Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2017 Thoughts, hopes, wishes, forecasts etc...

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
13 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

could do without charts like this, this April, horrid, as I don't live at 300m asl, I mean who at low levels south, would want this late April, when warm sunny weather possible?

archives-2016-4-27-0-0.png

Can understand somone not wanting a chart llike that in late april but i thought late april was one of the more if not the most interesting spell of weather we had during 2016. Our weather the last few yrs has become a borefest at least it broke the monotony if only for a short while imo.

Edited by sundog

Posted
3 hours ago, sundog said:

Can understand somone not wanting a chart llike that in late april but i thought late april was one of the more if not the most interesting spell of weather we had during 2016. Our weather the last few yrs has become a borefest at least it broke the monotony if only for a short while imo.

The evolution shown isn't that unusual for late April/early May and leads to the classic Buchan cold spell around the first week of May. Occasionally, we can luck out and get a prolonged spell of anticyclonic weather albeit with an E'ly hint (rather like now in fact) but no one should be surprised if we get colder interludes late in April.

Posted
6 hours ago, stodge said:

The evolution shown isn't that unusual for late April/early May and leads to the classic Buchan cold spell around the first week of May. Occasionally, we can luck out and get a prolonged spell of anticyclonic weather albeit with an E'ly hint (rather like now in fact) but no one should be surprised if we get colder interludes late in April.

Yes the second half of April and much of May marks the time of year when we are most likely to see northerly and easterly airstreams, thanks to the PV giving up the ghost and the atlantic going into its annual slumber. Some years can bring cold cyclonic conditions, late April last year being a case in point, also 2012, others can bring a marked east/west divide with warmest weather in the west, early May 2008 being a very good examples, some can bring notably cold weather for the time of year May 1996 for instance. It is a very difficult time of year to predict weatherwise and as May 97 can flip from winter to summer in the space of 48 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 hours ago, stodge said:

Would that be strong westerly winds by any chance? Seems to be the norm nowadays - the return of the westerlies in early May after a fairly settled April. Back end of May however I can remember many warm easterly spells.

Posted

Exceptional warmth for March here. The min last night was 12.4C, beating the previous 37 year record set in 2000 by a whole 0.6C. Today is already up to a max of 17.7C, which is the 6th warmest March day in the same 1980-2017 period.

The mean temp of 15.1C beats the previous high of 14.3C on 18th March 1990 by quite some way.

March as a whole is on a mean of 8.6C, so we're certain to beat March 1990's record of 8.4C now.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

18C here, so the warmest day of the year. Low of 12C as well, very mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

yesterday i recorded my warmest day of the yr so far,17.2c warmest march day since 2012.

All this warmth at this time of yr,recent history has shown us a poor summer awaits.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
54 minutes ago, Don said:

I expect that will probably get watered down closer to the time.

You are probably right there, throughout the winter promising cold-weather synopsis a fortnight or even ten days out has tended to be watered down as the time for it to occur drew near. I expect this mid-April one to occur however, as a good number of the weather models predict it and the stratospheric wind/pressure pattern over the Arctic and sub-arctic is predicted to weaken and then become easterly in the next ten days- this is (again) consistently indicated. A weakening of the high-latitude Stratospheric Westerlies and their then becoming easterly if, of course normal during April as the high Arctic high Stratosphere warms up under the 24-hour sunlight that commences this month; however a sizeable patch of colder stratosphere is predicted to cover Russia with a strong warmer "high" over northern Canada and Greenland by mid-month. This is quite consistently predicted and it is certainly conceivable that an influence of this upper-air pattern will affect the troposphere below- leading to anomalously north or (at least) north-west winds over Britain.

However, the strength of the Westerlies high up above the Equator (it has already been like this for several months) and the temperature-patterns across the North Atlantic may yet lead to a more Atlantic influence getting into the mix, hence the Arctic spell (when it occurs) may well be north-westerlies with one or two wet and less-cold westerly interruptions. All the same, this still leaves plenty of scope for snow-showers across the North and for night frosts to occur as far south as Bristol and Guildford.  

Posted

March actually finished as quite a wet month here (certainly compared to many recent Marches) - the wettest March in Wales since 2006 (also after a dry winter) and second wettest since 1998.  It was also the wettest month since last September and the second wettest month since January 2016, although not a complete washout as some of the intervening months have been quite dry.  Looking at this graph, I'm glad I don't remember March 1981!

Wales.gif

Posted

A warm and sunny start to April here in NE England. With a positive forecast this month could rival April 07/ 11/ 15:) It has often been the best month of the year in the last decade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

It's not been too bad for those on Easter hols this week, and this weekend promises more warmth and sunshine. Good that at least some of the recent fine weather has coincided with a weekend. More people will start their holidays this weekend, so I'd imagine the roads will be busy Friday with people wanting to enjoy Saturday. 

The March 2017 summary is out from the Met Office. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2017/march

Like April can be, such a month of contrasts. 14cm snow in Co. Durham and 7cm snow in Midlothian and 22.1C in Kent by the end of March

• Like 1