Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
14 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Really? many UK cities don't have a great track record for coping with a tiny bit of snow

I don't think it's the uk cities that can't cope with snow. It's the people driving vehicles not equipped to deal with it. 

For example if you .youtube winter tyres verses normal tyres you will see it makes the difference between having a accident and not. Or getting stuck or not.

Even the BMW  drivers would benefit from winter tyres.

It makes a really important difference having 4 winter tyres fitted. Do not fit just 2 winter tyres to the drive wheels.

Always fit 4 to the vehicle that's a must.

I  live very remote and drive a subaru forester All Wheel Drive with winter tyres fitted ... I'm not been big headed but I can get up icy hills and 20 inches of  drifting snow. 

Please readers on here if you can afford winter tyres between November and April it's a must... it may save your insurance premiums. But most importantly save your life and others.

Take care and enjoy the weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 minute ago, sorepaw1 said:

I don't think it's the uk cities that can't cope with snow. It's the people driving vehicles not equipped to deal with it. 

For example if you .youtube winter tyres verses normal tyres you will see it makes the difference between having a accident and not. Or getting stuck or not.

It makes a really important difference having 4 winter tyres fitted. Do not fit just 2 winter tyres to the drive wheels.

I  live very remote and drive a subaru forester All Wheel Drive with winter tyres fitted ... I'm not been big headed but I can get up icy hills and 20 inches of  drifting snow. 

Please readers on here if you can afford winter tyres between November and April it's a must... it may save your insurance premiums. But most importantly save your life and others.

I've got mine on, although I'm not sure I'll see any snow this time. still good for the wet and the ice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

People are not going to fork out money for winter tryes on the off chance that it might snow. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

I've got mine on, although I'm not sure I'll see any snow this time. still good for the wet and the ice

Indeed  they are good in wet icy weather.  And work exceptionally well in temperatures of up to 7.oC.

I would say the likelihood of the Easterly back end of next week will be interesting. Not much ppn for inland areas away from the East.

Edited by sorepaw1

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

People are not going to fork out money for winter tryes on the off chance that it might snow. 

They aren't just for snow. The rubber compound is designed for temperatures of up to 7.oC. for wet weather and cold tarmac.

And what price would you put on your life.

Posted
6 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

I completely agree, I have a 4 wheel drive rav that is ok with normal tyres but it's defiantly no better at going down an icey hill, changing all tyres to winter ones was a great choice especially as my work is on a farm off the beaten track.I actually use these through the summer aswell to avoid the costs of 2 sets, they are around 10% less effective than a standard tyre in the summer but probably more than 60% effective as soon as you have any ice or snow and are more effective through out most of winter when we have any temps 8 degrees or below. Highly recommend everyone gets winter tyres and if you can't affoard it, don't try and go out driving with standard tyres because you either crash or at the very least block the road. I didn't appreciate the noraml 30minute drive home a couple of years back taking 5 hours due to people not being able to get up a hill.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

They aren't just for snow. The rubber compound is designed for temperatures of up to 7.oC. for wet weather and cold tarmac.

And what price would you put on your life.

Simple solution - don't drive when it snows. There is a reason winter tryes are not mandatory in the UK - there is simply no need for them.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Simple solution - don't drive when it snows. 

I don't think it's quite as simple as that is it.

There at best 1 or 2 days ,then its only hours that the majority of the UK is disrupted by adverse weather,esp in the big cities.It would be a total waste of money by the authorities to cater for such a short ,unpredictable period.It would be much cheaper ,easier and enjoyable if other than the very needed emergency service ,transport staff etc just stayed at home and went slrdging with the kids.

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Simple solution - don't drive when it snows. There is a reason winter tryes are not mandatory in the UK - there is simply no need for them.

Really use some common. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

I don't think it's quite as simple as that is it.

Of course it is. Bar very cold spells like December 2010, snow isn't going to last very long at low levels. 9 times out of 10 it will be gone within 24 hours. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

Of course it is. Bar very cold spells like December 2010, snow isn't going to last very long at low levels. 9 times out of 10 it will be gone within 24 hours. 

There not just for snow how many times lol

But I understand what you mean.

Put it this way if you youtube winter tyres you may have a better understanding. 

Take care in your all season tyres.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate persistent snow here now.

Edit;starting to settle 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Moderate persistent snow here now.

Edit;starting to settle 

I'm seeing your snow on the  rainfall radar. Looking good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
48 minutes ago, cheese said:

Cycle helmets aren't mandatory yet people chose to wear them. We can chose to put winter tyres on our own car to make it safer in low temps, wet winter weather, on ice and if it snows. This is safer for me, my passengers and others. Many people have to still drive to work when it snows. There isn't the same need for some parts of the UK, as in Europe where decent snowfall is more likely but I think winter tyres are great, especially for areas where public transport isn't an option. 

Looking more wintry on the radar mid Wales to Peak District, all a bit slower to shift SE than forecast yesterday

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Sleet in the Cotswolds now becoming more snowy every minute. 

• Like 2

Posted

This was the scene of my farm land earlier.  It's hard to predict how much snow east coast fringes are going to get.

No snow here as yet maybe after 7pm a few showers may crop up.

20161229_160700.jpg

Edited by sorepaw1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Cycle helmets aren't mandatory yet people chose to wear them. We can chose to put winter tyres on our own car to make it safer in low temps, wet winter weather, on ice and if it snows. This is safer for me, my passengers and others. Many people have to still drive to work when it snows. There isn't the same need for some parts of the UK, as in Europe where decent snowfall is more likely but I think winter tyres are great, especially for areas where public transport isn't an option. 

Looking more wintry on the radar mid Wales to Peak District, all a bit slower to shift SE than forecast yesterday

If you are able to convince millions of drives in the UK to pay a hefty sum for winter tyres for those reasons then good luck. Don't think it will happen though. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I should of really thought about this, if it snows and settles here, all of my shoes have holes in and i have to wait till the end of January to get a new pair of shoes! So im screwed basically.

However I wouldnt really care, as i just want to see some snow! Its been too long, so fingers crossed tonight delivers!