Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2017 Thoughts, hopes, wishes, forecasts etc...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

2nd April in a row where the final week has winter making a desperate last stand. You had your chance months ago, sod off!

I personally welcome wintry weather at any time of year. If we can get some snow falling at the end of April that would be lovely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

2nd April in a row where the final week has winter making a desperate last stand. You had your chance months ago, sod off!

yes as i nick has said, if the weather gets cold enough for snow it can sod off! Thunder is a different matter. It can do that.

Posted
10 hours ago, Nick L said:

It never actually made a first stand!

Its all rather typical though isn't it. Greenland highs and northerly blocking seem impossible in winter but then in spring and summer up it pops.

If it was a clean northerly with sunshine and heavy wintry showers then I wouldn't mind, but it doesn't look that way unfortunately.

Posted

Has been snowing here since the early hours and is expected to continue for another 24 hours or so. Which is a shame, since we had a great start to spring. Hoping the fact it is hovering at 0-1 degrees means there won't be too much damage to the fruit crops.

Moldova had a decent winter, but ironically, this is likely the heaviest precipitation single event. Not really accumulating much away from the sides of paths, grass, etc. Not quite cold enough for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
12 hours ago, Relativistic said:

I personally welcome wintry weather at any time of year. If we can get some snow falling at the end of April that would be lovely.

Can't say I feel the same. I'm personally not interested in fleeting sleet and snow showers that have a virtually zero chance of setting during daylight hours!

I love winter, but we're nearly in May and I want beer garden weather now please. For the second year in a row it's looking chilly for my visit to the Reading beer festival...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Can't say I feel the same. I'm personally not interested in fleeting sleet and snow showers that have a virtually zero chance of setting during daylight hours!

I love winter, but we're nearly in May and I want beer garden weather now please. For the second year in a row it's looking chilly for my visit to the Reading beer festival...

Aug/Sept is Summer! not May 

Posted
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aug/Sept is Summer! not May 

I never said May was summer did I? :cc_confused:

And the irony of that post is that September isn't a summer month either!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
19 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I never said May was summer did I? :cc_confused:

And the irony of that post is that September isn't a summer month either!

No you didn't, but beer garden weather to many is Summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

See I just love seeing snow, whether it's settling or not. If it's falling from the sky and I can walk through it I'm happy.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

See I just love seeing snow, whether it's settling or not. If it's falling from the sky and I can walk through it I'm happy.

Don't get me wrong, if I see falling snow this late in the seasonI would find it quite exciting, but I'd still rather be able to sit outside comfortably in pleasantly warm sunshine!

• Like 1

Posted

Don't get me wrong, if I see falling snow this late in the seasonI would find it quite exciting, but I'd still rather be able to sit outside comfortably in pleasantly warm sunshine!

Probably have a good foot and half here this morning. Meh, i was wearing shorts last week.

I'm a seasonal weather lover. This for sure is not seasonal

• Like 1

Posted

Well, scrap that. Comes just below my knee and I'm not small. The city is trashed, as most people switched to summer tires already and the snow, because it is wetter than our usual winter snow, has downed trees all over.

And tomorrow, no doubt floods, as it heads up to 8 degrees.

0-02-05-25c71c2541d2e63c580dc3f67ca7fdc2d093671926c4f1d0c1a7d8feb92c4b3e_full.jpg

Edited by jvenge
  • Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, jvenge said:

Well, scrap that. Comes just below my knee and I'm not small. The city is trashed, as most people switched to summer tires already and the snow, because it is wetter than our usual winter snow, has downed trees all over.

And tomorrow, no doubt floods, as it heads up to 8 degrees.

0-02-05-25c71c2541d2e63c580dc3f67ca7fdc2d093671926c4f1d0c1a7d8feb92c4b3e_full.jpg

Now if I could get that next week I'd be more interested!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Now if I could get that next week I'd be more interested!

Quite an interesting event. Massively inconvenient and damaging, but it was beautiful to watch. MetO model called it the most correct. ECM was going for almost all of it sleet. GEFS had the timing of it wrong. Only the UKMO were committed to the intensity and it falling as snow, even the timing were spot on. This is all run to run as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
18 hours ago, Relativistic said:

I have developed a deep loathing for snow these days..i cant seem to get away from the stuff..here we are in the third week of April and yet another weekend of snow and sub zero temps is forecast..at this rate i might have to move to Arizona..its no good at all :help:

Posted

I wonder how damaging the frosts could be this year?

Last year, despite the exceptional December, Mother Nature was checked somewhat by the cooler late winter and early to mid spring.

This year we've had a very mild February, March and first half of April, so Mother Nature has advanced unabated more or less.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We might not even fall below freezing here. Lowest temp I see is 1C, so I am hoping that we don't get any damaging frosts. 

Posted
On 21/04/2017 at 17:10, Weather-history said:

I wonder how damaging the frosts could be this year?

Last year, despite the exceptional December, Mother Nature was checked somewhat by the cooler late winter and early to mid spring.

This year we've had a very mild February, March and first half of April, so Mother Nature has advanced unabated more or less.

I was thinking the same.  The apple blossom for example was out in the 2nd week of May last year so missed the end of April northerly. 

This year, a lot of it is full out now. Also most trees are coming into leaf and looking at my pictures (and Google street view which coincidentally was taken on this day in 2011), it seems to be almost as advanced as it was then.

Our local orchard isn't as worried about frost so much (being on slopes above the valley helps and just say -1C probably wouldn't do much), but decent temperatures for pollinating insects which don't look like happening next week so it depends if we have had decent pollination by then.

I'm thinking in the valley here I could get around -3C on Wednesday night. March was unusually lacking in frosts here, only recording -0.8C, and February only had -2.6C.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow warnings issued for Central, Tayside & Fife, Grampian, Highlands & Eilean Siar

Between 04:00 Mon 24th and 11:00 Mon 24th

An area of sleet and snow will move southwards during Monday morning. Heavier snowfall is expected to affect higher level routes where 2-5 cm of snow is likely to accumulate in places, whilst 1 to 2 cm is possible to lower levels. Some transport routes may be affected, with journeys requiring longer travel times.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A change to much colder conditions will take place across Scotland during Sunday night and Monday morning, with showers turning increasingly to sleet and snow over hills. During Monday morning, an area of more persistent sleet and snow is expected to move south across the northern half of Scotland, with some roads across the Highlands and Grampians likely to be affected by accumulating snow.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=ta&date=2017-04-24