Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

@Mapantz are you Dorset12 or Wareham7 on wunderground?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Awesome!! Ka-Ching!

Another thing I was going to mention...

If you're interested in getting Cumulus MX to upload its website template, or have me tinker with a different type of template- for free, you can then have your own simple site to display all your data.

Cumulus uses very little in the way of webspace, and you wouldn't need a super dupere-ton of bandwidth either: https://www.webhost.uk.net/

Shared hosting:

I think (don't quote me) its the equivalent of £1.25 a month if you pay upfront for a year, or its £2.50 a month if you pay monthly.

5GB of bandwidth a month would be plenty!

Just a thought. :)

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Another thing I was going to mention...

If you're interested in getting Cumulus MX to upload its website template, or have me tinker with a different type of template- for free, you can then have your own simple site to display all your data.

Cumulus uses very little in the way of webspace, and you wouldn't need a super dupere-ton of bandwidth either: https://www.webhost.uk.net/

Shared hosting:

I think (don't quote me) its the equivalent of £1.25 a month if you pay upfront for a year, or its £2.50 a month if you pay monthly.

5GB of bandwidth a month would be plenty!

Just a thought. :)

Yeah I've been thinking about doing that, so that's my next step, after putting mx on my synology disk station that I've brought back from work today. Major overkill but better than running my laptop 24/7.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yeah I've been thinking about doing that, so that's my next step, after putting mx on my synology disk station that I've brought back from work today. Major overkill but better than running my laptop 24/7.

Seeing as you have an iPhone too, you may as well take advantage of this: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/wunderstation-weather-from/id906099986?mt=8

They still don't do it for Android :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
46 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Well I've seen some sleet in the rain with the odd wett flake (yesterday). I hope you profit tonight from showers Festivalking, as I think that's our lot now for a while. Disappointed that the easterly looks doomed, as that's really the only way we benefit down here. But then when has an easterly modelled more than 5 days out ever verified.... NEVER!!

Should learn to keep my mouth shut as it all died after my last message. Yes easterlys are the ticket for southern coasters just so precarious.

I remember living in purbeck about 94 I think, we had tremendous snow that year. Even Upton got some then. Not sure how that came about in terms of where the cold came from East north or North West. All I remember is a front pushed in from France. Great day flying over the Lytchetts on the side of West man at worth Matravers. I remember the pub landlord converting a plastic barrel huge thing he cut it in half long ways and chucked himself shown the hill. The next time he did it all the pub dogs were in it too. Anyway I digress that was the best snow for me in Dorset. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, festivalking said:

Should learn to keep my mouth shut as it all died after my last message. Yes easterlys are the ticket for southern coasters just so precarious.

I remember living in purbeck about 94 I think, we had tremendous snow that year. Even Upton got some then. Not sure how that came about in terms of where the cold came from East north or North West. All I remember is a front pushed in from France. Great day flying over the Lytchetts on the side of West man at worth Matravers. I remember the pub landlord converting a plastic barrel huge thing he cut it in half long ways and chucked himself shown the hill. The next time he did it all the pub dogs were in it too. Anyway I digress that was the best snow for me in Dorset. 

I remember it, I was 11, lived in canford Heath at the time, was a snow day. Amazing. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Seeing as you have an iPhone too, you may as well take advantage of this: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/wunderstation-weather-from/id906099986?mt=8

Bizarrely I can't get my data on there :cc_confused: I'm most likely being an idiot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

well no wind, clear sky, bright moon, you would of thought temps would be in the negatives, nope +1.4c struggling to get a frost!!!

some cold snap

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all. Just been on the model thread and its like a morgue. Was going to post there, but thought I'd share my thoughts in here instead.

I've been a member of Netweather since the early days after the BBC forum closed. Seldom post on here, but regularly check the model thread and regional threads as well as checking the charts and especially the radar. Love a storm and like most people on here I  love snow. I also love statistics so weather appeals to me in so many ways.

With experience comes reasoned judgement. In my social groups I often nowcast; people at work often ask me about what the weather is going to do and I try my best to offer a reasoned opinion without getting too techie; I used to nowcast regularly on Facebook, but keep that to a minimum these days. 

The last week or so the media has been in a frenzy. There have been some eye candy charts from the models. A few people tagged me in posts on Facebook asking for thoughts on whether it would snow yesterday (FWIW i predicted back edge snow and was pleasantly surprised it actually did. I'm glass half full these days). I have a Whatsapp Group called. 'Will I need my sledge?' 

My Whatsapp Group are all a little disappointed in how things have panned out. One of them has a snow scooter! Ive told them all to stand down for now. Take solice in the fact that we dont have endless Atlantic mush. We have 44 days of winter left and dont listen to the media. 

Its really hard not to get really excited when we see decent charts and this place gets whipped up into a frenzy. My advice is believe it when you see it, stay calm and when it does arrive enjoy every minute. My 4 year old saw falling snow for the first time properly yesterday. The excitement she showed will stay with my forever. Hopefully we'll get to build a snowman in the next 6-8 weeks, keep the faith.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Just took a look at your website Mapantz and am really impressed! Had a question, but what weather station do you use? I have an aging cheap Maplin one and yours seems to produce some good observations!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Joneseye said:

Evening all. Just been on the model thread and its like a morgue. Was going to post there, but thought I'd share my thoughts in here instead.

I've been a member of Netweather since the early days after the BBC forum closed. Seldom post on here, but regularly check the model thread and regional threads as well as checking the charts and especially the radar. Love a storm and like most people on here I  love snow. I also love statistics so weather appeals to me in so many ways.

