Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell 11th January onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

:wallbash:there's a saying where I come from you can always tell a wessy but you can't tell a wessy nowt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Haven't had the chance to read the thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned but thundersnow strikes have been showing on radar for western ireland, scotland and the northern midlands this afternoon and some in northern scotland yesterday. Pretty exciting. I've only experienced thundersnow twice in my life before, but once seen/heard it is never forgotten. If we do indeed get proper snow in the south east (I have my doubts but we will see) and not just a dusting then I want the full works, thundersnow, the lot! 

Thundersnow.jpg

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Its turning to snow here! Woooooo, didnt expect it to start turning this early!

• Like 2

Posted

Its officially turned to Snow here on the South East Coast of the Island!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
37 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Haven't had the chance to read the thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned but thundersnow strikes have been showing on radar for western ireland, scotland and the northern midlands this afternoon and some in northern scotland yesterday. Pretty exciting. I've only experienced thundersnow twice in my life before, but once seen/heard it is never forgotten. If we do indeed get proper snow in the south east (I have my doubts but we will see) and not just a dusting then I want the full works, thundersnow, the lot! 

Thundersnow.jpg

I wrote about this today but it was from the showers off the sea, not the frontal stuff over SE Britain, I included some others on the community 's quotes http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7897;sess= 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, sorepaw1 said:

I don't think it's the uk cities that can't cope with snow. It's the people driving vehicles not equipped to deal with it. 

For example if you .youtube winter tyres verses normal tyres you will see it makes the difference between having a accident and not. Or getting stuck or not.

Even the BMW  drivers would benefit from winter tyres.

It makes a really important difference having 4 winter tyres fitted. Do not fit just 2 winter tyres to the drive wheels.

Always fit 4 to the vehicle that's a must.

I  live very remote and drive a subaru forester All Wheel Drive with winter tyres fitted ... I'm not been big headed but I can get up icy hills and 20 inches of  drifting snow. 

Please readers on here if you can afford winter tyres between November and April it's a must... it may save your insurance premiums. But most importantly save your life and others.

Take care and enjoy the weather. 

Yes winter tyres are far better and when I started driving in the mid 80s many people had them,i guess that was because we had worse winters in that period.What causes gridlock in snow however is because we have far more vehicles on the road but also what most people do not realise is modern car tyres. In the mid 80s and earlier most cars had tyres at 155 to 165 width even sporty ford xr3s only had 185 mm wide tyres.Today even little cars like a focus or corsa have tyres at 225 and sporty audis and bmws have 265s or wider.When driving in snow it is much better with narrow tyres so where an 80s car would push through snow with narrow tyres modern ones just skid..I however don't have that problem,the Range rover copes well and if I am in the old van,i put on the chains,its amazing how much snow you can get through with chains on.

• Like 2

Posted

Snow is proper coming down and its setting!, even on the ground! woooooo

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
Just now, Stormyking said:

Snow is proper coming down and its setting!, even on the ground! woooooo

any photos?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

any photos?

I do indeed, its not great quality, as its off my camera phone, i shall doing proper photos tomorrow morning for the scenes with my proper Camera :)15991669_10210062927428644_1367188484_o.jpg

Edited by Stormyking
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Spikey M said:

Are chains not illegal?

Snowchains are not illegal,so long as you do not damage the road surface,ie preferably do not use on tarmac with no snow although they will not damage the road but you couldonly drive slow on tarmac anyway.You would only actually put them on if you needed them,if the motor just skidded,if you have never tried them you will be amazed and you can get a reasonable pair  for about 30 quid.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well cold air arrived today but no snow. Seen some silly news items over a little bit of snow. embarrassing really. What is the real threat is the storm surge down the east coast. Last time it flooded the news was cut off totally over the expected death of Mandela. One of worst cases of getting the news priorities wrong I've witnessed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

It's reverted back to a bit of a sleety mess now as the intensity of the ppn has died down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Snowing in Thurrock and I am so excited.:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Snow for the first time in nearly 4 years, my god this has been a wait, finally!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Settling snow!!!!! Yay!!!! It's been a long time!!

• Like 1

Posted

Woke up to 2 inches of the white stuff today. We had blizzards last night. Today only the occasional flurry and the air is dead calm, plenty of sunshine. Temp has now dropped to below freezing, no sign of the weather that we've had warnings about.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jcweather said:

Settling snow!!!!! Yay!!!! It's been a long time!!

I see you Essex guys are getting excited,just been to Grays this morning ,no snow then but the guy at the shop said you hadn't had snow for at least 4 years,oh I guess you are craving for 1987..