Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

Mod thread is dead lately.. just 6 pages since Tuesday :mellow:

Hopefully some interest develops as we approach February. For the time being we have some cold frosty, sunny mornings  :cold:

its a bit of a slow burner at the moment, although the UKMO has made small step towards the GFS and ECM, baby steps

slowly slowly catchy monkey!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Left here this morning with temperature at -2.9°C and a white frost, got about five miles away to the south to discover no frost and temperature already above freezing, just.  Down on the coast it was showing +5°C at 11.00, but back down to +2.5°C as we returned home.  Glorious sunshine all day, but a keen wind on the coast.

Posted
59 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

-2.1 already here. Looking forward to visiting the warmer climes of Cornwall tomorrow!( After I've scraped the car at 5am tomorrow)

Screen cover? Works for me...

Newspaper, cardboard, anything really that prevents moisture condensing on the glass will save you an awful lot of trouble, especially @ that time of the morning..

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, jethro said:

Quick question for you.....I know the Wavecrest Café down by the lifeboat station is being renovated, just wondering have you seen it recently? It's my absolute favourite café in Cornwall, spent many a happy hour just gazing out to sea from their veranda, please tell me they're not turning it into some trendy/funky, serve food on a bit of slate and tea out of an old jam jar kind of place - are they?

Yes! It was quite incredible the patches of dense fog on my drive from North Somerset up the M5 to Filton this morning, where there was also much less frost than back at home.

Indeed, I'd be happy for this weather to continue as long as necessary until some energy goes under the block and gives us some snow hehe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Blimey it's parky out there tonight! Just accompanied my 'scared of the dark' soppy spaniels to the bottom of the garden, went straight on my a**e on the deck - oops.

This pic from the Bath Chronicle tonight....Beautiful Bath looking even more stunning with the amazing sunset.

16174765_1608559992494088_4776264688792783257_n.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, cornish snow said:

Actually,i'm not sure. Trying to think of the last time i was down there.While ago i think.

Pretty sure my wife was there recently,she works in Mullion.I'll ask her later.

Sure you will still be able to Watch the Cornish Chough's  going about their business,

I live in porthallow near the Helford river,only really  go down Lizard way to play Darts on friday night's:)

Thank you. I think the closest I've got to seeing a Chough is on a mug I bought down there, happy to sit and look for them though - love the place, hoping to be back later in the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hi all. Been watching the mod thread over the last few weeks. Been a lurker for 5 years or so but at this point, I have to say I'm more confused than ever by the posts there in the last couple of days. Atm, it's -3 here near Glastonbury, and we have wind direction E or SE for the next five days or so with low single fig temps forecast......fantastic January weather, and what a beautiful sunny day it was today.

i need to try and avoid the mod thread if I want any useful info about the weather beyond about T48+

S

• Like 5

Posted
46 minutes ago, Somerseangel delightcher said:

Hi all. Been watching the mod thread over the last few weeks. Been a lurker for 5 years or so but at this point, I have to say I'm more confused than ever by the posts there in the last couple of days. Atm, it's -3 here near Glastonbury, and we have wind direction E or SE for the next five days or so with low single fig temps forecast......fantastic January weather, and what a beautiful sunny day it was today.

i need to try and avoid the mod thread if I want any useful info about the weather beyond about T48+

S

Welcome to the"friendly" thread..

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Struggling to get sub zero tonight, hovering around 0.9C, as the wind had picked up quite noticeably.

Same here, started off well but levelled out at 0.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Yeah.. I'm still at 2.5c, it doesn't want to drop tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Temperature dropping very slowly here now. 1.2°C.

Posted

It's on it's way down now -0.4c

Posted

It's -2.4c here already, going to be a bit crispy in the morning; driving a ratty old Landrover with all the inherent flaws and quirks means it's never really dry inside, water always gets in somewhere meaning I get to scrape outside and inside the windscreen. :-( Wouldn't swap it though.

Just to cheer us all up and give us something to dream of, here's a pic taken today in Capracotta, Molise, central Italy. Just imagine waking to this....

16105929_1942046529351772_6042450286774292718_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
7 minutes ago, jethro said:

It's -2.4c here already, going to be a bit crispy in the morning; driving a ratty old Landrover with all the inherent flaws and quirks means it's never really dry inside, water always gets in somewhere meaning I get to scrape outside and inside the windscreen. :-( Wouldn't swap it though.

Just to cheer us all up and give us something to dream of, here's a pic taken today in Capracotta, Molise, central Italy. Just imagine waking to this....

16105929_1942046529351772_6042450286774292718_n.jpg

I don't ever think I'll wake up to that :cray:

i wish 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I don't ever think I'll wake up to that :cray:

i wish 

I've never woken up to that amount in one overnight fall but cumulatively, 1981 was deeper than that in the Cotswolds and it hung on for weeks, it was heaven. Another memorable one was mid to late '80's, possibly '87. I was living in a tiny village in Northamptonshire (Eydon), it was on the top of a big hill and the wind had driven the drifts so they were deeper than the height of the bus, it was incredible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I forgot to post this..

A friend of mine who lives in Istanbul, sent me a pic last week of the snow outside of where he lives. Lucky #@*£$*#$

15972369_10155034919255039_1587685850933598385_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I forgot to post this..

A friend of mine who lives in Istanbul, sent me a pic last week of the snow outside of where he lives. Lucky #@*£$*#$

Wow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I forgot to post this..

Just in case we didn't feel bad enough already about recent winters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

He said he is getting fed up with it now, which I can understand. I went on a snowboarding holiday to Flaine about 10 years ago, the snowboarding was brilliant, but all the snow in the village began to pith me off. One night, me and mate drove across the border to Geneva for a night out, more snow fell while we were having fun, and then we couldn't get back in to the village we were staying at. We ended up kipping in a freezing car that we borrowed for the journey. I love snow, but hand on heart, I couldn't wait to get home, I was sick of it after 5 days!
I'm also one of those that prefers to see snow imby rather than going to a destination to actually see snow. It's all about seeing the area that you're most familiar with, change from snowfall, like roads seeming wider than they are, because you can't see where curbs are due to snow covering width to width. Does anybody concur with what I am on about? LaieA_055.gif

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I forgot to post this..

It looks so soft and fluffy.....  :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

He said he is getting fed up with it now, which I can understand. I went on a snowboarding holiday to Flaine about 10 years ago, the snowboarding was brilliant, but all the snow in the village began to pith me off. One night, me and mate drove across the border to Geneva for a night out, more snow fell while we were having fun, and then we couldn't get back in to the village we were staying at. We ended up kipping in a freezing car that we borrowed for the journey. I love snow, but hand on heart, I couldn't wait to get home, I was sick of it after 5 days!
I'm also one of those that prefers to see snow imby rather than going to a destination to actually see snow. It's all about seeing the area that you're most familiar with, change from snowfall, like roads seeming wider than they are, because you can't see where curbs are due to snow covering width to width. Does anybody concur with what I am on about? LaieA_055.gif

I get ya.. I HATE it when people walk all over it and ruin it!! I like to see it undisturbed... I have issues

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Yep if there's snow around I always want to be at home to see it not somewhere else. 

4 minutes ago, khodds said:

I get ya.. I HATE it when people walk all over it and ruin it!! I like to see it undisturbed... I have issues

Hate that too. Even the postman walking to the door or letting the dog out in the garden ruins it. And don't get me started on people clearing it. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 3