Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
2 minutes ago, noggin said:

Did you see the snow this morning? It was a nice surprise after yesterday's non-event!

Hey noggin - nice to see you :)

I had the day off today so, of course, I had a lie in after a silly night "on the watch" - which was fruitless.

I did see that a flurry must have taken place when I got up. But I didn't see falling snow!

Now, granted, I got up at 9:00am - that's probably taking liberties LOL. I had a great sleep, though!

• Like 1

Posted

Clouds just started covering the moon. There are only 47 pixel's worth of precipitation-bearing cloud left on the last 15 minute frame of the free radar that I use. I'm really clutching at straws here.

Posted
3 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Hey noggin - nice to see you :)

I had the day off today so, of course, I had a lie in after a silly night "on the watch" - which was fruitless.

I did see that a flurry must have taken place when I got up. But I didn't see falling snow!

Now, granted, I got up at 9:00am - that's probably taking liberties LOL. I had a great sleep, though!

Thank you.....it's nice to be back! I got up at 5.30 am and by 6 o'clock it was snowing nicely. The side roads were ghastly until about 8.30 when the sun came out and it all melted away. I wish I hadn't to be working as I would have loved to take some pictures and post them here. Still, there is plenty more Winter to come!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 hours ago, festivalking said:

Should learn to keep my mouth shut as it all died after my last message. Yes easterlys are the ticket for southern coasters just so precarious.

I remember living in purbeck about 94 I think, we had tremendous snow that year. Even Upton got some then. Not sure how that came about in terms of where the cold came from East north or North West. All I remember is a front pushed in from France. Great day flying over the Lytchetts on the side of West man at worth Matravers. I remember the pub landlord converting a plastic barrel huge thing he cut it in half long ways and chucked himself shown the hill. The next time he did it all the pub dogs were in it too. Anyway I digress that was the best snow for me in Dorset. 

I guess you're probably referring to the event of 15 February 1994.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/de/reanalysis.aspx?jaar=1994&maand=2&dag=15&uur=0&var=4&map=1&model=cfsr

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/de/reanalysis.aspx?map=1&model=cfsr&var=1&jaar=1994&maand=2&dag=15&uur=0&h=1

Even low lying parts of Devon and Cornwall saw lying snow from that, although near sea level it tended to stick around only for a day or two.  However, I think there's a good chance that on Dartmoor it would have stuck around for about a week.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Hehe noggin 5:30 <-- what's that all about? More fool me that I missed the snow! This winter does feel different from the last few years, we're definitely in a better place for cold.

Could be Feb before we see some action but at least it isn't all Atlantic rain.

Posted

Some pixels off the radar got to me and there are great bid splodges on the patio......of RAIN

The nearest weather station to me says Temp:2.4C and DP: 0.6 so be it. Sounds about right. Even 0.1 degree over Dew Point doesn't work around here unless it's gushing down.

Martyn Hicks has run a good Station for years covering Filton, Bristol http://www.martynhicks.uk/weather/data.php

Edited by kumquat

Posted

Running through the 18Z GFS the outlook looks chilly but dry. Next chance of snow (for our region) on this particular run doesn't look like manifesting itself until past 240 hours and out there, there's no point in looking.

I'll take the dry away as a plus point, also some nice crisp sunny days (interspered with dredgy grey days) as the sun starts to climb higher and makes our daytime a little bit longer.

If we get to anything like this (below) from the ECM at 10 days, then interest will start to peak again.

ECH1-240.GIF?13-0

Edited by kumquat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
3 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I guess you're probably referring to the event of 15 February 1994.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/de/reanalysis.aspx?jaar=1994&maand=2&dag=15&uur=0&var=4&map=1&model=cfsr

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/de/reanalysis.aspx?map=1&model=cfsr&var=1&jaar=1994&maand=2&dag=15&uur=0&h=1

Even low lying parts of Devon and Cornwall saw lying snow from that, although near sea level it tended to stick around only for a day or two.  However, I think there's a good chance that on Dartmoor it would have stuck around for about a week.

Fantastic that's the one. Was a glorious day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Of all my years lurking I have rarely visited this thread. What an idiot I am! 

I used to live in Keynsham/Mangotsfield nr Bristol but now I'm in Swindon. They are not that far apart really but what a difference in weather. 

I didn't have high hopes for yesterday, I never do when snow is predicted. But we got a nice dusting and my work colleagues we're happy. I rarely tell them anything, they think I'm nuts! 

Anyway, this thread is awesome and here is to the rest of winter, another whole 2.5 months to go! 

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Current Conditions 

1.8 °C

Feels Like -0.1 °C

4.0 km/h Wind from WNW 
Gusts 6.4 km/h

Dew Point: 1.0°C

Posted

Thursday evening gave quite a few showers of graupel, sleet, and snow (often all within a couple minutes) here, though turned slightly more sleety with more rain in despite the temperature at the surface falling.

There was ~2cm on the nearby hill that reaches 247m. Dartmoor had a bit more.

Windy, mostly sunny and reached 6.1C yesterday.

Frost hollow in full force this morning, -3.8C here (min -3.9C) and only this area seems to be below freezing in Devon. Looking at xcweather, the lowest observations on that are -3C and up in Scotland.

Posted

Right, hopefully my temperature today won't reach a crazy 15c I have given it some cover. Hopefully it shouldn't warm up too much in there, but will see later I guess. If anyone else has a better idea that won't cost me loads, I'm all ears!

IMG_5425.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Sunny. Scattered Cloud. 4.2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, not a bad morning here, dry, scattered clouds and currently 3.6c. Overnight it got down to -1.3, so a frosty one but quickly warming up.

Posted

Been up to the top of the moors where there is still some snow left. Very nice too.

20170114_093455.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer
Just now, festivalking said:

Been up to the top of the moors where there is still some snow left. Very nice too.

20170114_093455.jpg

Stunning place up there at the best of times but when it's snowed ..... it's just beautiful.

had a great run up there yesterday battling the winds and can't wait to do it again.

take care mate and enjoy your weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

warming up here now 5.2c dew 2.0c 

back to chasing 10 day charts for the next watered down cold spell.

fromey

Edited by fromey
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, fromey said:

warming up here now 5.2c dew 2.0c 

back to chasing 10 day charts for the next watered down cold spell.

fromey

Yup, pants winter!! I'm not even bothering now, if something pops up then I'll consider it a bonus!

• Like 1

Posted

6 1c here. Supposedly. Sun and temp gauges et al. Incidentally when walking up on the higher ground we had a shower thinking might get a cheeky snow flake instead rain. So the milder air is definitely in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Down to 0.1°C this morning.

Temp: 7.9°C - Hum: 77% - Dew: 4.1°C - Bar: 1022.22hPa  - Wind: WNW ~ NW @ 8mph.

Posted

It's a shame EC monthly wasn't showing mild and mobile pattern consistently....would've been the worst winter for 100 years if we go on verification alone :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

7.8c DP 4.0c

the sun is about to hit my bodge job, so it's usefulness will be known imminently 

i can tell you're all dying to know :rofl:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1