Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell 11th January onwards

Nick L

Posted
7 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

Calamity imminent...vast majority now removed from met office warnings...extreme coasts only now....you couldn't make it up.

I didn't get where all the excitement was coming from in the first place

Posted

I think the end of this week has been massively over hyped by the media.  This is probably because many parts of the UK have not seen any snow since 2003 !  I'm sure most people will be happy with 1cm and seeing some wintry showers.  None of which requires front page headlines or a warning as that is for disruption to transport etc i.e. more than 5cm .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

From the beeb forecast it didn't look that cold down south, just an average cold snap, not lasting long either.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

I think the end of this week has been massively over hyped by the media.  This is probably because many parts of the UK have not seen any snow since 2003 !  I'm sure most people will be happy with 1cm and seeing some wintry showers.  None of which requires front page headlines or a warning as that is for disruption to transport etc i.e. more than 5cm .

2003?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow snow warning just issued for the south

Issued at:12:19 on Tue 10 Jan 2017

Valid from:10:00 on Thu 12 Jan 2017

Valid to:21:00 on Thu 12 Jan 2017

Rain moving eastwards across the south of the UK on Thursday may turn to snow in places. Whilst this is unlikely, there is a small chance of snow settling with disruption to road, rail and air services as well as interruptions to power supplies and other utilities. Associated heavy rain and strong winds may prove additional hazards.

If the area of heavy rain moves further north, this would pull cold air into the system and bring snow to parts of southern England and south Wales. At the same time heavy rain will likely persist in some areas along with the potential for some locally strong winds.

C1zx_HLWgAArxJv.jpg

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Warnings_Rain&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1484179200&regionName=sw

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

2003?

Was 2010 a dream?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
23 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

That's incorrect as a lot of the winter of 2009/10 was white country wide and again in late Nov/Dec 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes, and in the West Midlands 2003 was absolutely crap but was brilliant in 09/10/13, typical though I was there in 03 and had moved elsewhere by those other years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

So panic over then? Remember, when the Met Office warnings are updated the old ones often disappear a few minutes before the updated ones appear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

Surely that 2003 is a typo? Can someone dig out one of the satellite images of the entire nation covered in snow from either 2009 or 10 please :D

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Yellow snow warning just issued for the south

Issued at:12:19 on Tue 10 Jan 2017

Valid from:10:00 on Thu 12 Jan 2017

Valid to:21:00 on Thu 12 Jan 2017

Rain moving eastwards across the south of the UK on Thursday may turn to snow in places. Whilst this is unlikely, there is a small chance of snow settling with disruption to road, rail and air services as well as interruptions to power supplies and other utilities. Associated heavy rain and strong winds may prove additional hazards.

If the area of heavy rain moves further north, this would pull cold air into the system and bring snow to parts of southern England and south Wales. At the same time heavy rain will likely persist in some areas along with the potential for some locally strong winds.

C1zx_HLWgAArxJv.jpg

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Warnings_Rain&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1484179200&regionName=sw

Bizarre "warning" that. Never seen them issue a warning for something even they admit probably won't happen. I'd put it at a less than 10% chance of it happening. They'll no doubt stick with their guns throughout though...

7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Bizarre "warning" that. Never seen them issue a warning for something even they admit probably won't happen. I'd put it at a less than 10% chance of it happening. They'll no doubt stick with their guns throughout though...

It surprises me that they have done this and at the same time and reducing the snow zone from NW winds streamers.

I know which one is more likley.

Posted
1 minute ago, J10 said:

It surprises me that they have done this and at the same time and reducing the snow zone from NW winds streamers.

I know which one is more likley.

I think it sets a bad precedent, that's what concerns me most. Are we going to see every sleety cold rain event have a warning "just in case" from now on?

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

Surely that 2003 is a typo? Can someone dig out one of the satellite images of the entire nation covered in snow from either 2009 or 10 please :D

Probably meant 2013, and to be fair many places haven't seen any snow since then.

Posted

The placing of that warning doesn't even tally up with what they have in the text anyway. If the system moves north in their hypothetical scenario, then the SE corner certainly won't be getting snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not sure, but this looks like just rain for low levels in the west? been monitoring this, as on every run there has been a slight shift west, now the mild sector is over us, not in the north sea, looks like a trough, where I was hoping for lower thicknesses with convective snow

hgt500-1000.png

Posted

Their forecast has 2C and 'sleet' by 3pm for me and snow for some places in Devon so presumably there's some potential, and they think enough for it to creep into the yellow on their weather impact/likelihood matrix.

I'm not expecting it though just something to keep half an eye on

Posted

So what's happened to Thurs/Fri as main days for snow risk? Latest Beeb forecasts show rain in south with snow showers in North.

Only yday things looked 'better' for snow almost anywhere. So how can people trust charts 10 days out, as evidenced now in Mod disc thread? Baffled!