Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 11/1/2017 ---->

A.J

Posted
36 minutes ago, Chul said:

BBC weather has just upgraded me to 2 hours of snow from an hour of snizzle........I'm confused, everyone sounding like nothing's going to happen and then this happens..........my nerves are shredded :nea:

image.png

Lol i know how you feel! It has been 5 years since I've seen proper snow in Southampton :-(. Lets hope things pan out well for us Southerners this afternoon. Hopefully we will be on the right side of marginal..and that the rain is heavy enough for evaporative cooling to turn everything white (even at low levels).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Wow, big temp drop in 30 mins, now down to 5.8c dp 5.5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

It will be too late IMBY.  The PPN is starting to clear Wales now (aside from patchy, drizzly bits) & the cold air hasn't undercut quick enough.

Those further E/SE have a chance still, although even here, altitude will be key & it will be a relatively brief affair.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Dropping rapidly now

IMG_2243.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Temp now down to 2.3 with dew just sub zero at -0.1. Rain seems heavier now, the wind is SW. Looking at that radar pic posted just now it seems we still have quite a lot of precipitation to work through, hopefully temps will continue to drop.

Posted
2 minutes ago, jethro said:

Temp now down to 2.3 with dew just sub zero at -0.1. Rain seems heavier now, the wind is SW. Looking at that radar pic posted just now it seems we still have quite a lot of precipitation to work through, hopefully temps will continue to drop.

That is very close to turning to snow then 

Posted

This is proper nerve jangling. Such a shame this wasn't a channel low passing through entrenched cold air as a few places would have had a decent dumping.

Still hopeful of some back edge snow here in Newbs... although are we the wrong side of the M4?? I'm currently stalking the other regional threads to see what's occuring..

• Like 1

Posted

Rapid temp drop, now 5.2c

make that 4.8c 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
10 minutes ago, AWD said:

It will be too late IMBY.  The PPN is starting to clear Wales now (aside from patchy, drizzly bits) & the cold air hasn't undercut quick enough.

Those further E/SE have a chance still, although even here, altitude will be key & it will be a relatively brief affair.

I sadly concur with you. The band is almost through the far south west and no snow has fallen yet on the moors well from the webcams I can see. Only hope are the showers now which might might not pack in behind. Weather app shows it well with the MO saying chance of ppn after the main band going through is around 50%. Not this time then onwards to the next.

Posted
1 minute ago, festivalking said:

I sadly concur with you. The band is almost through the far south west and no snow has fallen yet on the moors well from the webcams I can see. Only hope are the showers now which might might not pack in behind. Weather app shows it well with the MO saying chance of ppn after the main band going through is around 50%. Not this time then onwards to the next.

It wasn't forecast to fall yet, back edge snow ...moors snow was forecast from showers later 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Down to 2c, dew point also dropped to -0.4c turning sleety now but still mostly rain. I'm sooooo glad a bloke up the road has a weather station linked to wunderground, days like today it gives me something else to twitch over and offers a glimmer of hope :-)

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISTOKEST4#history/s20170101/e20170101/mdaily

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Up to 12.2mm already. Temperature still falling slowly. 6.4°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
4 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Still just sleet here no sign of it making the final transition :cray:

Another 12 hours of my life I will never see again ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

It wasn't forecast to fall yet, back edge snow ...moors snow was forecast from showers later 

Lower down yes but up top from 2pm on wards. I'm sure conditions will be perfect later but I'm not sure the ppn (via showers) will not be as prolific as was predicted to take advantage. Showers are fickle though and can appear out of nowhere. So not the snow narnia i thought may be a smattering and I would of taken that at the start of the week!

Edited by festivalking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Latest Netweather radar update suggests what the majority of us have been saying, quite sleety here again tho mostly rain.

Posted

Crikey, I can't keep up with temp drop, 4.3c now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow
26 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Your all taking to much notice of these weather apps. They are next to useless and not meant for enthusiasts like us with time better spent on looking at radars and temperature gauges. My own take is that yes some with altitude will see some snow soon but lower lying areas may end up disappointed. I think there's a far greater chance over the SE after dark. We might get lucky with some snow showers overnight though with ice becoming a major issue from quite early this evening as the rain/snow mix clears.

That is a great post Martin, as a new poster I didn't want to start telling people not to place too much faith in these weather apps for fear of being told to do one before making friends!! :fool::sorry:

Am I right in thinking these apps only use raw data?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Lower down yes but up top from 2pm on wards. I'm sure conditions will be perfect later but I'm not sure the ppn (via showers) will be as prolific as was predicted to take advantage. Showers are fickle though and can appear out of nowhere. So not the snow narnia i thought may be a smattering and I would of taken that at the start of the week!

You have better chance than us further east that are not east enough for this because of your exposure to north winds. dont see showers making it inland.

Edited by Nights King