South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

my life is now officially over lol 

legend, cheers again :hi:

ooerrrhh Twitter feed :good:

A quick couple of things to point out if you're definitely going to use Wunderground:

Enable that in your Wunderground settings.

2017-01-12 (4)_LI.jpg

Enable the check box I've circled in the Cumulus settings

The green circle I have checked is one that caused me a headache to begin with. For some unknown reason, Wundergrounds PWS system has an awkward way of sending wind data, and it causes an issue with rapidfire. Basically, rapidfire will show you the wind speed and direction in intervals of whatever you set Cumulus to send it at, ie 5 seconds. However, what tends to happen, is that the graphs on the Wunderground page will miss your high gusts, and make the wind speed and wind gust lines the same.

I checked the setting to send 'average wind speed for the current speed' so that doesn't happen, the wind gusts and averages look correct on the graph, but by doing that, the wind rose/speed on Wunderground will only update every 5 or 10 minutes

2017-01-12 (5)_LI.jpg 2017-01-12 (6)_LI.jpg

It's down to your preference how you want it to work. It took me ages to work out why Wunderground stopped showing the wind updates every 5 seconds or so, so I manually went through each setting in Cumulus to try and work out what was going on lol.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

It's still 2.6C here with clear skies and light winds. Impressive cold this haha

Yeah I'm wondering why the temperature isn't dropping?! Clear skies in a northerly flow - should be plummeting shouldn't it?!

Posted

Update on conditions here: A very bright moon, almost nice flying conditions for a quad copter.. JC_sneaky.gif

Temp: 1.5°C - Hum: 85% - Dew: -0.7°C - Wchill: -1.4°C - Rain: 27.4mm - Bar: 1003.08hPa - Wind: WNW @ 6mph.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

A quick couple of things to point out if you're definitely going to use Wunderground:

Enable that in your Wunderground settings.

2017-01-12 (4)_LI.jpg

Enable the check box I've circled in the Cumulus settings

The green circle I have checked is one that caused me a headache to begin with. For some unknown reason, Wundergrounds PWS system has an awkward way of sending wind data, and it causes an issue with rapidfire. Basically, rapidfire will show you the wind speed and direction in intervals of whatever you set Cumulus to send it at, ie 5 seconds. However, what tends to happen, is that the graphs on the Wunderground page will miss your high gusts, and make the wind speed and wind gust lines the same.

I checked the setting to send 'average wind speed for the current speed' so that doesn't happen, the wind gusts and averages look correct on the graph, but by doing that, the wind rose/speed on Wunderground will only update every 5 or 10 minutes

2017-01-12 (5)_LI.jpg 2017-01-12 (6)_LI.jpg

It's down to your preference how you want it to work. It took me ages to work out why Wunderground stopped showing the wind updates every 5 seconds or so, so I manually went through each setting in Cumulus to try and work out what was going on lol.

Finally!!!!!!!!

IMG_5404.PNG

like you say, think I have a few settings I need to check. But massive thank you mapantz!! Owe you one 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

1.4C, DP -1.8C. Humidity 79%. Hence none of those showers making it down here!

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Finally!!!!!!!!

IMG_5404.PNG

like you say, think I have a few settings I need to check. But massive thank you mapantz!! Owe you one 

No problem whatsoever! :)

You're on the map too! LaieA_018.gif

2017-01-12 (7).png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

No problem whatsoever! :)

You're on the map too! LaieA_018.gif

2017-01-12 (7).png

I know well chuffed lol :drunk: having a JD to celebrate :smile:

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mal Kapadia said:

What are people's thoughts on next week then? 

Thanks, 

Mal 

Cold easterly flow, probably won't need to scrape the car windows as the air will be nice and dry. With a bit of luck maybe the odd disturbance in the flow bringing wintryness, but that looks an outside bet to me at present for our region

NO SIGN OF THE ATLANTIC!! 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Decent conditions for snow here now. Temp 2.0°C DP -0.6°C but of course no precip anywhere near.

• Like 1

Posted

I kid you not, there has been the tiniest snow shower here and yet the skies look clear. There's tiny little specs all over the shed roof and the flower bed. I shone my torch up and you can see it falling.

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Mal Kapadia said:

What are people's thoughts on next week then? 

Thanks, 

Mal 

All about getting that cold air locked in for us next week with signs of an easterly so if anything does attack from the west we should have cold air established, slight warm up on Sunday as the warmer air wins but it cools down again quickly after.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I'm back from the pub! Wassuuupp?! It's 0.7 according to my weather station.. few whisps of cloud around and the moon is out. Where's my snow?  :fool:

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I kid you not, there has been the tiniest snow shower here and yet the skies look clear. There's tiny little specs all over the shed roof and the flower bed. I shone my torch up and you can see it falling.

I best pop my head outside then 

nope just bloody freezing 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Still more snow than here :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

I've just been outside for a smoke, and walked up the garden a bit, so I could see further West. There's a thin veil of cloud, so thin in fact, you can see stars through it! It looks as though there's some virga fallstreak coming from it, so I guess that was the culprit?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Quite a heavy graupel shower in Exeter, which left a temporary dusting on the ground.  It seems that the Exeter area is in the firing line at the moment, though not quite cold enough for proper snow (saw some wet sleety flakes earlier though).  I see that the temperature at Haytor (310m up on the eastern fringe of Dartmoor) has climbed recently to 1.4C after hovering around 0.6C for a while, so I'm guessing that subsequent showers in Exeter will mainly be of rain or hail.

http://www.lyneside.demon.co.uk/Haytor/automatic/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

You're a lucky guy! 

Isnt their someone crazy stat that snowflakes can fall 6 miles away from where they left the cloud? Must be what happened for you?!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've just been outside for a smoke, and walked up the garden a bit, so I could see further West. There's a thin veil of cloud, so thin in fact, you can see stars through it! It looks as though there's some virga fallstreak coming from it, so I guess that was the culprit?!

There's a tiny shower showing on the radar near you. Maybe that's it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 hour ago, Smartie said:

Been checking the radar last few hours, I've been seeing exactly what's been happening to those showers, unfortunately. Still, you never know what will happen through the early hours. 

This was over an hour ago... How are those beefy showers over south wales doing... :rofl:

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted

FYI ignore my wunderground...it's currently  0.8c wrong!! 

My temp is -0.5c and dp is -1.0c

Wunder has me at 0.3c and dp 1.0c :cc_confused:

not sure what's going on there 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

FYI ignore my wunderground...it's currently  0.8c wrong!! 

My temp is -0.5c and dp is -1.0c

Wunder has me at 0.3c and dp 1.0c :cc_confused:

not sure what's going on there 

It looks as though it has only sent one reading, at 10:45pm

Does your laptop go to sleep? Cumulus doesn't like the sleep function, i've got all that turned off on my system, just the screensaver enabled.