Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell 11th January onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
17 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

So what's happened to Thurs/Fri as main days for snow risk? Latest Beeb forecasts show rain in south with snow showers in North.

Only yday things looked 'better' for snow almost anywhere. So how can people trust charts 10 days out, as evidenced now in Mod disc thread? Baffled!

I don't think there has ever been a decent risk of snow in the south? I'm just looking at yesterday's ECM run for the south and it's very similar to tonight's. 

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Probably meant 2013, and to be fair many places haven't seen any snow since then.

People just have such short memories on here, theres been quite a bit of snow since then and even in last winter there was snowfall quite widely if albeit it was an snow event which never even meant to happen and all the forecasts indicated it was going to be the coldest night since March 2013 with clear skies and severe frosts but what we got instead was a waved occulded front in the front which produced many hours of snowfall down the spine of the country. Unfortunately for here, it was just a tad too marginal so despite many hours of snowfall, we only got 2CM's but the Pennines I think got quite a fair bit tough. Think it happened on the 16th/17th Jan and if you look back at the charts you would not imagine there was quite a snow event taking place on them dates.

There has been other occasions of some snow events but the problem has been they been quite brief in nature so people have clearly forgotten they have occured!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

People just have such short memories on here, theres been quite a bit of snow since then and even in last winter there was snowfall quite widely if albeit it was an snow event which never even meant to happen and all the forecasts indicated it was going to be the coldest night since March 2013 with clear skies and severe frosts but what we got instead was a waved occulded front in the front which produced many hours of snowfall down the spine of the country. Unfortunately for here, it was just a tad too marginal so despite many hours of snowfall, we only got 2CM's but the Pennines I think got quite a fair bit tough. Think it happened on the 16th/17th Jan and if you look back at the charts you would not imagine there was quite a snow event taking place on them dates.

There has been other occasions of some snow events but the problem has been they been quite brief in nature so people have clearly forgotten they have occured!

I don't really know what point you're trying to make or how it is relevant to my post. A number of places have not seen any settling snow since 2013.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Just text someone about massive snowfest in Stockport thu to Sat, and St Albans snowfest next Wed and Thurs, but did say uncertainty with 2nd one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/peak-district#?tab=mountainWeather

Peak District looking cold and wintry over the next five days.... yippee....

Somewhat puzzled by the mountain forecast as it doesn't tie in with the yellow warning area.

I think it will change, the models seem to have various disturbances which will probably result in flash warnings after everyone has ground to a halt.LoL

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

I don't really know what point you're trying to make or how it is relevant to my post. A number of places have not seen any settling snow since 2013.

That is not what you said though, you claim many places have not seen falling snow since 2013 which is simply not true but I do accept most snow events since then have been localised and not long lasting so people's memories of them is clearly vague.

Do feel January 2016 was very close to be an epic month for coldies but things just did not quite fully fall for the UK so again, its get forgotten about that at times, it was actually quite a cold month.

Anyways back to this cold snap/spell, the possibility of snowfall and lying snowfall across North Western areas is quite high and there should be quite a few reports of thundersnow also, especially across Scotland where thicknesses are very low, will be an interesting few days for sure.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Somewhat puzzled by the mountain forecast as it doesn't tie in with the yellow warning area.

I think it will change, the models seem to have various disturbances which will probably result in flash warnings after everyone has ground to a halt.LoL

Hello fellow glossopdale resident.... pretty much happens quite a bit doesnt it.... warning after the event....pretty good model over the last few winters for our area has to be this.....http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/aromezoom.php?mode=145&x=4100.6&y=612.68&ech=42&zoom=4....

Posted
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Hello fellow glossopdale resident.... pretty much happens quite a bit doesnt it.... warning after the event....pretty good model over the last few winters for our area has to be this.....http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/aromezoom.php?mode=145&x=4100.6&y=612.68&ech=42&zoom=4....

I have to ascend and descend either the snake or Chunel Rushup edge Winnitts to get to Hope for work hence the attention to whats gonna come at us from above.

Not to give my loc away too much, I can see the new Glosslumdale school being erected from my back garden, good views when it snows.

Posted

Glossslum haha...... i like the fact that if we dont get much in town/ at home if i want a snow fix it will have snowed and most of the time a lot so can go for a walk in it around the peaks.... 

Posted
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Glossslum haha...... i like the fact that if we dont get much in town/ at home if i want a snow fix it will have snowed and most of the time a lot so can go for a walk in it around the peaks.... 

We are generally in a good position for snow. I move here 12 years ago and 2004 was a white xmas for starters, I've seen more snow in that time than the 25 years in Failsworth.

I think things will come good this over the next few days, we live near a snow magnet.

Posted

Moved up here from kent in may 2013..... had offer accepted on house in early feb.... was bitterly cold up here with strong wind....watched people on here and photos of the march 2013 snow.... but was great spring blue skies and 20-22c... painting house and  putting furniture together with doors and windows open.... 

Posted
3 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Moved up here from kent in may 2013..... had offer accepted on house in early feb.... was bitterly cold up here with strong wind....watched people on here and photos of the march 2013 snow.... but was great spring blue skies and 20-22c... painting house and  putting furniture together with doors and windows open.... 

I was going to say you'd be easy to spot cos of your accent but a lot have moved up norf to our picturesque region including half of the BBC breakfast crew.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
31 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

That is not what you said though, you claim many places have not seen falling snow since 2013 which is simply not true but I do accept most snow events since then have been localised and not long lasting so people's memories of them is clearly vague.

Do feel January 2016 was very close to be an epic month for coldies but things just did not quite fully fall for the UK so again, its get forgotten about that at times, it was actually quite a cold month.

Anyways back to this cold snap/spell, the possibility of snowfall and lying snowfall across North Western areas is quite high and there should be quite a few reports of thundersnow also, especially across Scotland where thicknesses are very low, will be an interesting few days for sure.

Settling snow then.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I don't think there has ever been a decent risk of snow in the south? I'm just looking at yesterday's ECM run for the south and it's very similar to tonight's. 

Hmm...

Posted
11 hours ago, Ian Ballinger said:

I'm sure I've had colder days than what's being forecast, so why's everyone getting so excited?

This is much more active than the 3 HP couple or 3 days we`ve had so far with pretty sharp frost.

This looks like something like January 23rd 2015,better would help with stronger winds and some drifting.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

I was going to say you'd be easy to spot cos of your accent but a lot have moved up norf to our picturesque region including half of the BBC breakfast crew.

Hirlam 18z has 5-9cm for our part of the world by thursday evening....

IMG_1237.PNG

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

An upgrade! 

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

T+48 17011218_1018.gif Only 7 more runs to go.

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Settling snow then.

Yes, quite a few places haven't seen settling snow since early 2013. We're one of those places. We had a few dustings in March 2013 and then one day with a sprinkling in February 2015, but apart from that no measurable lying snow for 4 years now.

A lot of recent events have been bone dry or simply marginal.

Posted
22 minutes ago, reef said:

Yes, quite a few places haven't seen settling snow since early 2013. We're one of those places. We had a few dustings in March 2013 and then one day with a sprinkling in February 2015, but apart from that no measurable lying snow for 4 years now.

A lot of recent events have been bone dry or simply marginal.

Lucky lad. Haven't had lying snow since 2010!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Get set folks

C11w6vXXEAAARB6.jpg

I have one bugbear...there's no such thing as 'excessive snowfall' :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Well over the top that graphic, I don't class a couple of inches as excessive snowfall, and that's what most in the NW England will be lucky to see, me included.