Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
55 minutes ago, snowray said:

This rain, heavy at times, has been over me now for more than 24hrs, temps have dropped back down in the East to 3,4,5c. Pity really, so close and yet so far to a battleground set up.

Of course part of the problem in the SE of the UK is altitude, highest hills what? 200/300m max I guess, if we were just twice that altitude I am sure that it would snow all the time in Winter...hills of 400/600m, continental feed, uppers of -2/3c would be enough for snow. Its like them "what if" programs, North downs/Chilterns would be regularly snowed in, skying at Biggin Hill without the need of artificial snow, England's capital mist likely be in a milder Birmingham.:)

Was thinking this too, if we had got the colder uppers in from the East first, just imagine the totals for this weekend.

Some of us would have been buried!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

About to get some showers from the north sea here. To warm for them to do anything at 4.5 at the min though. Has that front moved west a bit since this morning?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Not the most inspiring long term MO Forecast. 

Appears to be a choice between Atlantic driven or the return of the EuroSlug!

I don't know enough as to whether the talked about SSW could be a game changer but would be interested to hear any thoughts on this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Temp now down to 5C and wind increased to 6 mph. And, if the 'cold' air is also just reaching Dover, the whole lot'll very likely pivot away SE'wards overnight...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Wind has swung around to the ene where it at 0 all day now. DP starting fall a tad, curently 3.1

Posted

The rain isn't great but since June it's been pretty dry so got to have some perspective really. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Temp has just bounced back up to 6C...Abandon hope, all ye who enter here?

Posted

The cold air has backed west temperature 4.6C with us on the periphery the chart below sums it all up mainland Europe very cold. Tuesday is looking sunny make the most of the natural vitamin D but rather cold I have eye surgery so that will do. It's good that we've seen some proper rain lately....

IMG_1673.PNG

Posted

A lot brighter than this morning. Not been out to feel how the wind is making a difference or not.

Observations

Observed at 14:00, Monday 16 January

5°C 41°F

Wind Speed 8 km/h 5 mph East South Easterly

Humidity: 93%

Visibility: Good

Pressure: 1028mb, Falling

Observation station: London

(Lat: 51.517 | Lon: -0.1)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

We can safely throw January in the bin, no snow or any weather excitement ahead. Unless.......................................

Edited by lassie23

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

We can safely throw January in the bin, no snow or any weather excitement ahead.

I don't understand why so many people are putting down this January down as another bad one. Most of the region has had at least one day of snow falling even if it didnt settle, which is better then other years when we didnt even get any sleet (Which we've had 4 days of already this year here). Even if its wintry precipitation wise, other departments haven't failed us so far with plenty of frosts and foggy wintery scenes some of which were harsh and lasted throughout the day. There is potential on the charts aswell, there always is, even if its not much.

Just don't throw away this month and mark it as a flop until its in the final few days, then i'll let you complain. Its only been half yet, and as we know the forecast and dramatically switch within just a few days.. who knows, this time next week we could even have below average uppers and 5cm widely across the region.. who knows..

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Delka said:

I don't understand why so many people are putting down this January down as another bad one. Most of the region has had at least one day of snow falling even if it didnt settle, which is better then other years when we didnt even get any sleet (Which we've had 4 days of already this year here). Even if its wintry precipitation wise, other departments haven't failed us so far with plenty of frosts and foggy wintery scenes some of which were harsh and lasted throughout the day. There is potential on the charts aswell, there always is, even if its not much.

Just don't throw away this month and mark it as a flop until its in the final few days, then i'll let you complain. Its only been half yet, and as we know the forecast and dramatically switch within just a few days.. who knows, this time next week we could even have below average uppers and 5cm widely across the region.. who knows..

The last remaining weeks of this month look awful if you like snow, only a favorable `SSW can help now, otherwise it's an Atlantic or euro high borefest

Keep an eye on model develompments 

UKMO was very cold @144 in 524 thicknesses from the SE with the chance' of that atlantic bumping into our cold turning to snow

keep an eye on these little blue patches as they are developing upper cold areas going from 0c to -6c in 24 hours heading our way ahead of the fronts-

see that area over paris - await UKMO 120

IMG_1714.PNG

Saturday Maxima

IMG_1715.PNG

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 7

Posted
35 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

We can safely throw January in the bin, no snow or any weather excitement ahead. Unless.......................................

Noooooo, please don't give up, the models are struggling with this pattern meaning anything can pop up out of nowhere:-)

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Noooooo, please don't give up, the models are struggling with this pattern meaning anything can pop up out of nowhere:-)

lol, i'm hoping the SSW event occurs and effects the northern hemisphere positively for snow and cold.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol, i'm hoping the SSW event occurs and effects the northern hemisphere positively for snow and cold.

Me too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 hours ago, 80sWeather said:

Was thinking this too, if we had got the colder uppers in from the East first, just imagine the totals for this weekend.

Some of us would have been buried!

Almost always wrong side of marginal these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Its been another damp and cloudy day, we did have a few teasing bits of sunshine late this afternoon. Hopefully some Sun tomoz, missing the sun now.

Good Health to you all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
2 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Keep an eye on model develompments 

UKMO was very cold @144 in 524 thicknesses from the SE with the chance' of that atlantic bumping into our cold turning to snow

keep an eye on these little blue patches as they are developing upper cold areas going from 0c to -6c in 24 hours heading our way ahead of the fronts-

see that area over paris - await UKMO 120

IMG_1714.PNG

Saturday Maxima

IMG_1715.PNG

Any update on your thoughts Steve . You have me hoping again.

• Like 2

Hmmm,

Netweather forecast for my area next 6 days - 5 frosts, 2 of which could be good frosts.

Meto forecast - 1 light frost and mostly cloudy crud

I dont post in the model thread, but im keeping an eye on it for sure and waiting for people to start talking of change in the semi reliable timeframe.

34 mm of rain so far this month, good for the aquifers I suppose, so not a disaster.

Posted
2 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Any update on your thoughts Steve . You have me hoping again.

It is mostly surface cold nothing extraordinary for mid winter well probably the coldest day(s) of the winter so far. Hopefully we get lucky and one of those cold pools over our region, coincide with frontal stuff.

• Like 1