Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

The problem is, the put out a yellow warning 4 days before it occurred, with the notion that they were uncertain. That was a stupid thing to do! You only need to look at the current obs to see that the winds aren't as strong as yesterday, even down on the Cornwall and Devon coasts. There were no warnings for that. Now they are putting out tweets showing 50 to 60mph gusts along the South coast, their forecasts are not matching the current obs. Sandbanks for example, fairly exposed - stations down there are reporting no more than 30mph. A lot of high-res models (majority) show the strongest winds this evening along the coast, the MetO show the winds to be dying down in their forecasts..
I hate knocking the MetO, as they are usually pretty good when it comes to wind events, but just recently, they have become blunderous!

I can understand the uncertainty, and can understand there was a possibility of some dreadful weather along the south coast a couple of days back, but this far inland never warranted a warning for wind. The rain could be a bother as it's falling on top of saturated ground and it's heading for rush hour but there's still a warning in place despite gusts not even touching 30 here. Like you, I don't like to knock MetO, but this seems bizarre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Afternoon all, well it's been a positively vile day here today, wet all day and distinctly chillier than the rest of the week. I'd say it's definitely been the worst day of the week, even yesterday with all the wind was better and certainly warmer than today. Hoping next week is dryer, even if it is colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Bristle boy said:

So where is the storm?

Hasnt even been windy here today. Is it due later tonite?

You might well ask, Bris - you might well ask! It's been sunny and mild all day, over here, too; so, hardly worth wondering why the MetO hasn't named it?

But on much more pressing matters (than no-show Express-storm Doris) Spurs'll be without Danny Rose for up to four weeks!:angry:

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

But on much more pressing matters (than no-show Express-storm Doris) Spurs'll be without Danny Rose for up to four weeks!:angry:

What!? :wallbash:

Posted

Some drizzle rain around 11am, then dry. Since 3pm its been light rain. 2.2mm so far today.
The SSE wind did pick up from 3pm, now 16-20mph, with some 30mph gusts around 3pm, now some 25mph gusts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Rain on and off throughout the day so far giving a total of 3.8mm. Breezy at times but not that windy in comparison to what it looked like it would be. 8.3°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Noooooooooooo 

my wind gauge is broken!!!! :wallbash::wallbash:  

Mine has just packed up too. It's stuck at showing North, even though the Vane is moving. This is the second Anemometer to do this, seems a common problem with Davis - not happy!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

The problem is, the put out a yellow warning 4 days before it occurred, with the notion that they were uncertain. That was a stupid thing to do! You only need to look at the current obs to see that the winds aren't as strong as yesterday, even down on the Cornwall and Devon coasts. There were no warnings for that. Now they are putting out tweets showing 50 to 60mph gusts along the South coast, their forecasts are not matching the current obs. Sandbanks for example, fairly exposed - stations down there are reporting no more than 30mph. A lot of high-res models (majority) show the strongest winds this evening along the coast, the MetO show the winds to be dying down in their forecasts..
I hate knocking the MetO, as they are usually pretty good when it comes to wind events, but just recently, they have become blunderous!

given their poor ratings this week, what are they going to predict forecast next week?

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Mine has just packed up too. It's stuck at showing North, even though the Vane is moving. This is the second Anemometer to do this, seems a common problem with Davis - not happy!

Oh yes, two makes down and I'm still going strong, on both of my systems...

And there was me thinking about a longer term migration on to a Davis. Methinks I'll rethink that idea as those replacements aren't cheap are they? (Or are they as they fail so often?)

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Winds suddenly picked up here. 24mph gust. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
32 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Oh yes, two makes down and I'm still going strong, on both of my systems...

And there was me thinking about a longer term migration on to a Davis. Methinks I'll rethink that idea as those replacements aren't cheap are they? (Or are they as they fail so often?)

The first one that failed, I got sent a replacement for free. They cost about £140 on their own. What I cannot understand is, I have the newer version of the anemometer, as older ones would incur a similar fault - the reed switch fails and the connection stays open. The newer models don't have a reed switch as far as i'm aware, which should stop any issues. The same thing is happening on my second one though, and its the newer model. I can't keep on having these issues, especially when its situated 11m up on a chimney - fed up with it!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The first one that failed, I got sent a replacement for free. They cost about £140 on their own. What I cannot understand is, I have the newer version of the anemometer, as older ones would incur a similar fault - the reed switch fails and the connection stays open. The newer models don't have a reed switch as far as i'm aware, which should stop any issues. The same thing is happening on my second one though, and its the newer model. I can't keep on having these issues, especially when its situated 11m up on a chimney - fed up with it!

Now I was going to ask you where you have placed the unit, as mine reads a lot lower, because .....it is lower...on 6mtr pole in the garden. Purely for one reason, I fall off ladders so placing it on the roof just isn't going to happen..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

One thing one cannot do when bathing their 6 month old baby is get up and check if it is hailing!!

The radar shows red over my postcode about half an hour ago and something was battering against the bathroom window, does anyone know if it was hail?

Temperature is dropping quickly, 3.7c from 7.2c an hour ago.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

Winds dropped back down now. Since the wind got up the temperatures dropped quickly from 8°C to 5.8°C.

Posted

Temperature drop of -2.1C per hour, some colder air being wrapped around that low. Predictive radar suggesting some wintery precip over the Welsh valleys..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Where's cornish snow? Must be grinning from ear to ear with the promise of snow at....Er....8 days! Mind you we'll be here to ease the woes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Indeed, I have a 100mile ultra marathon that takes in the Cornish coast path to run on the 10th - 11th of next week starting in coverack and loops lands with a finish in Porthtowen. Looking cold and snowy ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
24 minutes ago, Stormyskies56 said:

Snow/sleet/rain at J18 M4. Kept on swapping between all three. 

yes, similar here (nr junction 16)...hail, rain and big splodgy sleet splats on the windscreen

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
3 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Where's cornish snow? Must be grinning from ear to ear with the promise of snow at....Er....8 days! Mind you we'll be here to ease the woes!

I can dream for a few hours,can't i?:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

You might well ask, Bris - you might well ask! It's been sunny and mild all day, over here, too; so, hardly worth wondering why the MetO hasn't named it?

That's a shame :rofl: