Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 12/1/2017 11z ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons! :-D

So many people saying snow won't lie after rain... the deepest snow I remember started as a heavy rain to snow event back in the seventies, and we all watched in amazement as the puddles quickly turned to slush , and then went white! ;-)

• Like 6

Posted

Looking at the 2pm pressure charts there is now a 'lovely' kink in the isobars that looks a little more extreme than I would have expected at this stage..

I am also bearing in mind that with the arrival of the low at some point there will be a lot of wind shifts and nowcasting it looks like precipitation will be around for quite a while into the evening

Lastly.. no point sitting at the Beeb / Met alter as they cannot do anything more than we can at this stage... (noting Met website has just gone back to heavy snow 6-8pm for Westminster)

• Like 2

Posted

Some wintry precipitation now over Exmoor, Dartmoor and the Cotswolds. Still think Kent will be ok later. I'm nicely placed in Orpington with some elevation.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Sadly with the sheer quantity of rain falling and continuing I doubt very much many areas will have anything lay.

be nice to see it fall though for the first time in a long while, next weeks easterly is still on the cards as well. Lots of positives, always sad when we don't get anything settle though!

If the snow is heavy enough then it will settle easily, once the water gets cold enough the flakes dont melt and then build up and the water below starts to freeze, we will just have to wait and see how much snow we get..but i am going with 8cms by lunchtime tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Canterbury Snow said:

So many people saying snow won't lie after rain... the deepest snow I remember started as a heavy rain to snow event back in the seventies, and we all watched in amazement as the puddles quickly turned to slush , and then went white! ;-)

Seen it happen 3 or 4 times in my life, last time over the Chilterns in March 2013.

Actually a wonderful phenomena as the greys get whiter and whiter until everything is all white.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Really? I didn't know about the near bankruptcy. Learn something every day. What happened exactly, I remember reading about the closure but not the financial side.

I did some training courses on the snow clearing equipment a couple of years ago. Basically Heathrow, through another company, now have a small army of snow clearance operatives on standby over the winter months to avoid a repeat of 2010 (when the airport was basically closed for a week due to not coping with the snow and cold). It was a huge deal, attracted massive amounts of criticism and the airport came close to going bankrupt.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
Just now, MKN said:

Snowing in higher areas of west mids now

BBC graphic did well then, it was their 15:00 map that showed back edge snow around the West Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Whatever happens someone will say 'told you so' such is the beast the internet is. I never look at any weather event, any time of the year, and assume that I am getting that thunderstorm, that I am getting 32C that I am getting some snow today. I just have a chance that it might turn a bit wintry later on, I'm in no mind that i'm getting 4 inches and i'm going to be disappointed when it just ends up as rain. Unless the Met0 suddenly give me a red warning circa 2010, it's just going to rain. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Canterbury Snow said:

I know! Drives me mad! It's like the 'it's too cold to snow' comment! Of course snow can settle on wet surfaces! Just need to be cold enough! 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, jodaw84 said:

I know! Drives me mad! It's like the 'it's too cold to snow' comment! Of course snow can settle on wet surfaces! Just need to be cold enough! 

to cold for snow is the most infuriating ever lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Current Conditions 

5.5 °C

DP 4.9c

Precip Rate:

3.56 mm/hr

Precip Accum:

5.33 mm

Raining hard at the mo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
16 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Really? I didn't know about the near bankruptcy. Learn something every day. What happened exactly, I remember reading about the closure but not the financial side.

complete rubbish that they were hours from bankruptcy !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
Just now, jodaw84 said:

Ha ha, I think though that some people are talking about this particular situation rather than a general statement about wet surfaces. The too cold to snow thing though is one of those seemingly silly bits of folk wisdom that has some roots in truth. In colder countries people don't really say that. In the UK though, notable snow often comes from battleground events where warm moist air meets entrenched cold dry air, so I suspect the saying comes from folk memories of very cold dry spells where it "warms" a bit as the battleground takes place and snow ensues. Just a theory of mine.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi, been a long while since I posted on this forum.

4.0C with a DP of 3.0C Nr Bury St Eds. I did hear from from someone in Cambridge earlier who mentioned sleet . . . not seen it here though.
Being optimistic, I reckon that will change in the next few hours.

• Like 1