With experience comes reasoned judgement. In my social groups I often nowcast; people at work often ask me about what the weather is going to do and I try my best to offer a reasoned opinion without getting too techie; I used to nowcast regularly on Facebook, but keep that to a minimum these days. 

The last week or so the media has been in a frenzy. There have been some eye candy charts from the models. A few people tagged me in posts on Facebook asking for thoughts on whether it would snow yesterday (FWIW i predicted back edge snow and was pleasantly surprised it actually did. I'm glass half full these days). I have a Whatsapp Group called. 'Will I need my sledge?' 

My Whatsapp Group are all a little disappointed in how things have panned out. One of them has a snow scooter! Ive told them all to stand down for now. Take solice in the fact that we dont have endless Atlantic mush. We have 44 days of winter left and dont listen to the media. 

Its really hard not to get really excited when we see decent charts and this place gets whipped up into a frenzy. My advice is believe it when you see it, stay calm and when it does arrive enjoy every minute. My 4 year old saw falling snow for the first time properly yesterday. The excitement she showed will stay with my forever. Hopefully we'll get to build a snowman in the next 6-8 weeks, keep the faith.

I regularly post in there, have been keeping my distance during this cold spell as models have been so unpredictable over the past few weeks, everything is on the table (for once, except the Atlantic!). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

just caught the local forecast from ian and its mild from tomorrow afternoon until tuesday poss wednesday,  now looking at a cool week after that but nothing of note.

possible SSW near the end of jan according to steve murr, i know its to early but i think this winter could go down as the winter of close but not close enough, a winter of what could have been, i hope im wrong!!

seriously thinking there something wrong with my weather station, no wind clear sky still reading +1.4c!!!!! 

fromey

Edited by fromey

Posted
7 minutes ago, fromey said:

just caught the local forecast from ian and its mild from tomorrow afternoon until tuesday poss wednesday,  now looking at a cool week after that but nothing of note.

possible SSW near the end of jan according to steve murr, i know its to early but i think this winter could go down as the winter of close but not close enough, a winter of what could have been, i hope im wrong!!

seriously thinking there something wrong with my weather station, no wind clear sky still reading +1.4c!!!!! 

fromey

I think the settled and dull weather is set in stone for the next week. Next weekend could be different, however how many times have we seen that this winter?

Really been a winter of nothingness 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, SnowMania said:

Just took a look at your website Mapantz and am really impressed! Had a question, but what weather station do you use? I have an aging cheap Maplin one and yours seems to produce some good observations!

Hi SnowMania! Thanks for the kind comment. I use the Davis Vantage Pro2 with a solar sensor. It's a pricey setup. However, I got mine from a Davis retailer in Germany, at the time of purchase, it was £200 cheaper than the same ones, here in the UK. The price has gone up since, but they are still cheaper than the UK. I'm a bit of a stickler for my own accuracy, so I do check my data against other stations in the area, and also against my manual gauges. :)

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Joneseye said:

What I wouldn't give for my daughter to see snow falling and settling. She's 6 in march and her favourite movie is obviously Frozen, but the best we can build is a sand man, snowman building is as sparse as the 90's!!! And there lie the problem in the Mod thread, myself at times included, all so starved of a decent cold spell, but to make things worse, the NH seems prime for cold at lower latitudes and we were basically promised a front loaded winter, which didn't materialise, so now a good looking D10 chart is like dangling a 99er infront of a straggler on his last legs in the Sahara Desert. Reality is it's just an illusion. I'm pretty peeved I've not seen a flake barely for getting on 5 years!! Criminal! I was saving for vegas, but it looks like that will be going on a visit to Lapland to save face with my princess 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted

Last hope for a flurry will probably die over the Severn,

I got out with my telescope and did an amateur take of the moon through my Samsung at the eyepiece.

Better than snow. But not so crisp

20170113_221717.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Wind 3.1 mph N. Barometer 1018.0 mb, Rising slowly. Temperature 1.6 °C. Rain today 0.0mm. Humidity 82% DP -1.0C

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Hi SnowMania! Thanks for the kind comment. I use the Davis Vantage Pro2 with a solar sensor. It's a pricey setup. However, I got mine from a Davis retailer in Germany, at the time of purchase, it was £200 cheaper than the same ones, here in the UK. The price has gone up since, but they are still cheaper than the UK. I'm a bit of a stickler for my own accuracy, so I do check my data against other stations in the area, and also against my manual gauges. :)

Ah I see! Yeah always been a fan on a Davis weather station, always noted the high price! You go seem to get what you pay for though! Will use your recommendation and have a google! Thanks very much!

Posted
21 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Really hoping this shower doesn't completely die before it reaches my area! Ahh!

I bet Pen-Y-Fan will suck the life out of it.

Posted
56 minutes ago, Joneseye said:

Nice post. All I've ever learned from my years here, Met Monkey and the BBC Snowwatch days were never EVER promise snow to kids, loved ones or work colleagues.

I guess I was lucky growing up in the '70s in East Anglia. Things just aren't the same anymore.

Edited by kumquat
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Wow it has a tiny bit of puff left in it. Please, just let me see one flake fall from the sky :sorry:

Did you see the snow this morning? It was a nice surprise after yesterday's non-event!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

11 minutes ago, kumquat said:

I bet Pen-Y-Fan will suck the life out of it.

Not sure about that, but Fan-Y-Big might...

• Like 1