 for other areas in Thames and Solent and South Downs areas. The soil moisture deficit ended higher than the long term average for the month and there was limited recharge across the south-east of England. Some rivers draining Clay catchments were in the exceptionally low category in response to the dry conditions and the majority of groundwater indicator sites fell during the month.

Here, on the northern fringe of the North Suffolk and South Norfolk claylands, our back garden isn't anything like as wet as it would normally be at this time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Long may we have this high pressure where it is.
Just loving all these blue skies and frosty nights.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, MAF said:

Thank you! Groundwater levels in my area are normal. Hopefully no problems this year then. My main concern with all this very nice high pressure in winter is the summer will be wet and low pressure dominated. We shall see....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Thank you! Groundwater levels in my area are normal. Hopefully no problems this year then. My main concern with all this very nice high pressure in winter is the summer will be wet and low pressure dominated. We shall see....

Exactly and all this talk of a 'Drought' if that's what the Met Office want to call it.......

Will be a distant memory when its pouring down day after day = Which it will do eventually ,this is the UK.

Posted

If you look back on met office summaries of 2016, it was pretty dry. Hopefully it doesn't carry on because it hasn't been too long since 2011/2012 when the region was affected badly. We had heath fires here in that period..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I'm either wearing warmer clothes or it felt like an early-ish autumn day, but i was sweating from the walk to school.