Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
33 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Slowly but surely, the MetO have adjusted the minimums for tonight/tomorrow morning. It was showing -2°C  yesterday, then -1°C last night, 1°C this morning, now 2°C is the forecast minimum for here lol
According to thee BBC, it was meant to be bright sunshine now, instead, its grey leaden skies.

It's all down to the ridiculously stagnant front which will still be hereabouts in a few day's time.

However tonight into tomorrow morning could not only provide big temperature contrasts across the UK, but within our own region too. Should the cloud shift far enough N/W even by 06.00 tomorrow there is potential for -5c within this threads' region while those of us who remain under cloud are likely to be around +5c = potential for a 10c differential within a 50-75 mile area!

The air is definitively colder than at 06.00 this morning, it was a damp/muggy 7.9c then but down to a dry/cold 5.0c now.

Edited by Andy Bown
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
23 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

It's all down to the ridiculously stagnant front which will still be hereabouts in a few day's time.

However tonight into tomorrow morning could not only provide big temperature contrasts across the UK, but within our own region too. Should the cloud shift far enough N/W even by 06.00 tomorrow there is potential for -5c within this threads' region while those of us who remain under cloud are likely to be around +5c = potential for a 10c differential within a 50-75 mile area!

The air is definitively colder than at 06.00 this morning, it was a damp/muggy 7.9c then but down to a dry/cold 5.0c now.

I for one, hope I end up on the colder side. I'm missing the white frosts! This weather makes me feel like i'm in a little boat, caught in  the doldrums whilst waiting a fortnight for the wind to pick up again, and move me to somewhere with some interest. lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Afternoon all, it's been another dank, dreary day here; 4c and drizzly, albeit lighter drizzle than yesterday. Got a bit of  girly problem...two days of working outside in drizzle has produced spectacular results in the hair department, currently sporting a 'do' which wouldn't look out of place in a photo shoot for 1970's 'get your afro/shaggy perm here' campaign. Hey ho. Hoping tomorrow is a dryer day.

• Like 2

Posted

Been gardening for some hours in dry and cool conditions,some places in the SE reporting maxes 2-4 in places,others higher,no rainfall so the pub critics still site me as Donald Trump on a tidy day and Boris Johnson when scruffy,this always pushes me to visit the barbers lol......I was meaning haircut not body type or looks thank god.

Posted

4c at 3.30 this afternoon. Was forecast to be 7/8c.

So......Even less than 24 hr forecasting is suspect, so how anyone in mad thread can worry about 7-10 days in advance is way beyond me?

Posted

About the same here,point correctly made about the 10 day nonsense,looking for trends ect is fine if there are any correct ones occasionally,but this year like most others the LRFs amateur or the pros have been pretty poor,even Countryfile normally get to Weds and say we are uncertain,keep up to date with our websites,which is there or there abouts,all good stuff though guy on TWO in November basically saying his forecast for Aprril/May this year was nailed ive only just stopped laughing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Hi all, I haven't been in here for ages, been rather busy this weekend as went away and thought I'd have a breather from the models. Looks like I haven't missed much!! Any signs of hope on the horizon? I haven't ventured to the MAD thread yet 

Posted

The clear patch that was heading this way, stopped. The cloud has moved back East again. :closedeyes:

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
7 minutes ago, khodds said:

Any signs of hope on the horizon? I haven't ventured to the MAD thread yet 

Welllll, you know that as you chase the horizon it seems to keep moving away from you, that's the story of this winter. It's there, it's just over the horizon..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Turned out quite nice here since the cloud cleared around mid afternoon. Temperature reached 6.3°C and it's dropped quite quickly since sunset to 3.6°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
48 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Welllll, you know that as you chase the horizon it seems to keep moving away from you, that's the story of this winter. It's there, it's just over the horizon..

I'll start looking fwd to next winter then :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The clear patch that was heading this way, stopped. The cloud has moved back East again. :closedeyes:

Venus & Mars visible, cloud must be thinning..

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Thoroughly miserable here all day, me and the weather!  Light mizzle on and off throughout, sometimes breezy and feeling chilly.  Will tomorrow bring an improvement?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

4.9c cloud looks to be clearing. Let's hope it beggars off completely. I want a proper frost in the morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

At last tomorrow the sun is set to shine. Feels a bit fresher outside already. Looks like this dry period is going to extend and extend. If we can't get the white stuff I'm happy with dry stuff. Less chance of a wet dog!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

3.9c here now. Happy days.

i see the ecm is up to its usual D10 easterly tease :lazy:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Since the cloud cleared earlier here the temperatures dropped quite quickly to 0.7°C.

Posted

Still thick cloud here, forecast showed the cloud to persist all night.

1 hour ago, festivalking said:

At last tomorrow the sun is set to shine. Feels a bit fresher outside already. Looks like this dry period is going to extend and extend. If we can't get the white stuff I'm happy with dry stuff. Less chance of a wet dog!

What forecast was that from? South today showed the West and North of the region to be cloudy all day, best of the sunshine to the East, and possibly parts of the South coast. The thick cloud eventually covers the whole region in to tomorrow night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
21 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Still thick cloud here, forecast showed the cloud to persist all night.

What forecast was that from? South today showed the West and North of the region to be cloudy all day, best of the sunshine to the East, and possibly parts of the South coast. The thick cloud eventually covers the whole region in to tomorrow night.

Spotlight and BBC weather app say glorious conditions from 11 and all day Thursday. Seemingly bit like purbeck we have a micro climate here but usually it's a climate of constant rain! 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Spotlight and BBC weather app say glorious conditions from 11 and all day Thursday. Seemingly bit like purbeck we have a micro climate here but usually it's a climate of constant rain! 

Ah I see! Well, fingers crossed for both places. I don't know what it is lately, I never used to really care about dull skies- I mean I didn't particularly like them then, but I seem to have a real hatred for nothing-type weather at the moment.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1