Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2017 Thoughts, hopes, wishes, forecasts etc...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
25 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i thought there was a theory somewhere that there were indeed wet and dry cycles off weather across NW Europe spanning decades or even centuries?? The theory goes something like 6/7 years of wetter weather will prevail followed by a drier period of the same kind of duration etc or something like that

I'm pretty happy with some rain. Our totals are very low here going into Spring/Summer. Some provisos: warm, dry days in between the rain; no deluges to wash out the plants/seeds; some T&L to make the rain worth it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

gavsweathervids.com spring forecast going for a milder than average spring (quite significantly colder interlude possible March or early April) with rainfall probably above average

Summary at 18:30

Posted

Further ahead (next weekend and into the week after)

Slower changes
Still unsettled
Mild for most but coldest in the north

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/39097773

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Most long range forecasts are going for a wet mild Spring.. my own hunch based similiar on intuition is that we will see a mild one, though the north will see some colder than average conditions at times especially first half of season. Also suspect we will see a very unsettled one, with low pressure finding its home over the country steered by weak height development to our NW. Perhaps something more settled to end the season (I hope)..

Posted

No science but based on the the last few years on the farm I feel that the seasons are running two months behind in this area  for example last summer which was cool damp and sunless especially July was followed by a very  dry sunny mild September and October. On this basis the next two months will be cool and wet with  permanant snow cover returning to the mountains  until early May. This would follow the pattern of the last few springs when turnout date for cattle to grass has gone from the average of the 20th of April for many years to now   the middle  of May. Hoping I  am wrong though.

Posted

The weather outlook have issued their spring forecast

Spring: Warmer than average

Overview

After a chilly start temperatures for much of the three-month period are forecast to be above average. Rainfall is predicted to be slightly above average.

Temperature: Above average

Precipitation: Slightly above average

March

Temperature: Close to average

April

Temperature: Above average

May

Temperature: Slightly above average

Precipitation Slightly below average

Full forecast here

Posted
On 2/26/2017 at 22:48, Northernlights said:

No science but based on the the last few years on the farm I feel that the seasons are running two months behind in this area  for example last summer which was cool damp and sunless especially July was followed by a very  dry sunny mild September and October. On this basis the next two months will be cool and wet with  permanant snow cover returning to the mountains  until early May. This would follow the pattern of the last few springs when turnout date for cattle to grass has gone from the average of the 20th of April for many years to now   the middle  of May. Hoping I  am wrong though.

That is an interesting fact you quote there, actual dates for putting your cattle in the fields. Not something anyone can dispute.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

17.5c recorded in St James's Park, London this afternoon

-17.5c recorded as a high here...anyway lights and tunnels is my watch word today for spring.

Posted

Evening all :)

I'm sure fans of warmth are going to be enjoying tomorrow and indeed much of next week but the question for me is whether there will be another colder spell before the end of the month or even into April.

It's not unusual for mild early springs to be interrupted by the return of something more wintry and it's quite possible to see snow even at low levels at the end of March under the right synoptics.

Early signs of a mid-month cold spell came to nothing and while FI continues to tease, we've yet to see anything reliable come into view.

I don't like spring - it's my least favourite time of year and I realise that probably makes me a minority of one but for me it means just a few weeks until hay fever purgatory begins.

My thought (and indeed hope) is for a notably colder spell of weather around month end and into April with a northerly or ne'ly outbreak as the PV eases away and heights rise to the NW. 

• Like 1