Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

This was over an hour ago... How are those beefy showers over south wales doing... :rofl:

Plenty of hours left till the morning, ask me again in 7 hours. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Just now, Mapantz said:

It looks as though it has only sent one reading, at 10:45pm

Does your laptop go to sleep? Cumulus doesn't like the sleep function, i've got all that turned off on my system, just the screensaver enabled.

Nope screen been on constant. MX is showing correct data..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Nope screen been on constant. MX is showing correct data..

It might be an issue with Wunderground, being a new station. I presume all of your settings are ok in the Wunderground part of Cumulus? You can try shutting it down and restarting it. The correct way is to do CTRL +C while the app window is in focus. Don't forget to run as administrator when you start it again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

When do you fly out NK? 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

It might be an issue with Wunderground, being a new station. I presume all of your settings are ok in the Wunderground part of Cumulus? You can try shutting it down and restarting it. The correct way is to do CTRL +C while the app window is in focus. Don't forget to run as administrator when you start it again.

settings in my standard cumulus? ive not put anything in there

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

settings in my standard cumulus? ive not put anything in there

In Cumulus MX..

2017-01-12 (8).png

If you're using that, you shouldn't have the standard Cumulus open at the same time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Temperatures finally on the way down after being stuck just over 2°C for most of the evening. Currently 1.4°C.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

In Cumulus MX..

2017-01-12 (8).png

If you're using that, you shouldn't have the standard Cumulus open at the same time.

ok sorted i think, I will see if it updates through the night now

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

ok sorted i think, I will see if it updates through the night now

Bingo! -0.7?

Yep - I saw it go to -0.8C :)

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
33 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

EURO4 rolling out...

17011300_1218.gif17011306_1218.gif17011312_1218.gif

It seems to want to offer up an overnight snow threat for CSE and one tomorrow morning. In the latter case, this is drifting towards the middle of the day, so NMM 18z says rain:

nmmuk-1-17-0.png

In the earlier case, the band is less organised and so the issue is more whether it gets anywhere near let alone crossing the south coast, hence it is not supported by NMM. However, Euro4 inexplicably can't help introduce a pocket of rain over here even at 3-6am. Well it's currently -0.1C, which is the coldest temperature I've seen anyone post in this region, so it can do a hike with that idea.

Update 11:55pm -0.4C, has dropped another 0.3C in the time it took me to sort that post out.

Edited by The Enforcer
Updating Temperature
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

It seems to want to offer up an overnight snow threat for CSE and one tomorrow morning. In the latter case, this is drifting towards the middle of the day, so NMM 18z says rain:

nmmuk-1-17-0.png

In the earlier case, the band is less organised and so the issue is more whether it gets anywhere near let alone crossing the south coast, hence it is not supported by NMM. However, Euro4 inexplicably can't help introduce a pocket of rain over here even at 3-6am. Well it's currently -0.1C, which is the coldest temperature I've seen anyone post in this region, so it can do a hike with that idea.

Its -0.4c here. Covering of snow on the top of the car. Grass also slushy accumulation lol 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Evening all, well that all turned into a bit of an anti-climax, we did get snow and it did settle so I guess I've got less to moan about than lots of you. More than a little disappointed though that the METO promise of heavy snow didn't happen. Just been outside and it's blinking freezing out there, everything is frozen solid, my deck is like an ice rink. Currently it's -1.8 with a dp of -3.9 so if any of those welsh showers survive the mountains and Bristol channel, it should be snowy.

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry members of this great thread, you haven't stumbled into the technical thread, I is just fick!! But I'm now online and dangerous courtesy of our quad chopper flying weather data techno guru mapantz!

what that effectively means is, now that I can collect and share all my weather data, we will have an extremely benign 12 months of weather, I apologise  in advance 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

It's still 2.9C here, so if the showers stop moving either side of me, they will probably only be rain anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Is there some sort of black hole running down from Humberside, Stoke, Abergavenny & Cardiff?

Any showers that reach that line suddenly dissipate.

It's bloody hard work getting a snow grain here nowadays.  Roll on summer & the convective season, at least storms can get nearer me & be seen from hills easier.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Sorry members of this great thread, you haven't stumbled into the technical thread, I is just fick!! But I'm now online and dangerous courtesy of our quad chopper flying weather data techno guru mapantz!

what that effectively means is, now that I can collect and share all my weather data, we will have an extremely benign 12 months of weather, I apologise  in advance 

My turn to be thick now....all you folk with weather stations, especially those connected to wunderground, in your experience how correct is the information from stations? Are they calibrated in some way? Is there any way of verifying the reports? Asking because I'm taking stats from one down the road & NK reckoned earlier that the temp was wrong - is there a way for me to check this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

1.5 degrees and raining here. Hoped tonight would be snow if anything, but clearly not. Disappointing. 5 year wait for snow continues.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 minute ago, jethro said:

My turn to be thick now....all you folk with weather stations, especially those connected to wunderground, in your experience how correct is the information from stations? Are they calibrated in some way? Is there any way of verifying the reports? Asking because I'm taking stats from one down the road & NK reckoned earlier that the temp was wrong - is there a way for me to check this?

Without a doubt the one at Wellington School gets the temperature right, but there is a clear fault with the dew point readings. They are always several degrees off. So no - not all are accurate.

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, jethro said:

I guess it depends on the brand as there are some rubbish ones out there. Mines an Oregon and I was informed that they are very accurate. You can get some cheap nasty stations, so unless it's your station jethro you'll never really know 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Without a doubt the one at Wellington School gets the temperature right, but there is a clear fault with the dew point readings. They are always several degrees off. So no - not all are accurate.

Thank you. I guess I'll have to presume it's vaguely accurate, certainly more accurate than my old greenhouse thermometer and my shiver measurement. I can definitely say it's below zero, frozen solid.

• Like 1

Posted

Check me out then!!! Lol 

IMG_5406.PNG

Really peeved I can't find my rain gauge!! One last look tomorrow, failing that it's eBay time! 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Yup, it's raining. It wasn't cold enough for snow in the rain band, then it probably became cold enough for snow when it cleared, and now the temperatures have risen again and it's started raining. You couldn't make it up lol

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Really peeved I can't find my rain gauge!! One last look tomorrow, failing that it's eBay time! 

https://mendipweather.co.uk/rain-gauges/oregon-scientific-pcr800-rain-guage-for-wmr-series?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=COGairHtvdECFe4Q0wodlroLBw

I bought a Vantage Vue console from them at a ridiculously good price.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
4 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

Yup, it's raining. It wasn't cold enough for snow in the rain band, then it probably became cold enough for snow when it cleared, and now the temperatures have risen again and it's started raining. You couldn't make it up lol

Same here in Cardiff. Not cold enough, then cold enough but no precip, now slightly milder and a massive shower of rain/sleet. Uch.

• Like 1