Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell 11th January onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Quite suprised to find that it's still plus 4.5 c outside an hour ago. Was expecting to wake up to cold today.

The precipitation seems quite disorganised to the west.

Posted

well cold rain does not a winter make so it can do one now, haha, any hint of snow has been washed away in the forecasts today, heavy rain this afternoon, a wet day all day sunday, rain on tuesday, i feel a close but no cigar momment comming on, i will admit though its been a fasinating few days reading peoples views and opinions on potential snow fall and look forward to seeing pics etc, my one shot at seeing snow this year will be in december when we take kids to Lapland.  good luck to those who want and get to see some snow over the next cpl of days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Pretty confident that elevated areas of bucks and beds, I.e chiltern regions could well see the white stuff. Going to perhaps be a similar event to Boxing Day 2014 where conditions were just cold enough to turn it from a washout to a whiteout within minutes! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
3 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Pretty confident that elevated areas of bucks and beds, I.e chiltern regions could well see the white stuff. Going to perhaps be a similar event to Boxing Day 2014 where conditions were just cold enough to turn it from a washout to a whiteout within minutes! 

I remember being frozen in down there in 2009 when we had a massive dump in similar circumstances. The a41 dual carriageway  past Berko and Hemel Hemstead turned into a 16 mile sea of red brake lights and some people were there most of the night.

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone, just grey, raw and wet here in North East Wales.:nonono:
Mind you, I did see at least a couple of blobs of sleet earlier when out with the dog, and the main snow event (if its gonna happen here) is forecast from this evening onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Southern rain area matching quite well at 10z with model fields

MEt office warning for snow just hanging on at Yellow but button is poised for an Amber depending on how this develops as it pulls SE across London and Home Counties. Very low prob of snow to low levels in these areas but the impacts would be high. Keep watching the radar today

model10z.png

mradar10z.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Cold air finally arriving here but light rain at times and no Snow or as we used to call it on Here No.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
30 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Southern rain area matching quite well at 10z with model fields

MEt office warning for snow just hanging on at Yellow but button is poised for an Amber depending on how this develops as it pulls SE across London and Home Counties. Very low prob of snow to low levels in these areas but the impacts would be high. Keep watching the radar today

model10z.png

mradar10z.png

Iv always been uncertain of low level snow, thin if It's heavy later then it could happen. 

I'm in the Cotswolds working until 6:30 so hoping I will see some. Just not sur how much? Think an inch possible?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Iv always been uncertain of low level snow, thin if It's heavy later then it could happen. 

I'm in the Cotswolds working until 6:30 so hoping I will see some. Just not sur how much? Think an inch possible?

there is the potential for several cms over the hills 4-6 pm looking most likely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looks liek we are on the edge of the colder air. Temps rising again now and more importantly so is the dew point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Cold, sleety rain showers here!! Get in! Just what I've been waiting for all winter.

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

Cold, sleety rain showers here!! Get in! Just what I've been waiting for all winter.

you can see the brighter echoes on the radar of the line going through Leeds and to the SW

1201radaryorks.png

Posted

Hope for tomorrow for eastern Britain 

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for those posts Jo

First snow showing on the Flash web cam but not sure about the Cat and Fiddle (few mins ago) it may be just turning to snow there, nothing on the Buxton cam but poorish visibility with high ground not visible.

http://www.derbyshireheritage.co.uk/Menu/webcams/camlist.php

It is now snowing Cat and Fiddle and much whiter in this short time since my last post at Flash, ? on Harpur Hill on the A6 above Buxton just now?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A bit lower here rain has turned to sleet as the cooler air moves in.

Temp 1.6c

Dp 0.9c

WC 0.5c

Edit; The odd flake mixed in now.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Thanks for those posts Jo

First snow showing on the Flash web cam but not sure about the Cat and Fiddle (few mins ago) it may be just turning to snow there, nothing on the Buxton cam but poorish visibility with high ground not visible.

http://www.derbyshireheritage.co.uk/Menu/webcams/camlist.php

It is now snowing Cat and Fiddle and much whiter in this short time since my last post at Flash, ? on Harpur Hill on the A6 above Buxton just now?

cat and fiddle one is great . oooooh squeak, 

• Like 1

Posted

Well I was hopeful  for here but seems the models are downgrading it now.  I am glad they are as I may have to drive to pembury hostpital later on today.  3 week old baby granddaughter may be admitted so don't want to drive in snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Its either stopped or turned to rain now, not expecting anything decent, just going to catch the bus over the hill tops though to investigate whats going on.