Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Foggy again overnight but cleared earlier this morning to leave a cloudy day so far although the sun did come out for a few minutes not long ago. 6.5°C. 

Posted

Trying to brighten up here...

Came back from my morning walk with a frozen barnet. It was the same on Monday.

Anybody else end up on their a*se the morning, on the ice? Nope, thought not... Just me. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The skies cleared overhead now leaving it sunny and quite pleasant. 

Posted
1 hour ago, jtay said:

Trying to brighten up here...

Came back from my morning walk with a frozen barnet. It was the same on Monday.

Anybody else end up on their a*se the morning, on the ice? Nope, thought not... Just me. :rolleyes:

I did too, blocked paving is the slippiest surface! Thankfully had a soft landing due to 4 layers of clothing!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
6 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Kinda like this morning ( and earlier this week) when looking outside I could see "Diamond dust" falling and picked up by my garden spotlight.

Sun is really trying it's best now to burn this fog off.

Yes, I saw diamond dust in the security light last night. I remember it during the daytime falling out of what looked to be a clear blue sky in 2010. Wonderful stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Evening all. Another glorious sunny day. Clouded in by 5. Strong breeze and a real nip in the air. Snow signal gone now bit was expected to vanish. Looking like a lot of rain in these parts from Friday onwards.

Posted

Still above freezing tonight with the cloud cover. 2.9°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
8 hours ago, Zephyr said:

IMG_1934.JPGIMG_1935.JPG

Pretty nice sunset tonight as I walked home :)

Someone lives by Yate Common then.  Lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

After lots of faffing, my new nameservers are slowly beginning to propagate through the internet, to my domain name. I can resolve it to the new IP, but my browser isn't fully picking it up yet. The site should load a lot faster when it is completed.

3.4°C with a bit of a windchill now that the breeze has picked up.

The cold spell knocked 1.5°C off of my monthly average. It stands at 4.1°C now, the MetO region average is 4.5°C

chart.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, AWD said:

Someone lives by Yate Common then.  Lol.

Haha sure do nice place for a stroll with the dog didn't really appreciate it until I got older... :D

Edited by Zephyr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

No fog!!! At last...,,typically on the day I don't have to travel :whistling:

1.9c feels like -0.9c

i can hear the wind!! Now give me a storm :spiteful:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Cold windy and cloudy 0.0c

What a borefest although better than the rain we have coming at weekend. :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

So as I walked the dog on another nippy morning I forlornly said goodbye to cold mornings as it seems all systems go for a spell of mild wet and windy weather. Don't get me wrong I like a good storm but there will be a lot of humdrum weather to come - I'm thinking 11c breezy and wet,.

On another note I have to chuckle at the MAD thread all these calls of confidence that the SSW will start to produce stellar runs from now on. Or proclamations that SSW is a guarantee of cold weather from the more shall we say the amateurish contributor.

This winter has been fascinating as the northern hemispheres weather patterns have been all over the place.  We've been told from many posters that.....

the because the atlantic is quiet or zonal winds are low or sunspot activity is low or SST's are low or signals of blocking are great (they were but in the wrong place) or snow cover is great in europe or the MoJo (as I call it -  MJO really) is in phase something or an other or the NAO / AO is trending negative or the sea weed looked strange today that we will get a snowy spell. 

Codswallop!

All these factors or excuses don't prove a thing. Yes there are drivers for certain weather but as there so many parts of the jigsaw and its a mystery still how they all integrate with each other. So putting your hopes on a SSW is a fallacy!

This winter has shown me more than ever any forecasts past 120 -144hrs indeed sometimes even at 6hrs (that non snow event here comes to mind) that no-one can accurately forecast the weather!

Its a joy in this world where technology is king that we still can't accurately predict the weather a week in advance!

Now back to the day job........hey did you see that snow chart in 2 weeks time :fool:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Yes its been a chilly winter so far, I have seen lying snow and been well under freezing on many occasions, only thing missing has been a good dumping but hey hoe can't have it all.

Posted
11 minutes ago, festivalking said:

We've been told from many posters that.....

the because the atlantic is quiet or zonal winds are low or sunspot activity is low or SST's are low or signals of blocking are great (they were but in the wrong place) or snow cover is great in europe or the MoJo (as I call it -  MJO really) is in phase something or an other or the NAO / AO is trending negative or the sea weed looked strange today that we will get a snowy spell. 

Codswallop!

All these factors or excuses don't prove a thing. Yes there are drivers for certain weather but as there so many parts of the jigsaw and its a mystery still how they all integrate with each other. So putting your hopes on a SSW is a fallacy!

This winter has shown me more than ever any forecasts past 120 -144hrs indeed sometimes even at 6hrs (that non snow event here comes to mind) that no-one can accurately forecast the weather!

I totally agree, so often the clutching of straws, anything beyond 120-144hrs is a complete "forecast". How within a chaos environment people believe they can even  suggest "it will do this or it will do that" when it's way beyond even super computers (and their input variables). The MAD thread has always been a 'could' 'might' 'possibly' environment, and I for one don't believe in the SSW saviour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

just looked in on the south east thread, wish i hadn't, some are reporting light snow/snow grains and some are getting a slight dusting!!

nothing showing on radar, so it must be very light.

fromey

Posted
3 minutes ago, fromey said:

just looked in on the south east thread, wish i hadn't, some are reporting light snow/snow grains and some are getting a slight dusting!!

fromey

Potential is there for tomorrow too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Potential is there for tomorrow too.

for us or the south east?

Edited by fromey

Posted
Just now, fromey said:

for us or the south east?

Sorry, for the eastern areas..

Was shown as SE, now appears this morning to be just to the NNW of London, and possibly up the East coast later. As they are hanging on to the colder air, the opportunity does exist for some white precip.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I've not ventured into the MAD thread for ages!! Which is not like me at all in Winter. Think I've just had it this year to be honest. So I can't be doing with straw clutching.

The way I see it as we have a displaced PV at D10, no reversal at 10hpa, so odds of HLB are looking long now. 

I am hoping we can get a few winter storms, as at least that is interesting and gets me out of the house in the evenings :D

edit: now been in mod thread,and  swiftly left. 

Currently 2.1c feels like -3.0 brhhhh 

if only we had some precip to go with these conditions!!:wallbash:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
39 minutes ago, fromey said:

fromey

Looks like some white stuff falling around Rickmansworth NNW London.