Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
12 minutes ago, fromey said:

morning all. -4.3c dew -6.3.

wasn't expecting it to be this cold, went to bed at 22;30 and temps were well above 0c.

fromey

Yes, same here. Was well above freezing when I went to bed. Woke up to -2.9C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Quick obs before the electricians arrive..  Still foggy after a low of -1.9°C

Temp: -0.8°C - Hum: 98% - Dew: -1.3°C - Bar: 1029.77hPa - Wind: ENE @ 2mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very frosty until about 45 minutes ago when the temperature suddenly shot up from 0C to 02.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still foggy here although its not as thick as yesterday and is slowly clearing. 2.9°C. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Mostly clear and sunny with temp up to 7.8c this afternoon. Will be nice to see snow falling Thursday evening if it is very light. BBC forecast has light snow IMBY for much of the day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Temperature up to a balmy 5c today however ground frost remains on pavements.

Not expecting anything from Thursday but still time for a back loaded winter :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Cannot complain at the number of frosts since November, a very marked improvement on the last few years. Just over a third of winter left so is anybody brave enough to forecast a widespread snowy event for the SW before the clock ticks into Spring? My bet would be unlikely, but with so many surprises could you rule it out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Yesterday almost did it but there was a clear interlude 12-14:00 as low cloud rolled overhead. Today has finally done it; a full day of fog for the first time in a dozen years.

With a max of only 2.1*C this has to be one of the coldest spots in the UK today. It's also been strange to see absolutely no wind for such a long period of time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Fog cleared here about half an hour ago which has allowed he temperature to rise higher than yesterday to 5.4°C. Currently 4.5°C. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Yesterday almost did it but there was a clear interlude 12-14:00 as low cloud rolled overhead. Today has finally done it; a full day of fog for the first time in a dozen years.

With a max of only 2.1*C this has to be one of the coldest spots in the UK today. It's also been strange to see absolutely no wind for such a long period of time.

48 hours of fog, here. This is the second day of a negative average temperature. It has been impressive to be fair. 7 frosts in a row, 12 this month, 23 frosts in total. The frost season started 83 days ago for me. Great stats!

chart.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It's been a glorious day here, temp rose to 8.1 but heading back down again now, currently 6.2. Journey to work was punctuated with stretches of thick hoare frost on the trees, although there was none here.

A day of clear blue sky and sunshine, the snowdrops are nearly out and the aconites are making a beautiful sunshine yellow carpet beneath the trees,; if it wasn't for the fact I've seen both covered with a thick blanket of snow many times before, I'd be convinced spring is on the way. But there's still plenty of time for cold and snow yet. Horse chestnuts are usually one of the first big trees to say hello to spring, their sticky buds get fatter and fatter ready to burst open, currently they're still in winter mode with tightly bound, slim, non sticky buds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Not at home today working in Chichester, where there has been no fog all day and feels quite mild in the sun. 

Im presuming the fog is still around at home as the temp maxed out at 3.5c and is back down to 2.7c now with todoays average temp sitting at 0.8c.

At least my journey home should be fog free until the last stretch. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
25 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

48 hours of fog, here. This is the second day of a negative average temperature. It has been impressive to be fair. 7 frosts in a row, 12 this month, 23 frosts in total. The frost season started 83 days ago for me. Great stats!

chart.png

Yes it has been amazing to see the usual westerlies shut out for such a large part of this winter. The middle part of Dec was an exception but even then HP stuck close by and we often weren't all that far from a chilly or cold setup with a lot of very light winds such as we have now.

Dec was among the driest on record here and depending on which way things go for Sun-Tue, Jan could well follow suit. Local streams are at summertime levels and the local meadow is dried out with lots of dead brown grass and reeds, which looked mighty strange when covered in rime yesterday.

Posted
18 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Not at home today working in Chichester, where there has been no fog all day and feels quite mild in the sun. 

Im presuming the fog is still around at home as the temp maxed out at 3.5c and is back down to 2.7c now with todoays average temp sitting at 0.8c.

At least my journey home should be fog free until the last stretch. 

Oh yes still foggy down here in Poole, has thickened up again this afternoon. As Mapantz said 48hours now of fog, with today reaching 2.7°C at: 15:45, the downward trend is now beginning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well the ground frost survived here today but only on concrete surfaces and top soil still frozen, some morning cloud thawed the grass and car out before it cleared again.

Another hard frost looks like setting in early again I'm just glad we have not seen any fog last few days.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I've just found this: https://www.weerstationkopen.nl/accessoire-station-meteo/davis/6461-aerocone

I'm going to order one of those.

Looks like a pigeon poker to me, stops the birds settling..

Posted
Just now, Dorsetbred said:

Looks like a pigeon poker to me, stops the birds settling..

Well, I do have the latest cone (until I saw that) that came with bird spikes and a better debris screen. The bird spikes do help, but I still get Rooks and Pigeons sitting on the spikes.

That new rain cone would be better for me, though. I get problems with rain readings during high winds, due to a tunneling effect from next doors drive way. It's got to be worth trying for £30?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Well, I do have the latest cone (until I saw that) that came with bird spikes and a better debris screen. The bird spikes do help, but I still get Rooks and Pigeons sitting on the spikes.

That new rain cone would be better for me, though. I get problems with rain readings during high winds, due to a tunneling effect from next doors drive way. It's got to be worth trying for £30?

Yup agreed, worth a try, can I suggest you use the copter to chase the birds away.Thanks for the site info, useful reference.

Posted

No fog here since it cleared late this afternoon. Temperatures dropping away quickly now, already below freezing at -0.3°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Glorious day today in Plymouth.  No coat required quite mild really. Start thinking dangerous thoughts of hopefully a mild dry sunny spring. Still got at least 5 weeks of winter yet!

Still have a snow signal here for Thursday morning. From 4 to 10 am. Princetown has the potential for 12 hours. But all light stuff. Might start work a bit later on Thursday to see what is about.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Glorious day today in Plymouth.  No coat required quite mild really. Start thinking dangerous thoughts of hopefully a mild dry sunny spring. Still got at least 5 weeks of winter yet!

Still have a snow signal here for Thursday morning. From 4 to 10 am. Princetown has the potential for 12 hours. But all light stuff. Might start work a bit later on Thursday to see what is about.

Ian mentioned snow grains for Thursday on his Points West forecast, it looks like being early in the day before drier, clearer air heads North.

Amazing that some parts of the region have had fog for 48 odd hours when others, like here, have had unbroken sunshine both days! Pretty decent diurnal range too, from -3.7c up to 8.0c .

• Like 2