Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

The cold weather before Christmas saw lower temperatures than this northerly. Topped 6C around 2pm this afternoon and no air frost as yet in this spell. Currently at 4.1C. Talk of temperatures on the lunchtime weather to -4 and -5C in the countryside tonight I feel will be wide of the mark unless we add in the wind chill. That very wind will hold actual temperatures at or near freezing all night unless it drops out. Could be icy though and the odd rogue shower could make it down across us again from the NNW. All ends up your standard UK Winter short cold snap and nothing more.

Also I see that the 12zs so far continue the slow decline in the hope of extended cold weather as the earlier this week expected cold Easterly for next week looks increasingly doomed to fantasy although I daren't go in there and say that

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 6

Posted

Temp here currently 2.7C, came back from Birmingham earlier and just heavy rain showers with a little sleet mixed in but the temp was higher then. Looks like any showers that would be heading this way are not making it over the Welsh mountains.

Not dared to look in the MAD thread today, so the day has been relatively stress free!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, MrNooo said:

Temp here currently 2.7C, came back from Birmingham earlier and just heavy rain showers with a little sleet mixed in but the temp was higher then. Looks like any showers that would be heading this way are not making it over the Welsh mountains.

Not dared to look in the MAD thread today, so the day has been relatively stress free!!

Best you don't, chasing shadows again in the 10 day time frame

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

One thing I noticed this afternoon, rain showers  have no trouble making  it across wales and hitting here, curious that, if it was still cold enough for snow that shower would have diverted around my location lol :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Temp here 2.6 light rain/sleet shower here an hour ago. 

• Like 1

Posted

Some shower activity down here coming in off the Irish Sea.  Radar suggests snow but with Temps above 2c more likely sleet if we get a bullseye.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Hope you enjoyed winter 16/17.

After the weekend, it looks like an extended spell of dry, calm & cool weather, although nothing notably cold is likely.

Average fayre temp wise, drier than average PPN wise.

Back to chasing Day 10 EC Det output in the MOD thread now.

Me?  Nah, I'm going to look into booking a couple of holidays this year now.  

Lanzarote in July looks increasingly likely, just need to decide my November hols destination now........

Edited by AWD
  • Like 4

Posted

Light snow shower / flurry here 

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 1

Posted

heavy blustery shower here now. On radar it seemed to originate over Blackdown hills from nowhere perhaps a local orographic effect

Edited by Barbel
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like the welsh mountains are up to there old tricks again eating away at the precip somewhere could get some flurries, most likely McDonalds :rofl: as precip is coming across the  channel now.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Well I did actually see some snowflakes yesterday, unfortunately they arrived after six hours of rain and did last long or settle here, however overnight there was a snow shower which froze a smattering on my car this morning and travelling between Dorchester  , Yeovil and Bridport today there were the remains of some settled stuff on then higher parts. So at least I have actually seen a kind of snow this winter. Despite the demise of the proposed full on easterly next week, I feel confident that yesterday is not the only snow chance we will get this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Does anyone know why such small mountains have such a large effect on snow showers, yet these very same mountains don't stop rain showers?

• Like 1

Posted

Wintery showers continuing in the south West.  Seemingly forming overland. Sweet spot east Cornwall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Does anyone know why such small mountains have such a large effect on snow showers, yet these very same mountains don't stop rain showers?

Lol MP-R bloody good point !!

Posted
2 hours ago, fromey said:

Best you don't, chasing shadows again in the 10 day time frame

Chasing rainbows, I reckon. It amazes me how so many folk spend hours chasing the the dream, 240 hours away in a chaos driven environment, which will always change. Fortunately I have better things to do with my life.

Posted
12 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I thought that the suction monsters, that live in small hill such the moisture out of the air. They are different to the hoolie monsters that live in the bigger hills that blow into the atmosphere and generate moisture over the hills.

I could be wrong I was told this as a child, MANY years ago, but seems plausible to me.

To prove my point. Currently over Bangor (NW) there's a decent stream of incoming snow showers, it is angled for here. It will be sucked dry by the "suction" monsters before it arrives into Dorset. I rest my case M'laud.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I had lower daytime maxes at the beginning of December and the beginning of this month than today. There were also 5 days in a row of well below freezing at  nighttime during the first week of January too. I didn't think it felt particularly cold even with the wind, certainly nothing like the charts had been showing prior to it. I certainly didn't expect any snow, but I did expect it to be colder than it has been.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I had lower daytime maxes at the beginning of December and the beginning of this month than today. There were also 5 days in a row of well below freezing at  nighttime during the first week of January too. I didn't think it felt particularly cold even with the wind, certainly nothing like the charts had been showing prior to it. I certainly didn't expect any snow, but I did expect it to be colder than it has been.

I think we will get some colder nights next week than this :db:cold spell

• Like 1

Posted

Snow forecasting a mugs game. Yesterday snow predicted all day here and in the end all we had was 3 flakes in the rain. Tonight a dry night they say. Instead we've had 3 snow showers in the last hour. Good sized flakes. Settling but the showers are only 5 minutes in duration so nothing substantial. More to come hopefully!

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Snow forecasting a mugs game. Yesterday snow predicted all day here and in the end all we had was 3 flakes in the rain. Tonight a dry night they say. Instead we've had 3 snow showers in the last hour. Good sized flakes. Settling but the showers are only 5 minutes in duration so nothing substantial. More to come hopefully!

Well I've seen some sleet in the rain with the odd wett flake (yesterday). I hope you profit tonight from showers Festivalking, as I think that's our lot now for a while. Disappointed that the easterly looks doomed, as that's really the only way we benefit down here. But then when has an easterly modelled more than 5 days out ever verified.... NEVER!!

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

Concur with the comments about temperatures... We reached a 6C max today and after dropping to 2C, temperatures are back up to 4C. So much for a cold snap!!

Having a couple very light rain/sleet showers at the moment too, despite radar suggesting snow. Guess that'd be down to the fact temp forecast from met office says 3C at 9 and 2C at 10, so we're a couple degrees warmer than forecast:nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

@karlos1983 Have you got the UV sensor addon for your station?

No mate. What is it? Are they expensive.. I'll have any add on I can get. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, karlos1983 said:

No mate. What is it? Are they expensive.. I'll have any add on I can get. 

https://mendipweather.co.uk/additional-sensors-65992/oregon-scientific-unv800-ultra-violet-index-sensor-for-the-wmr-series

:)

• Like 1

Posted